Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened?

Oh TNA had so much potential to be the next number 2 promotion in the U.S. Like WCW's Cruiserweights, they had the X Division to bring wrestling fans something different. Personally I always saw it as another Cruiserweight championship. But perhaps it was better cause you didn't have a weight limit. Wrestlers like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels and Chris Sabin really gave the fans a quick paced style in many ways more crisp then the old WCW Cruiserweights. This was a promotion I definitely rooted for and wanted to succeed. And at one point I thought it was especially when they signed Kurt Angle. Having Kurt Angle added to the roster to me and made TNA even more legitimate. They needed that one big mega star who could physically compete and advance the younger guys. Everything seemed to be moving in the right direction. The only main downside of TNA's early years were some very questionable booking and storylines by none other then Vince Russo. Moments that were so bad that fans literally broke out in "Fire Russo" chants. Not a great moment for a fan like myself. I pressed on and supported TNA. Then you enter the Hulk Hogan. Oh Boy! After a failed reboot of the Monday Night War, and home grown stars being misused in ridiculous storylines TNA began to collapse. In my opinion they rushed too hard to be competition to the WWE that they missed alot of holes in their foundation. Not to mention the horrible Ace's of 8's storyline. If you thought the Black Scorpion from WCW was a bad payoff, imagine 8 Black Scorpions and each person unmasked gets more lamer then the last. Once AJ Styles left I tuned out. If you can let your ace leave the company you obviously don't care about what the fans want. So I stopped watching TNA. I just recently watched some clips of Impact to see what's going on these days. OMG!!!! What happened? TNA......... excuse me, now known as Impact! have virtually no fans in the stands. They are lucky to have 50 people. Then to see Rob Van Dam in a tag team called "Cancel Culture" looking very old and acting very un-RVD-ish was enough for me. RIP what could have been.

How could this have gotten this bad?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What happened?

Oh TNA had so much potential to be the next number 2 promotion in the U.S. Like WCW's Cruiserweights, they had the X Division to bring wrestling fans something different. Personally I always saw it as another Cruiserweight championship. But perhaps it was better cause you didn't have a weight limit. Wrestlers like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels and Chris Sabin really gave the fans a quick paced style in many ways more crisp then the old WCW Cruiserweights. This was a promotion I definitely rooted for and wanted to succeed. And at one point I thought it was especially when they signed Kurt Angle. Having Kurt Angle added to the roster to me and made TNA even more legitimate. They needed that one big mega star who could physically compete and advance the younger guys. Everything seemed to be moving in the right direction. The only main downside of TNA's early years were some very questionable booking and storylines by none other then Vince Russo. Moments that were so bad that fans literally broke out in "Fire Russo" chants. Not a great moment for a fan like myself. I pressed on and supported TNA. Then you enter the Hulk Hogan. Oh Boy! After a failed reboot of the Monday Night War, and home grown stars being misused in ridiculous storylines TNA began to collapse. In my opinion they rushed too hard to be competition to the WWE that they missed alot of holes in their foundation. Not to mention the horrible Ace's of 8's storyline. If you thought the Black Scorpion from WCW was a bad payoff, imagine 8 Black Scorpions and each person unmasked gets more lamer then the last. Once AJ Styles left I tuned out. If you can let your ace leave the company you obviously don't care about what the fans want. So I stopped watching TNA. I just recently watched some clips of Impact to see what's going on these days. OMG!!!! What happened? TNA......... excuse me, now known as Impact! have virtually no fans in the stands. They are lucky to have 50 people. Then to see Rob Van Dam in a tag team called "Cancel Culture" looking very old and acting very un-RVD-ish was enough for me. RIP what could have been.

Don't watch Impact but from the pictures that I've seen theres way more than 50 people in the stands.

Any company that willingly signs Joey Ryan deserves 50 fans in the stands.
Joey Ryan was going to sign with AEW last year. And Joey Ryan's gay penis flip isn't any different than AEW signing Nyla Rose (transgender). I don't watch Impact but here you go

Bound for Glory (2019)
DateOctober 20, 2019
CityVilla Park, Illinois
VenueOdeum Expo Center
Attendance5,000

So they drew 5,000 people last year to their Wrestlemania event.

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,460 Posts
From what I’m reading, Impact was heading in the right direction recently.

When it comes to TNA making it big in the past, it all comes down to nonsensical decisions they made, or talent not performing up to par

TNA would routinely have matches on PPV that had no build. Promos were done at the PPV as opposed to TV. Matches would have screwy finishes or screwy stipulations they turned people off. Heels would make comebacks in matches. Lockdown matchups would have the heels at The disadvantage. Just a continuum of stupid shit that eventually turned fans off.

combine that with them slowly losing talent 2012 on, losing money and losing good tv slots and networks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was so shocked to see it today. It really does look like a glorified indy. It would be great if Impact bounced back, but I don't see that happening. There's so much baggage in Impact that leaves a bad taste in fans mouths.

Here's a list that I feel are reasons TNA failed. Not all are major reasons but they did take it's toll on the company. Tell me which ones you agree with or disagree with.

1) Jeff Jarrett leaving
2) Dixie Carter becoming an on air personality/ Heel
3) Hiring Hogan and Bischoff
4) Not giving the title to Bobby Roode at Bound For Glory
5) Aces of 8's and the horrible reveals
6) RVD beating AJ Styles for the title in their first match ever.
7) Downgrading the titles.
8) Breaking Up Beer Money
9) Brooke Hogan
10) Hogan's Friends
11) Letting contracts expire and forgetting to renew
12) Losing Spike TV
13) Eliminating ppv's
14) Botched Monday Night programing
15) Claire Lynch
16) Letting Home grown talent go.
17) Doing nothing with Bad Influence
18) Doing nothing with the knockouts after they became an important part of impact.
19) Eliminating King of the Mountain
20) Not firing Vince Russo fast enough
21) Replacing world title with ugly Jeff Hardy belt.
22) Impact becoming the Hulk Hogan Show
23) TNA drops name to Impact
24) TNA Impact changes colors to look exactly like Smackdown!
25) Got rid of the 6 sided ring.
26) Lethal Lockdown with "Electricity"
27) Making a big deal out of MVP
28) Botched revival of the Main Event Mafia
29) Broke up LAX way too soon.
30) Make EV2
31) Jeff Hardy incident on ppv with Sting and cheating fans out of a match.
32) Flip Flopping networks.
33) Everybody and their mother suing TNA
34) Not paying talent, crew, and debt
35) Dixie's parents finally cutting her off.

Tell me what you think

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was so shocked to see it today. It really does look like a glorified indy. It would be great if Impact bounced back, but I don't see that happening. There's so much baggage in Impact that leaves a bad taste in fans mouths.

Here's a list that I feel are reasons TNA failed. Not all are major reasons but they did take it's toll on the company. Tell me which ones you agree with or disagree with.

1) Jeff Jarrett leaving
9) Brooke Hogan
10) Hogan's Friends
12) Losing Spike TV
13) Eliminating ppv's
15) Claire Lynch
18) Doing nothing with the knockouts after they became an important part of impact.
30) Make EV2

Tell me what you think
Its already bounced back

It took place on October 20, 2019, in Villa Park, Illinois. It was the 15th event under the Bound for Glory chronology.
Bound for Glory (2019)
DateOctober 20, 2019
CityVilla Park, Illinois
VenueOdeum Expo Center
Attendance5,000

So literally make 0 sense in what you just wrote since they got 5,000 people at BFG last year and is a profitable company again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Its already bounced back

It took place on October 20, 2019, in Villa Park, Illinois. It was the 15th event under the Bound for Glory chronology.
Bound for Glory (2019)
DateOctober 20, 2019
CityVilla Park, Illinois
VenueOdeum Expo Center
Attendance5,000

So literally make 0 sense in what you just wrote since they got 5,000 people at BFG last year and is a profitable company again.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're not profitable. TNA/ Impact were never known for making a profit even in their best days, so I'm gonna say based on what I saw that they are not making any money. When you have an episode of Impact and your seats only go three or four rows back you're obviously not making any money on ticket sales. Then you have the cost of the wrestlers, crew, production and god knows what else. I have to say no their not.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Joey Ryan was going to sign with AEW last year. And Joey Ryan's gay penis flip isn't any different than AEW signing Nyla Rose (transgender). I don't watch Impact but here you go

Bound for Glory (2019)
DateOctober 20, 2019
CityVilla Park, Illinois
VenueOdeum Expo Center
Attendance5,000

So they drew 5,000 people last year to their Wrestlemania event.
I'm honestly really curious as to how you came to this conclusion?

·
Intoner
6,589 Posts
What happened ?

Some idiots pushed the company to go on the road live every week. It cost huge amount of money and lead to TNA loosing almost everything.

Than SpikeTV dropped them when viewership started to decline. While there is some blame for viewership on TNA, it was just that period when TV started to generally losing viewership. WWE has been shit for years but only started declining in figures when streaming services and excessive amount of programming appeared.

That is really it. AEW is on "top" because billionaire put it on his channel and invested money in signing Omega, Jericho and Moxley.

I really do think that if TNA stayed on Spike they would have had around 600-800k today.

What you think of current product is your business of course. I think their show is great. If they had more money to invest in the product I would call them superior to AEW. But production value and starpower still matter.

·
Registered
509 Posts

1) Jeff Jarrett leaving
9) Brooke Hogan
10) Hogan's Friends
12) Losing Spike TV
13) Eliminating ppv's
15) Claire Lynch
30) Make EV2

Tell me what you think
I will always think Hogan & Bischoff killed it. They show up and suddenly: try & fail on Mondays, got rid of the 6 sided ring, & put their geriatic friends & talentless children on National tv.

Then theres what they did to AJ. Sting had just passed him the torch at Bound for Glory and the 1st Hogan episode AJ goes heel to join Ric Flair...wtf for? Then he randomly lost the title to RVD on an episode of Impact (when he was the longest reiging champ in TNA history at that point.) And lost the rematch 2 weeks later. Once they tried to get AJ to take a 60% paycut & put the title on Magnus I was done for good.

The fact that they hotshotted the title onto a lot of WWE washouts like Mr. Anderson didnt help either.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Their houses aren't bad, it's just that their production is very indy. In particular the lighting, camera quality for backstage segments, micing the crowd and editing of the show. The editing is just terrible. I can't believe the people at IMPACT actually think it is worthy of being aired on television like that. Guys like D'Amore, Callis and Jimmy Jacobs need to watch back the final episode before it makes air and ask to themselves, "if I wasn't working for IMPACT right now, would I go out of my way to watch this show?" It's like a bunch of segments haphazardly tacked together for a local syndicated network.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I stopped watching TNA when every week they'd have a random gimmick match on. Oh this week it's a random hardcore match, next week it's a random cage match, oh here's a random TLC match, next week it's a spike on a pole match. Got ridiculous.

I stopped watching around the time they did the Manhattan Centre shows in 2014. The main focus of the show was an ECW invasion lead by Al Snow, Dudley Boys and Tommy Dreamer who were fighting Dixie Carter, Rhino, EC3, Rockstar Spud, Gene Snitsky and Ezekiel Jackson. At this point they still had Bobby Roode, Lashley, Samoa Joe and I think even Jeff Hardy as well but for whatever reason that lame ECW angle was up top and I'm the target of an ECW angle. I love ECW and I love Al, Dudleys and Dreamer but in 2014 it was way too late. I just found myself hating watching it every week so I didn't anymore.

Also, the year that Daniel Bryan won the WWE Title at Mania the very next episode of Impact they ripped it off completely. That one has stuck with me as one of the worst things TNA has ever done and was such an insult to everyone.

I heard in 2016 that Impact had really picked up with Broken Matt Hardy and his feud with Jeff was must see TV. I had a look at The Compound video that everyone was going crazy over and thought it was one of the worst things I'd ever seen and never came back unfortunately. I was a TNA fan from 2005 - 2014 pretty much full time but whoever was booking in 2014 (I think it was Jon Gaburick) really just killed my love and passion for the company and I don't think I'm the only one seeing where TNA is at now.

I occasionally watch clips because I'm still subscribed to their social media after all this time. I saw the Wrestlers Court angle with that idiot Joey Ryan and thought it was stupid, saw them heavily promoting Tessa Blanchard and her title win and cringed. They still use ECW guys pretty regularly also I've seen Dreamer on quite often, Sabu was on for a bit, RVD is now in a team with that idiot Joey Ryan, Rhino is hanging around, I even saw a clip of Raven and Sandman turning up within the past 12 months. Probably the only two on that list who should be on TV in 2020 is Rhino and Van Dam.

It is sad to see how bad it got for them. You've got people in this very thread talking excitedly about how Impact drew 1300 people for a big event with plenty of special guests whilst TNA used to draw 10,000 people back in the day at some Impact tapings.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
It is sad to see how bad it got for them. You've got people in this very thread talking excitedly about how Impact drew 1300 people for a big event with plenty of special guests whilst TNA used to draw 10,000 people back in the day at some Impact tapings.
TNA never drew 10k anywhere in the world. Not even the UK which had their biggest crowds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed. Taking it on the road was a HUGE mistake. TNA was pushing too hard to be competition and needed to grow slowly and naturally.

I was never the biggest fan of the six sided ring but it was TNA's identity. They should have never gotten rid of it.

And I couldn't believe how they misused the X Division title. It was always a championship regarded just as important as the World Title. Then they made it a weight limit title that was so sub par that you can actually "cash it in" to get a World title shot. What a great way to downgrade a popular championship.

TNA brought Tag Teams back to life when you had those classic Beer Money and Motor City Machine Gun matches.

Then you had a true women's revolution. The knockouts brought women's wrestling to a level never seen before. For the first time women's wrestling was taken seriously. So seriously that the women's matches were the highest rated segments on the show. They were so popular they started a tag team division too.

There was a point where all the championships meant something. But alas poor TNA, you screwed it up.

Losing Spike TV was the biggest down fall for TNA. I mean Spike actually gave them money and treated them good. God job Dixie.

How the hell do you make John Gaburick a booker when he had no wrestling booker experience once so ever and his only claim to fame was Tough Enough. And the only reason he got that was cause he was Kevin Dunn's friend.

TNA's attendances were always tough to figure out cause you never knew how many fans got in for free. They could have had 3,000 fans and then you learn only 800 actually paid. So whenever someone tells me about attendances I'm always a little hesitant to believe it. Remember all the times Dixie Carter and TNA talent were talking about how great the company was doing and would defend it tooth and nail only to find out it was all smoke and mirrors?

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
What happened?

TNA was never ran lik a proper business from day 1. Dixie carter does not understand business.It was always doomed because of this. They for sure had a lot of great moments though and i still watched it for years. But the amount of fuck ups this company had from a business side explains it. Plus she was a stubborn mark and that ontop of not running it right she also made stupid choices. Of course lots of grea choices too

And people talking about taking it on the road was a mistake. The way they tried to build this company up was always wrong. The only way to be successful is to go on the road. But you dont fucking go from functioning in a free little studio to skipping steps and jumping upto massive venues with massive stage set production with hotels and everything over night. But thats what TNA always did,They skipped steps all the time trying to be bigger than you're.

Look at Impact now,It started touring almost right away under new owners but guess what they toured with the size the company is and not trying to pretend what its not. They have been making money and not losing a lot of money. Running a business is all about managing the money and Dixie was never good at that. Throwing lots here and not somehwere else.

Anyways still a great little company at the time with lots of great talent and between the bullshit some great maches and some great concepts. Hopefully Impact can turn things up and grow a little more when this global issue stops.

Reactions: jpickens
1 - 20 of 82 Posts