Wrestling Forum banner

What I never understood about wrestling

2485 30
Well I was watching a sting match from last year and noticed how he was always getting beaten up even though he was the world champion and he was booked so strong promowise. Well if wrestling is scripted why did he keep on getting pummeled to the ground during that match. Couldn't his opponent "take it easy" on sting so they can both look credible. Instead of just his opponent. I also notice that this happens in almost all of his matches. I have seen this also happen in wwe that's why I decided to post it here. I would appreciate it if someone could explain how this can happen
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
86,252 Posts
Sting, being the world champion doesn't need help looking credible.... as it should with any major champion...but that's not always the case.

· Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sting, being the world champion doesn't need help looking credible.... as it should with any major champion...but that's not always the case.
But my point is that this always happens to him world champion or not the way he just gets dominated in a match. It is like tarnishing his legacy

· Premium Member
86,252 Posts
But my point is that this always happens to him world champion or not the way he just gets dominated in a match. It is like tarnishing his legacy
He usually ends up winning the match though. I don't see how that tarnish's his legacy.

· Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to book him like a washed up hasbeen who wins just by a grasp definitely tarnishes his legacy. The man always signs for a year long contract but Dixie always convinces him to stay and he agrees. What I am trying to say is that they guy has given up years of his health to help the company. Why book him like crap. It is like they say "we are going to book you like crap in this match. But to shut you up you will win it by a close call".

Reactions: Datrojan

· Banned
3,179 Posts
Just to book him like a washed up hasbeen who wins just by a grasp definitely tarnishes his legacy. The man always signs for a year long contract but Dixie always convinces him to stay and he agrees. What I am trying to say is that they guy has given up years of his health to help the company. Why book him like crap. It is like they say "we are going to book you like crap in this match. But to shut you up you will win it by a close call".
I hope you're trolling.

Sting knows the importance of putting over the next generation of wrestlers, so he does.

· Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I am not trolling. Also to put over new guys the shouldn't make it look almost like a squash match. They should make it even for both guys. Not the other guys beating sting up and mopping the floor with him. I don't know that's my opinion

· Banned
4,575 Posts
No I am not trolling. Also to put over new guys the shouldn't make it look almost like a squash match. They should make it even for both guys. Not the other guys beating sting up and mopping the floor with him. I don't know that's my opinion
:rolleyes:

Putting over young talent means making them look good. The best way to do that is to make it look like they are better than the veteran. That's why matches get booked that way.

· Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is someone asking how wrestling can be scripted? How someone can be booked stronger than their opponent? What is going on?
What I am trying to ask is. If wrestling is scripted then why does sting get booked like a washed up hasbeen who always just wins by a grasp. Why not book him like in his wcw crow days and make the guy who he is facing look as strong as sting. Instead of having someone like rvd for example mop the floor with him

· Dragon Slayer
6,701 Posts
What I am trying to ask is. If wrestling is scripted then why does sting get booked like a washed up hasbeen who always just wins by a grasp. Why not book him like in his wcw crow days and make the guy who he is facing look as strong as sting. Instead of having someone like rvd for example mop the floor with him

Everyone sting wrestles is younger than him. RVD is old but he has 3-4 years to contribute to TNA. Guys like Angle, Anderson, Hardy and Styles have a decade left in them. If you book them to look evenly matched with a 55 year old man they will look stupid and lose credibility. For the same reason Hulk Hogan shouldn't have been booked evenly with Shawn Michaels, Sting shouldn't be booked evenly with younger main eventers. Sting being booked even doesn't make either man look good, and doesn't give anyone or the match itself any credibility.

· Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone sting wrestles is younger than him. RVD is old but he has 3-4 years to contribute to TNA. Guys like Angle, Anderson, Hardy and Styles have a decade left in them. If you book them to look evenly matched with a 55 year old man they will look stupid and lose credibility. For the same reason Hulk Hogan shouldn't have been booked evenly with Shawn Michaels, Sting shouldn't be booked evenly with younger main eventers. Sting being booked even doesn't make either man look good, and doesn't give anyone or the match itself any credibility.
Maybe I was used to seeing hogan going roughshod all over everyone I expected that all legends should. Thanks

· Banned
4,461 Posts
No..you don't understand the basics of ring psychology. Sting taking punishment and selling leads to a big comeback and fans mark out for it, like they always have his entire career. Bret does the same thing. Austin does the same thing. All top faces of iconic legacy do the same thing except for a Randy Savage/Benoit/Eddie who work the same style as heel or face.

· Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No..you don't understand the basics of ring psychology. Sting taking punishment and selling leads to a big comeback and fans mark out for it, like they always have his entire career. Bret does the same thing. Austin does the same thing. All top faces of iconic legacy do the same thing except for a Randy Savage/Benoit/Eddie who work the same style as heel or face.
But in stings case this doesn't follow up with a big comeback. Just a death drop out of no where and win

· Registered
6,157 Posts
When somebody big retires you talk about who they beat, what Titles they won, the feuds they won, the events they main evented etc etc.

Nobody mentions how much they were dominated in matches they eventually won anyway. If anything, it means more because they (kayfabe) overcame adversary.

· Registered
20,972 Posts
Maybe I was used to seeing hogan going roughshod all over everyone I expected that all legends should. Thanks

LOL, what are you talking about? Hogan is the guy who pretty much invented the concept of the babyface getting dominated throughout the match just to pull through at the end with a huge comeback.

· Banned
411 Posts
The OP is right stings a coward. Hear me out,I had a
very short run of watching tna.Sting was a coward who could only hit people from behind with a baseball bat. Thank god hogan stopped him, Aj wasn't stoping that pysco,Jeff was high i believe. so thats all i no about sting. Now you see why i think people who think he should vs undertaker are moronic.

· Registered
2,634 Posts
When you're a babyface most of the time you're going to get dominated during the match and most of the time they'll pull through in the end of the match. WWE does this ALL the time.
This. It's pretty basic story-telling to evoke sympathy for the babyface from the audience. I don't watch TNA so I don't know if Sting's babyface or not but I was going to say that your average match has the babyface getting beaten down for most of the match and then makes his comeback and wins.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.