Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, before I start, this isn't about if he never left WWE in 2005.
Most of us have heard rumors that Edge has/had requested a program with Christian on the main event level, possibly for a title, only to be rejected by Vince.
The question I'm asking...say if Christian was really close friends with Triple H, Orton, or both, and both of those guys wanted to put him over in a world title program, would Vince still say no or not?

· You're better than that Cole.
4,004 Posts
It doesn't matter if God himself wanted to give a push for Christian.

This will always be the line from Vince McMahon of Christian ever being in his main event, let alone being a World Heavyweight Champion.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, interesting answer. And that's probably right. It doesn't bother me much, I'm not a mark for him or anything. I just asked out of curiosity, considering HHH and Orton are the two guys reported to have the most pull backstage.

What'd be really funny is if Cena were to be like "Let me put Christian over in a title feud or I walk." Something tells me WWE would presently be wishing Cena the best in his future endeavors.

· Registered
206 Posts
The only way I could possibly see Christian getting a World Title push, is if he continues to get excellent crowd reactions, put on great matches and get in with the right people backstage. I dunno if anyone is aware of this, but when Jericho entered the WWE, Vince was against him being a World Champion, in fact Triple H derailed his push (Jericho had supporters backstage, was recieving great reactions and performing in stellar matches) The original plan was to actually have Earl Hebner refuse to reverse his decision costing Triple H the title against Jericho, however according to various reports round the time (Jericho talks a bit about it in interviews sometimes) Triple H pushed for the reverse decision and Jericho was quickly shifted to the IC picture

I guess if Jericho could go from being a 5,11 Former WCW Cruiserweight to one of the most celebrated Superstars of the Decade, anything in WWE is possible

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only way I could possibly see Christian getting a World Title push, is if he continues to get excellent crowd reactions, put on great matches and get in with the right people backstage. I dunno if anyone is aware of this, but when Jericho entered the WWE, Vince was against him being a World Champion, in fact Triple H derailed his push (Jericho had supporters backstage, was recieving great reactions and performing in stellar matches) The original plan was to actually have Earl Hebner refuse to reverse his decision costing Triple H the title against Jericho, however according to various reports round the time (Jericho talks a bit about it in interviews sometimes) Triple H pushed for the reverse decision and Jericho was quickly shifted to the IC picture

I guess if Jericho could go from being a 5,11 Former WCW Cruiserweight to one of the most celebrated Superstars of the Decade, anything in WWE is possible
Yeah, I've heard about people backstage being against Jericho, but I never heard the original plan was for the reverse decision to not happen. That's interesting. I always assumed Triple H was always just going to keep the belt warm for The Rock in 2000. Nevertheless, Jericho was definitely depushed in 2000, despite being super over. In his book Jericho says The Rock was one of the few guys on his side backstage.

Triple H seems to have issues with guys noticeably smaller than him being pushed strongly in general though. Jericho for one, and then apparently he also balked about the original plan for the Steph-Angle-HHH storyline and refused to put Angle over.

We all know Vince has a taste for big guys, too. I think if Christian were the same size as Edge or bigger, he would've been a champion by now.

· Premium Member
46,600 Posts
If Triple H was a supporter of christian, he would have at least gotten a few PPV main event title matches. I don't its any coincidence that guys like Batista & Sheamus, who are buddies of Triple H, got pushes to the title. If I'm being paranoid, then so be it.

Truth is, Christian should have been put on a path to the gold in 2005. The guy did EVERYTHING right, got over like mad, and made people excited for a match with Cena that never happened (not 1 on 1 anyway). He was ultimately jobbed out. Now? I think the steam is gone. Its not that he's a bad performer or that I can't stand seeing him. Far from it. Its just that I don't see him EVER getting as hot as he did in 2005, and to try and put a World Title on him now would seem like a waste. MAYBE a program with Edge would do it (I think he might screw Edge out of the title at Mania 27) but I don't think they struck the iron when it was hot with Christian, and the "window of opportunity" is closed.

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If Triple H was a supporter of christian, he would have at least gotten a few PPV main event title matches. I don't its any coincidence that guys like Batista & Sheamus, who are buddies of Triple H, got pushes to the title. If I'm being paranoid, then so be it.

Truth is, Christian should have been put on a path to the gold in 2005. The guy did EVERYTHING right, got over like mad, and made people excited for a match with Cena that never happened (not 1 on 1 anyway). He was ultimately jobbed out. Now? I think the steam is gone. Its not that he's a bad performer or that I can't stand seeing him. Far from it. Its just that I don't see him EVER getting as hot as he did in 2005, and to try and put a World Title on him now would seem like a waste. MAYBE a program with Edge would do it (I think he might screw Edge out of the title at Mania 27) but I don't think they struck the iron when it was hot with Christian, and the "window of opportunity" is closed.
Pretty much that's all true. The window of opportunity was missed, for sure, which is why people are mainly hoping for a "career achievement award" type title reign they gave to Benoit in 2004.

One reason he was railroaded out of the title picture in 2005 was his bad luck of being madly over at the same time Batista and Cena were getting God pushes. Even worse, Christian wasn't going to be paired with Cena when Cena was getting mixed reactions and Christian was getting face pops with consistency.

Speaking of Trips, it's kinda funny how he and Orton were purportedly friends initially. If that's the case, I always wonder why Orton kept suffering from Jericho syndrome whenever he ran into Triple H from 2004 to 2009. Orton could've been in much better shape today if Trips had put him over at any time back in the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.