Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
You are being watched
5,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What difference do you think there'd be between today's state of TNA, and that of if they got the Spike deal in, lets say 2004, and broke up from the NWA then aswell? Would they be in the same boat, with constant 1.1 ratings, a mediocre product with huge potential? Or will they be in a much better state than that, with a captivating product, and appealing to more people?

·
The Dynasty
473 Posts
A simple answer, I believe they would be in the same boat assuming that all of the same signings happened. AJ Styles can't draw a dime. He can do cool moves but as far as a mainstream view, he isn't mainstream. He can't cut a promo and his voice and loudness ruins his promos which is a key factor in being a household name. Samoa Joe would most likely still get looked over because he is not a meat head. You can't build a company around just Kurt Angle, as we've seen. Abyss is great but writers and stories have protrayed him as a lackey and nothing more. An enhancer, really. I can't really think of anyone in TNA that can do anything great without leadership. They like to go month to month with no real long outline and that will eventually be their downfall.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
It wouldn't matter if they had got the TV deal in 2002, Impact would still stay at its stagnant 1.1.Why?

• Vince Russo would still be writing his highly unconsistent 1990's throwback.
  • Dixie Carter would still be a very inexperienced leader.
  • Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and Abyss are never going to make a huge impact on the general public.

Ironically enough,the only thing that would guarantee Impact a 0.5 overnight rise in the ratings would be if Jarrett had bought the WCW brand in 2001. WCW Nitro would probably pull a 2.0 weekly average in the mid noughties, even if it was simply the TNA product with the WCW name attached.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Im really lost on why people are down on TNA right now. Impact was fantastic this week, all the stories make sense, they arent pushing anyone that needs help walking down the ramp, I mean it is just working. I WANT to see Anderson -vs- Hardy, I WANT to see Pope -vs- Joe, I WANT to see the MEM return and go to war with Immortal.

I dont understand what is wrong with the current TNA product.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
It's funny because WCW was getting better ratings than TNA now when they were having Tank Abbot stab a jobber called Big Al with a butter knife, and Kevin Nash broke Goldbergs streak.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Im really lost on why people are down on TNA right now. Impact was fantastic this week, all the stories make sense, they arent pushing anyone that needs help walking down the ramp, I mean it is just working. I WANT to see Anderson -vs- Hardy, I WANT to see Pope -vs- Joe, I WANT to see the MEM return and go to war with Immortal.

You got this opinion from just one week? Are you really such a casual fly-by-night wrestling fan?

its about a streak of goodness a long term trend that determines a products strength

·
Registered
251 Posts

Ill tell you whats wrong with TNA it stopped being about the action and started being about the products its all wrong when it was a one hour show they jammed as much action in as they could now they spend the better part of an hour with replays and plugs or even better standing in the ring talking

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
TNA Keep signing everyone and the rating remain the same. Hulk, Eric, RVD, Hardy and Anderson $4 million dollars just to get the same ratings

·
Registered
571 Posts

if you dont understand what is wrong with TNA's product you have no idea about wrestling.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It's funny because WCW was getting better ratings than TNA now when they were having Tank Abbot stab a jobber called Big Al with a butter knife, and Kevin Nash broke Goldbergs streak.
WCW was drawing hi 4s and 5.0s when Nash defeated Goldberg. WCW was drawing more than RAW and IMPACT combined.

WCW, even in its dying days, was doing more than Smackdown is now and wasnt too far off of where RAW currently is. In fact WCWs last Nitro drew a 3.1 and WWE RAW drew a 3.1 this week.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
if you dont understand what is wrong with TNA's product you have no idea about wrestling.
I know plenty about how the business works. I understand TNA has flaws but people act like it is the worst thing in the history of wrestling. It isnt. Their world champion is a multitalented wrestler that has every gift needed to be a great champion. Their tag champs are probably the best tag team from 2008 to today in all of wrestling. It isnt like Hogan is the World Champ and the Nasty Boys are the tag champs. Then I could understand why everyone loves hating on them so much.

Yes, they have problems, but so does everyone else in the game. They might not be ran correctly behind the scenes but, on television, they are fine. Could they be better? Sure, they could be in bigger arenas and they could learn how to market. But the show I watched last Thursday was good and the last 4-6 weeks has been pretty good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts