Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw an interview with Hulk Hogan where he stated that he thought of retiring in 1989 or 1990.

What if Hogan had retired then? Would he be considered an even greater wrestling sueprstar than he is today. TBH, his later years in TNA and his mess with the family issues has tarnished his legacy more than the steroid scandal ever did.

Becasue if he stopped at his peak wich was around 1989-1991. The Legend of Hulk Hogan would have been awesome IMO.

But another thought would be him retiring after putting over Bret at WM 10, to make a comeback at WM 18 to wrestle the Rock, and wrestle HBK at WM 19 and finally wrestle Asutin at WM 20 and then retire forever.

Reactions: Stuart82

·
Registered
119 Posts
This might not be popular...but I think the fact that Hogan lives on in wrestling just adds to the legacy..he is the immortal Hulk Hogan. Truth be told, I don't watch any wrestling as often as I once did...i still catch an occasional episode of aj/wwe/tna/roh etc...but it's probably fair to say I miss most the cringe worthy moments - but it's still kinda cool that I see him on TV from time to time...that impresses the hell out of me, regardless of if I think he should be there or not. Maybe the fact that I don't care about todays wrestling has a part to play...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Nope.Hogan was the main man who started the second boom by turning heel.That may not have made him into a bigger star,but it did prove or rather disprove the age old notion that heels can't draw.Hogan showed the world that if you're a legit big star,you should be able to draw no matter whether as a heel or face.So,it did enhance his legacy,no two ways about it.

However,he should have retired after WM18,IMHO.

PS:How ironic it would have been if because of Hogan turning heel WWF went out of business? Hogan-the man who built this house(WWF),almost literally destroyed it.But thanks to Austin and The GOAT:rock4,WWF survived and instead WCW went out of business:lol

·
Banned
586 Posts
If he retired and didn't end up going to WCW and having the NWO and everything else he would still be considered the GOAT. He put wrestling on the mainstream map in a way that it became part of popular culture. He main evented WrestleMania after WrestleMania after WrestleMania making that a success and henceforth the WWF the dominant number one company. His legacy has been tarnished somewhat lately but I don't think that can take away from being the GOAT :hogan

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
He would probably be remembered a lot more favorably than what he is today by certain people. Even more so if he'd died. But he would still have been the biggest name to come from Wrestling.

As for the NWO, I suspect Randy Savage or Sting would have replaced him, been successful but not had nearly the same impact that Hogan had at that time.

·
Learnt to break kayfabe
250 Posts
Nope.Hogan was the main man who started the second boom by turning heel.That may not have made him into a bigger star,but it did prove or rather disprove the age old notion that heels can't draw.Hogan showed the world that if you're a legit big star,you should be able to draw no matter whether as a heel or face.So,it did enhance his legacy,no two ways about it.

However,he should have retired after WM18,IMHO.

PS:How ironic it would have been if because of Hogan turning heel WWF went out of business? Hogan-the man who built this house(WWF),almost literally destroyed it.But thanks to Austin and The GOAT:rock4,WWF survived and instead WCW went out of business:lol
I was going to say that it would've been great if Hogan retired, but I never thought of it how you put it.
HOGAN IS ATTITUDE :hogan

Reactions: Boots2Asses

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
He did what not everyone can do. He EXTENDED his legacy. Honestly, had he retired he wouldn't have meant much to the next generation. A guy like me would've found out who he was but it would've been like how I know Piper, Iron Sheik and so on. I would've recognized he was that guy in the generation before mine. I'm 24, I was NEVER a Hulkamaniac, why would I have been? My first Wrestlemania was 14. I was like 7. His nWo work extended his legacy to the generation of 90's kids. Piper didn't do that and he was around in '97. There's a ton of old guys who were never awesome to me like Duggan. But Hogan and his nWo work made him awesome for my generation.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Hulk Hogan considered retiring in 1990 but he didn't move into Hollywood anywhere near the level he thought he would, had Hulk Hogan have become a success in Hollywood then he probably wouldn't have returned. In reality though I don't think Hulk Hogan would have retired as he loves the limelight too much and he worked such a light schedule back in his WWE prime him retiring would have been pointless.

Mid careers and tag teams were the genuine workhorses of WWE back then and were the ones who would work long matches on tv and house shows all the time whilst the top stars outside of Randy Savage worked less and much shorter matches outside of PPV which was only 3 to 4 times a year back then.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I have asked myself this question many times. When I ask myself the question who is the most important people in wrestling history there are only two names that come up for the top spot. Hulk Hogan and Vince McMahon. The gap after these two is huge. No one else is really even close, imo. To play out the scenario you have created I think Hogan would be much more respected than he is today. His 4 year reign would be what everyone remembered and if he had put Hart over no one would be calling him selfish as he would have put Warrior and Hart over.

This being said, if there was no NWO heel turn, I think it would have altered the course of wrestling history to the point that there may have been no AE style edgier product. I have heard the argument that Vince could have found another person to pull of the Hulkamania gimmick, but there is no other person that could have pulled off the heel turn that sparked the NWO boom. No face has ever been less likely to turn on the fans than Hogan. If you look at the WWE product before the heel turn, Vince was not headed in the direction of an edgier product at all. It wasn't until he saw the success of the NWO and was backed into a corner that he went full throttle in that direction

Had there been no Hogan heel turn, I don't think Bischoff would have become nearly as arrogant and would not have been near as aggressive in luring WWE stars away. IMO, No Hogan heel turn equals no Montreal Screw Job, which brings the possibility of no Austin/McMahon. I think both products would still be going today with no Hogan heel turn, but I don't think it would have ever gotten nearly as big as it did

I had stopped watching in 95 the products were so bad. Once Hogan turned the product once again became must see. I had started tuning in a little when Shawn won the belt, but it wasn't too important to me.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Had Hogan retired in 1989,the gap between him and Austin would have be negligible(Provided The second boom took place and everything else took place as well).

The reason Hulk Hogan is widely regarded as GOAT is not just because of his Hulkamania run.His heel turn sparked another boom period as well

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I don't see how this would have HELPED his legacy any. As of now he was both the most popular babyface of all time (Hulkamania in the 80s) and the most hated heel of all time. Doesn't get much more impressive than that.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand, his heel turn was epic and the nWo was groundbreaking. IMO, Hollywood Hogan is one of the top 5 wrestling characters of all-time. On the other hand, I think that Hogan did a lot of damage to his legacy in later years. When the late '90's rolled around fans were a lot more aware of the backstage politics in wrestling, and never was there a bigger politician than Hogan. Whether it was bringing in his old cronies on inflated contracts, holding down young talent, or refusing to put Sting over clean at Starrcade '97, pretty much everybody in the IWC has heard some kind of story that paints Hogan in a negative light. Not to mention that his match quality, which was never very good to begin with, really took a nosedive during this time. So yes, the nWo was cool and different for a while and broke some new ground in the late '90's, but during this time Hogan also polluted the market with shit matches and monopolized the WCW title for a long time during the Monday Night Wars when a lot of other guys (and WCW as a whole) could have benefited from holding it for a while.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
I think he'd still be considered one of the all time greats given what he did in the 80's. Still do we see the wrestling boom of the 90's if Hogan hadn't turned heel and formed the NWO in 1996?

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Definitely would still be one of the GOATs but he wouldnt be as far ahead of the pack as he is now. Guys like Austin and The Rock would probably be a little closer to him.

I think it would have had a profound effect on WCW too. Without Hogan WCW would have been a distant second to the WWF throughout the 90s imo. Although on the other hand that may have lead to them surviving in the long run as a smaller company rather than the boom and bust that occured.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Had Hogan retired in 1989,the gap between him and Austin would have be negligible(Provided The second boom took place and everything else took place as well).

The reason Hulk Hogan is widely regarded as GOAT is not just because of his Hulkamania run.His heel turn sparked another boom period as well
There wouldn't be an Attitude Era if Hogan retired. No competitive WCW, Monday Night Wars means no SCSA. I'm not sure if Austin ever leaves WCW.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
^I agree.But I did mention provided nothing else changed.No wonder Hogan is the greatest of all time.If you take him out of the equation,no one knows how wrestling would have been

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
Without Hogan, the NWO doesn't reach the same level of success and WCW doesn't overtake WWF in the ratings. That means WCW doesn't reach the same peak of success and prominence as they did and the Monday Night Wars don't become as intense. I don't see how Hogan would have a better legacy by not demonstrating to the world what a successful heel he could be and what kind of mark he could leave in another company separate from WWF.

Hogan's absence from the wrestling world in the mid-90's doesn't mean things automatically change drastically for WWF, though. ECW was more of an influence for WWF to take the edgier path than WCW was. You can see things slowly becoming edgier as far back as late '95, with Diesel being the first one to flip the bird on TV (twice), the Austin 3:16 promo and the Goldust character that preyed on the homophobic fears of men and pushed the boundaries with stuff like rubbing Razor Ramon's chest (and acting like he enjoyed it when Ramon slapped him on the ass) and kissing Ahmed Johnson while he was unconscious, etc. I know WWF getting annihilated in the ratings provided a huge motivation for them to come back with full force creatively speaking, but still, once Austin got over and Vince saw what he had in him, I feel the AE still would have happened in some form.

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts
Great question. And I'm going to look at it slightly different.
(Sorry for the long post, but as I thought more about this, I just kept thinking about 'What If' scenarios)

For the sake of argument, I'll go with Hogan retiring after his match with the Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 6 & makes some movies that people actually liked.

1991:
Assuming that the Warrior's backstage attitude & career stayed the same & Vince decided to go ahead with Sarge playing the Iraqi Sympathizer, someone else would have had to become the top guy. I would guess Randy Savage since he was probably the biggest name in the WWF after Hogan.
So the main event at Wrestlemania 7 would have either been Sgt. Slaughter vs. The Ultimate Warrior - where the Warrior tried to regain the title, or sometime in late 1990, Savage would have had a change of heart & not like that Slaughter was disrespecting the United States & ends up challenging Sarge.
So the winner of the 1990 Royal Rumble would have been Savage.

So Savage would have been THE guy in the WWF. So the early 1990's would have been built around Randy. It's possible that as the top guy (for at least a couple of years) Savage doesn't sign with WCW.

NEW MAIN EVENT?:
I would imagine that Curt Hennig & Rick Rude would have been serious main event players against Savage. And Dibiase would have probably been put back into programs with Savage as well. If that was the case, it's possible that by 1992, one or two of these three may have become WWF Champions. I would imagine that Rick Rude would have stayed in the WWF if the main event opened up a little more. And if Rude stayed in the WWF, he wouldn't have injured his back in WCW...

1992:
If Flair still signed with the WWF & the angle played out the same, the 1992 Royal Rumble may have still featured the winner becoming the WWF Champion. But the events leading up to it may have been different. Instead of Hogan vs. Undertaker, it could have been Savage vs. Undertaker, or Vince may have inserted a more established guy (such as Dibiase for example) in that role, since much of the 1980s/early 90's revolved around Hogan going against various wrestlers & going over them.

Wrestlemania 8 would have been different. It may have still been Savage vs. Flair or something completely different.
1992 was a big transition year as so many wrestlers left the WWF. Because of that, Vince placed the WWF championship on Bret, as he needed someone he could trust wasn't going to go to WCW (Flair), take time off (Piper), get busted for steroids (Davey Boy) or act like a mental case & get fired (Warrior).

However, if the main event scene was a little more stable than what it was, Bret's chance to become the WWF Champion may not have happened in 1992.

1993:
Assuming Vince wanted the All-American character still, people may have really responded to Lex Luger. The only real problem with the All-American gimmick is that everyone saw that Vince was trying to replace Hogan with Luger and it failed because there had been no time in between the two.
But given 3 plus years without an All-American babyface, the American audience may have been ready for it & Luger could have become the WWF's main guy throughout the mid-1990's.

CONCLUSION:
Savage is the face of the WWF between 1991 - 1993; Hennig, Rude, Dibiase are serious title contenders or champions; Undertaker & Bret Hart do not become main eventers when they did (which would possibly hold off on HBK's main event run); Lex Luger may have become the next huge thing in the WWF & a multiple time WWF Champion.

I'll end my rantings here as this is getting long. So thanks to anyone who read through all this & thanks to the OP for getting me thinking about a WWF without Hogan running wild.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I probably wouldn't have quit watching WCW in 1996 and I might even say a few nice things about him today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts