Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a lot of rumors lately that WWE has been clearing house in preparations for a sale of the company. The WWE is in a great financial situation and you have 2 networks paying over a billion dollars each to broadcast their product. Therefore, from a business standpoint, this may be the best time to sell would be now while the company has the most value.

However, I am wondering what would become of the company and the industry if they do indeed sell. Does Vince sell but have it so he and his heirs always run the company? Does Disney or NBC (the 2 rumored buyers) or whomever wins the bid just take over and change the company and the industry as we know it??? IMO, it can go very well or very bad.

I don't see how it can go well. If you believe Eric Bischoff's stories on his podcast, WCW went down the toilet when Time Warner took over Turner and cut their legs out from under them. I can see one of these large companies doing that with WWE because they are not getting the WWE of 1987 or 1999.

Your thoughts...

·
Registered
171 Posts
What if Shad Khan buys it to compete with his son, Tony. 💩 💩 💩 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ;)
I'm sure that would not actually happen and be kayfabe even if it did tbh.

But in seriousness If this ever happened, would the new owners still keep WWE as is or would it open the door for a new #1 wrestling promotion? Would it depend on the buyer(s)?y traded.

Just speculation.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
It depends who the buyer was and if the McMahons still had any percentage in the company. Or whether Vince hands the company down.

Take Impact for example, Dixie still owns I think 10%.

Shane seems the obvious fit as the next boss, but left the company for a decade and said its because he was being overlooked by Steph and HHH and Vince didn't listen to his vision for the company. Steph is the 2nd biggest individual shareholder.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If it's completely sold it could be very dicey for Stephanie and HHH especially if the new owners want to either do away with wrestling or purge out any resemblance of the McMahons.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
To me if Vince ever sells - it will mean a complete revamp and it will mean the McMahon family is completely gone from power. I never envisioned a scenario where they sell and Vince or Steph/HHH remain in control. To me it would be a family decision to sell & move on completely.

As to what happens....I expect a complete revamp. Changes the industry forever. Hopefully for the better, but there are risks, so we'll see.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,933 Posts
However, no matter how good it could be, I feel many of the remaining loyal viewers would tune out without the McMahon brand name.
For the record, I don't see Vince ever retiring or the McMahon family selling WWE. However, in a theoretical scenario without the McMahon's, I would definitely question my loyalty. I'm basically running on nostalgia at this point and without the McMahon's, it just wouldn't feel like WWE to me. Even without the nostalgia and from a quality point of view, there is nothing I have seen consistently from any other owner or booker that makes me think anyone else could do a better job than Vince. Everyone else that is interested has tried and failed.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Vince selling WWE is the best thing that could happen to pro wrestling.

A fucking dream.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Good or bad, I believe Vince is too valuable to be let go in the event of a sale. He will probably be asked to be onboard to still run the day to day operations and tutor whomever the buyer decides will take his place in the future.

Wwe is a huge, huge, huge business, and nobody knows more about it than Vince, so you cant just replace him from day to day.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Depends what they sell and what they choose to spinoff, if anything.

They could offload:
WWE Inc stock
WWE Network
WWE Studios
WWE Music Group
WWE Home Video
WWE Library (includes all iconic trademarks)
WWE Shop
WWE Books
WWE Performance Centre
Licensing deals with Mattel, 2KSports etc
Social Media Channels

As part of the deal they could form a new ongoing production company that:

• Holds performer and production based contracts (Reigns, Orton, Dunn, Levesque etc)
  • All ongoing TV rights deals across the world
  • Saudi contract
  • Exclusive rights to new episodes of Raw, SmackDown, NXT etc
  • WWE Live
  • 10 year exclusive rights to produce specials and documentaries, including the big 4, for the WWE Network
  • Vince remains chairman of this company

With something like this they'd find it better to sell to Tencent.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts