Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Ok so, lets get this conversation back in the right direction. What was it that made you a fan of TNA and what was it that made you leave?

For me I'd have to say what made me a fan was the X Division. Plus I was already a fan of Jerry Lynn. Another was when they had the World X Cup. You didn't see to many cross promotion matches in the U.S. at that time.

What made me leave which really was the final straw was when AJ Styles left.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
WWE TODAY. Now what excuses do you have? Oh and I have more if you want.

5:00min

There are no excuses but there you go

• WWE reportedly changed their house show schedule going forward because of 👉declining revenue and attendance👈
  • The news report comes days after WWE suffered a stock drop of 28% after the release of Co-Presidents George Barrios and Michelle Watson
  • The report also comes days before WWE's next financial earnings call on a year saw massive profits juxtaposed by declining popularityhttps://www.ibtimes.com/wwe-decline-reduced-house-show-schedule-may-be-due-declining-attendance-revenue-2914975
World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) has reported a fall in ticket sales as one of the main reasons behind not reaching revenue expectations.https://www.theticketingbusiness.com/2020/02/10/wwe-admits-fall-ticket-sales-2019/

So you're wrong again.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ok so, lets get this conversation back in the right direction. What was it that made you a fan of TNA and what was it that made you leave?

For me I'd have to say what made me a fan was the X Division. Plus I was already a fan of Jerry Lynn. Another was when they had the World X Cup. You didn't see to many cross promotion matches in the U.S. at that time.

What made me leave which really was the final straw was when AJ Styles left.

Anyone else?
Was never a fan of TNA or Impact and I only saw little snibbets of it here and there. But TNA was great back then it had great talent and great shows it just wasn't my cup of tea.

·
Mr Big Shot
133 Posts
I loved TNA when it first came on. On the wrestling channel in the UK. X division is what drew me especially AJ styles. It reminded me of WCW. I watched most weeks until around 2011. I was done when I saw Orlando Jordan and Sean Morley beat Christopher Daniels on PPV. It has turned a corner it is now like ECW you know the top stars will leave and go to AEW or WWE. I watch every week now. In another universe the company should of been built around AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Daniels, Kaz. And also hiring Kevin Nash and Scott hall who were well past their primes then. I am rooting for impact to take the slot of 3rd best promotion. I would certainly put them ahead of Ring of Honor that is for sure.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Impact has had to adapt in order to survive or there would be no Impact today.
Life and business is all about luck and timing. 10 years ago they wouldn't have survived the covid-19 pandemic, but present day they're the only mainstream wrestling company virtually guaranteed to see this through with no repercussions.
The current landscape looks something like this:
Impact is the 3rd largest wrestling promotion in North America, but they are so far behind their closest competitor.
AEW is the 2nd largest wrestling promotion in North America, but they are so far behind their closest competitor and are still relatively new.
WWE is the largest wrestling promotion in North America, but 2020 will be a catastrophic financial year for them... perhaps even terminal.

Who's to say where Impact will be in 2030. Take a guess i dare ya.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
When it first came out it genuinely felt like an alternative. i Watch the product now but to many lame people on the roster and the direction is insanely cheesy.Hell they have the most indy looking belts ever. They used to build up each ppv and have a hell of a lot of passion. Now it looks like impact is taking a bunch of nerds and attempting to be edgy but failing miserably. Also its branding is so fucked up all over the place. They have several different impact logos right now,Its messy

They are doing some great things though and do have some great guys. RVD new character is great on a side note

Whats killing it for me is the insanely bad acting with the cheesy back stage segments. Its so bad and i dont know if thats their point but if it came off legit it could be really good.

Its clearly heading down a great direction that will take time but to many cheesy elements to its brand

Reactions: jpickens

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
From a quality perspective, they jumped the shark when they brought in Hogan, tried to go to Monday nights and reverted to the traditional ring. They got a short term profile boost from it but TNA really lost its distinctiveness and the feeling of being a WWE alternative at that point. Then after that they dropped the TNA name like 10 years in - dumb name or not, rebranding when you're having success is generally a bad idea, even now I still think of it as TNA. Then the commercial decline came when they got dropped off Spike and lost most of their name talent, bounced around channels repeatedly, changed names again then changed back like a month later etc etc.

Its just a dead product nowadays, has been for years. Dont even get me started on Tessa Blanchard winning the world title. Good PR or not, if there was ever a representation of a promotion hitting the absolute bottom of the barrel, that was it.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Its safe to fucking say that wrestling fans across the board are tired as fuck of seeing so many wrestlers play there fucking selves. I dont watch wrestling to watch people act like us losers at home andbe nerds.We want compelling characters that dont fucking act like your average joe.But todays industry seems to consist of entirely normal people. They wonder why the business is declining. Impact has a couple of compelling wrestlers but half of the roster itself is full of nerds that they they are cool and try to be like the young hip people. The few people that are really good are playing fucking characters. We dont watch movies to watch people act normal.We want character and variety of emotion.

Im not sure why this topic is not brought up enough but its the core reason why its suffering. Everyone just wants to be pretty and perfect.

In a good way this will get bad enough that we will see another mega shift. AEW starts this new promotion and they just do the same thing as wwe. They have a few really good wrestlers but guess what they get it. THEY GET IT they act like characters they dont act like your average joe and they dont try to be perfect cute pretty wrestlers.

And so because everyone is average the direction is average.

Drake in NWA said something that could not be more true. We're grown men here. Its fucking true we want to see Men not fucking dorks

im thinking we will see a shift in a few years based off whats happening lately

·
Registered
906 Posts
I was so shocked to see it today. It really does look like a glorified indy. It would be great if Impact bounced back, but I don't see that happening. There's so much baggage in Impact that leaves a bad taste in fans mouths.

Here's a list that I feel are reasons TNA failed. Not all are major reasons but they did take it's toll on the company. Tell me which ones you agree with or disagree with.

1) Jeff Jarrett leaving- This wasn't bad... he pushed himself to the top of the company and was responsible for the GFW fiasco in 2007.
2) Dixie Carter becoming an on air personality/ Heel- Agree.
3) Hiring Hogan and Bischoff- Agree.
4) Not giving the title to Bobby Roode at Bound For Glory- At the time it happened, yes, but it has been proven that he's a better heel, so it wasn't a mistake at all. Roode's heel reign was great and would have been better than a face reign. Not letting Storm go over at Lockdown was a mistake, but then again, Aries was catching fire at the same time.
5) Aces of 8's and the horrible reveals- Agree.
6) RVD beating AJ Styles for the title in their first match ever.- This was really irrelevant as AJ wasn't buried at all from this. In fact, Pope lost more momentum from losing to AJ the night before, because he wasn't an established main eventer already. AJ was.
7) Downgrading the titles.- The X Division, yes, but the knockouts always got a lot of attention and the tag titles were consistently in the same spot. If you mean the titles like the Legends/Global/TV/KOTM/Grand titles, yes. No title should change its name that often in such a short amount of time and a few of the names were quite bad.
8) Breaking Up Beer Money- This was bound to happen whether Roode or Storm won the title.
9) Brooke Hogan- Agree.
10) Hogan's Friends- Agree.
11) Letting contracts expire and forgetting to renew- Agree.
12) Losing Spike TV- Agree.
13) Eliminating ppv's- PPV is basically irrelevant these days anyway with the decline of cable and the rise of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.
14) Botched Monday Night programing- Agree.
15) Claire Lynch- Bad but irrelevant.
16) Letting Home grown talent go.- Agree.
17) Doing nothing with Bad Influence They did a lot with them, but didn't resign them, which goes into the above point.
18) Doing nothing with the knockouts after they became an important part of impact.- Certain knockouts, yes (Hamada, Sarita, and Taylor Wilde got depushed heavily as soon as Hogan and Bischoff showed up), but this corrected itself when Mickie debuted and Gail came back.
19) Eliminating King of the Mountain- Irrelevant.
20) Not firing Vince Russo fast enough- Agree.
21) Replacing world title with ugly Jeff Hardy belt.- Irrelevant, but Victory Road 2011 was a BIG deal.
22) Impact becoming the Hulk Hogan Show- Agree.
23) TNA drops name to Impact- This was good.
24) TNA Impact changes colors to look exactly like Smackdown!- Irrelevant.
25) Got rid of the 6 sided ring.- Irrelevant.
26) Lethal Lockdown with "Electricity"- Bad but irrelevant.
27) Making a big deal out of MVP- MVP was almost a main eventer in WWE at one point before the losing streak and face turn and is great on the mic and solid in the ring, so he should have been a big deal. If he was a jobber, wins over him would mean nothing, so he wouldn't technically be putting people over, as a win over him would mean nothing if he seldom or never won.
28) Botched revival of the Main Event Mafia- Bad but irrelevant.
29) Broke up LAX way too soon.- It was the right time, as LAX was around for three years and feuded with everybody as heels and faces. They just lost a LOT of steam after Konnan left, as he was their mic guy.
30) Make EV2- Agree.
31) Jeff Hardy incident on ppv with Sting and cheating fans out of a match.- Agree.
32) Flip Flopping networks.- Agree.
33) Everybody and their mother suing TNA- Agree.
34) Not paying talent, crew, and debt- Agree.
35) Dixie's parents finally cutting her off.- Agree.

Tell me what you think
Around and half and half. Quite a few of the things you listed, such as Claire Lynch (which is around the level of the Stacy Keibler pregnancy angle in WCW... really bad, but pales in comparison to David Arquette and Russo winning the title, the Fingerpoke of Doom, Goldberg's streak ending early, Sting not winning clean at Starrcade, the numerous NWO returns, etc. in the grand scheme of things) and the set changes, are really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The Aces and Eights reveals, the Monday night fiasco, going on the road too early, Hogan's friends, Brooke Hogan, Dixie as a heel boss, not resigning the originals like AJ, Bad Influence, Roode, Joe, Sabin, etc., losing their Spike deal the way they did, etc. really hurt in the long run, so 2010-2014 was the main decline, even though 2012 was a really good year that still holds up today (Bully Ray, Austin Aries, and Roode in the main event scene, the formation of Bad Influence minus the Claire Lynch stuff, Gail's long KO title reign which restored prestige after numerous mediocre and short reigns from Velvet, Mickie, and Winter, etc.).

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Hogan/Bishcoff was when it started for me. It focused too much on older guys and ex-WWE guys. TNA became literally became retirement/wwe rejects home. They had no faith in their original talent whatsoever. Guys like AJ, Joe, Daniels, Motorcity machine guns, Jay lethal, Eric Young etc. All took a backseat to every guy WWE would fire.

The only good thing since that was Roode/Storm angle and Roode's heel reign. Even Roode didnt get to be in the mainevent again after such a dominant reign. Bully Ray was a good character but basing an entire biker gang and focusing solely on one angle was idiotic.

Then if that wasnt enough, having to see and listen Dixie be in idiotic love triangle/power struggle storylines was just shit. If it wasnt bad enough, they actually let their Main guy AJ Styles leave over money.. I mean how stupid are you to let your top guy leave... in hindsight it turned out great for Styles as it should have.. but it just goes on to show, that for a shitty B-wrestling show, TNA actually not only wasted talent but were starting to devalue their own guys who had been there for them since day 1.

I stopped watching after AJ left and never returned. I do check the forum every few months or so to see if they are doing well. Even my YT feed stopped suggesting me anything TNA related.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
TNA had something to build on. Beer Money should have never broken up. They should have built up the women's division more because the rating showed people were tuning in for the knockouts. And then the X divisionshould have stayed relevant as a championship just as important as the World title. But alas, TNA screwed it up. Another nail in the coffin was getting rid of the six sided ring. I wasn't the biggest fan of the six sided ring but it definitely gave TNA an identity.

So much potential. It's a shame, a sad shame what it became.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
To the guy talking about how it looks.Its insanely odd that Impact went with a glorified indy look for everything.There is no reason why they could not have done everything on small scale but looked professional unique and different. Lack of originality. The set last year looked more unique and professional yet it was simple. Now its back to generic screens

Belts look like your top indy star belts instead of going for professional. They use like 4 different versions of the impact logo on tv which is stupid for branding.

Other than the fact MLW has the worst logo they come off professional and have really classy belts. With a tacky logo slapped onto it lol

·
Registered
879 Posts
Don't watch Impact but from the pictures that I've seen theres way more than 50 people in the stands.

Joey Ryan was going to sign with AEW last year. And Joey Ryan's gay penis flip isn't any different than AEW signing Nyla Rose (transgender). I don't watch Impact but here you go

Bound for Glory (2019)
DateOctober 20, 2019
CityVilla Park, Illinois
VenueOdeum Expo Center
Attendance5,000

So they drew 5,000 people last year to their Wrestlemania event.
Did you edit wiki yourself? Crowd not that big

·
Registered
879 Posts
I stopped watching TNA when every week they'd have a random gimmick match on. Oh this week it's a random hardcore match, next week it's a random cage match, oh here's a random TLC match, next week it's a spike on a pole match. Got ridiculous.

I stopped watching around the time they did the Manhattan Centre shows in 2014. The main focus of the show was an ECW invasion lead by Al Snow, Dudley Boys and Tommy Dreamer who were fighting Dixie Carter, Rhino, EC3, Rockstar Spud, Gene Snitsky and Ezekiel Jackson. At this point they still had Bobby Roode, Lashley, Samoa Joe and I think even Jeff Hardy as well but for whatever reason that lame ECW angle was up top and I'm the target of an ECW angle. I love ECW and I love Al, Dudleys and Dreamer but in 2014 it was way too late. I just found myself hating watching it every week so I didn't anymore.

Also, the year that Daniel Bryan won the WWE Title at Mania the very next episode of Impact they ripped it off completely. That one has stuck with me as one of the worst things TNA has ever done and was such an insult to everyone.

I heard in 2016 that Impact had really picked up with Broken Matt Hardy and his feud with Jeff was must see TV. I had a look at The Compound video that everyone was going crazy over and thought it was one of the worst things I'd ever seen and never came back unfortunately. I was a TNA fan from 2005 - 2014 pretty much full time but whoever was booking in 2014 (I think it was Jon Gaburick) really just killed my love and passion for the company and I don't think I'm the only one seeing where TNA is at now.

I occasionally watch clips because I'm still subscribed to their social media after all this time. I saw the Wrestlers Court angle with that idiot Joey Ryan and thought it was stupid, saw them heavily promoting Tessa Blanchard and her title win and cringed. They still use ECW guys pretty regularly also I've seen Dreamer on quite often, Sabu was on for a bit, RVD is now in a team with that idiot Joey Ryan, Rhino is hanging around, I even saw a clip of Raven and Sandman turning up within the past 12 months. Probably the only two on that list who should be on TV in 2020 is Rhino and Van Dam.

It is sad to see how bad it got for them. You've got people in this very thread talking excitedly about how Impact drew 1300 people for a big event with plenty of special guests whilst TNA used to draw 10,000 people back in the day at some Impact tapings.
Tna never drew 10,000 fans. Highest is listed as 7100 for a ppv but even that is disputed. No TV taping got 5,000 - most much lower than that - that includes when they were on road. I don't count UK numbers

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
The same thing that happened to WCW.

Hogan, Russo, Jarrett, a bunch of old timers and guys released by WWe.

There was a clear point in time when they stopped being a WWe alternative and transitioned into a bastion for WWe throwaways.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Well, if it means anything.... I haven’t watched weekly wrestling programming in YEARS... but watching TNA on Pluto on my roku thing is awesome.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts