Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· SGT. AT ARMS
26,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSRD4TkD7Ac&feature=related That was the best match on the card that night, while I was watching it I couldn't take my eyes off the screen it was just such a great match, and Orton was at his very best, and the ending with Orton reversing right into the rko was awesome. Now I can barely stand to watch an Orton match because they're so damn boring, and slow.

This whole Viper gimmick has killed his wrestling, did he really have to turn his matches into all headlocks, powerslams and ddt's? he used to do some cool moves like that powerbomb neckbreaker and his flying crossbody from the top rope, now its like he was knocked in the head and forgot how to be exciting.

· Broski of the Week
6,881 Posts
Although his matches were more exciting back then, his personality was more dull then ever. He was too much of a "cookie cutter babyface." Randy has the type of attitude and persona that is more suited for a darker, more badass character. And although his matches might seem boring now, his Viper gimmick is much more him, and as Austin said, the best gimmicks in wrestling are when people are themselves, just with the volume turned way up.

· SGT. AT ARMS
26,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Icon™;9384119 said:
Although his matches were more exciting back then, his personality was more dull then ever. He was too much of a "cookie cutter babyface." Randy has the type of attitude and persona that is more suited for a darker, more badass character. And although his matches might seem boring now, his Viper gimmick is much more him, and as Austin said, the best gimmicks in wrestling are when people are themselves, just with the volume turned way up.
Its not just when he was a face he was exciting to watch, his matches when he was the cocky pretty boy in evolution was awesome as hell, example his match with Cactus Jack at Backlash, it was the best hardcore match in years and Orton did some crazy spots. I do agree about the best gimmicks in wrestling are when they are themselves, but just because he's more darker and badass doesn't mean he should put you to sleep while watching him. Why not be a dark badass heel and still actually put on entertaining wrestling matches?

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Because Randy Orton was being carried.

Randy Orton is basically not even a wrestler. He knows how to do some moves, but you see what happens to him everytime something unexpected happens, he goes into a strop and gets someone fired or depushed.

The guy is a joke.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
is waiting for the orton haters to come say, orton suxs benoit carried him through that match orton didn't do shit cause he cant wrestle and only got into the wwe cause his dad was a big star and had alot of pull.

· Broski of the Week
6,881 Posts
Its not just when he was a face he was exciting to watch, his matches when he was the cocky pretty boy in evolution was awesome as hell, example his match with Cactus Jack at Backlash, it was the best hardcore match in years and Orton did some crazy spots. I do agree about the best gimmicks in wrestling are when they are themselves, but just because he's more darker and badass doesn't mean he should put you to sleep while watching him. Why not be a dark badass heel and still actually put on entertaining wrestling matches?
Agreed. But unfortunately WWE doesn't. When your a badass, you aren't supposed to be flashy and do crossbodys or missile dropkicks. Did we ever see Austin go to the top rope? Nope. As a badass face you have one job; to come to the ring and kick the shit out of the heel. That's what Orton does; comes out punches, kicks, rkos, ddt, and punts...and he's back in the locker room nine minutes later. We (the internet) might not pay to see that, but the casuals pay to see Orton do that to the heels. And it works for him; he's over.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
Because Randy Orton was being carried.

Randy Orton is basically not even a wrestler. He knows how to do some moves, but you see what happens to him everytime something unexpected happens, he goes into a strop and gets someone fired or depushed.

The guy is a joke.
oh so that means everbody can have a good match if they get carried. Can you do it?

· Registered
694 Posts
Icon™;9384177 said:
Agreed. But unfortunately WWE doesn't. When your a badass, you aren't supposed to be flashy and do crossbodys or missile dropkicks. Did we ever see Austin go to the top rope? Nope. As a badass face you have one job; to come to the ring and kick the shit out of the heel. That's what Orton does; comes out punches, kicks, rkos, ddt, and punts...and he's back in the locker room nine minutes later. We (the internet) might not pay to see that, but the casuals pay to see Orton do that to the heels. And it works for him; he's over.
Exactly. Austin never did any flashy moves. His offense was basically thesz press, punch punch, mudhole stomp, pointed elbow drop and then the stunner. And one more thing Orton is the most over wrestler in the WWE right now so why change him?

· Registered
5,432 Posts
oh so that means everbody can have a good match if they get carried. Can you do it?
Cena haters have a similar issue where they say the only reason cena had a great match with hbk or edge is because he was carried.

I just say to them it takes 2 people to have a great match. If great khali was against hbk or edge would they be able to pull off a great match because it seems as though people think hbk or edge can pull a great match out of anyone

The problem with orton is he doesn't even have great matches with hbk or edge etc. Remember I gave an example of his match with triple h, if you are facing HBK or triple h and you are a top star you should at least have a 4 star match. All his matches are pretty poor so there is no excuse for him.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
Cena haters have a similar issue where they say the only reason cena had a great match with hbk or edge is because he was carried.

I just say to them it takes 2 people to have a great match. If great khali was against hbk or edge would they be able to pull off a great match because it seems as though people think hbk or edge can pull a great match out of anyone

The problem with orton is he doesn't even have great matches with hbk or edge etc. Remember I gave an example of his match with triple h, if you are facing HBK or triple h and you are a top star you should at least have a 4 star match. All his matches are pretty poor so there is no excuse for him.
wow another orton thread turning to the 384329743978th reason why I hate orton.
Orton hasn't had good matches with hbk or edge, thats funny. I don't have time to youtube it but edge vs orton for the IC title and they had a great match on Raw a few years ago, him and shawn had good matches for the wwe title so I don't know what your talking about..

Do people judge cena on his bad match with JBL, Undertaker for his bad matches with big boss man or mark henry. everbody has had bad matches before why shit all over orton for

· copy of a copy of a
4,015 Posts

PART 2

This is the Randy Orton I miss. He paced down Mysterio and put on an awesome bout with a great story (one of my favorite Orton matches). Last time he implemented such psychology into a match was probably the Iron Man he had with Cena, which was excellent. By no means is he bad now, but his current character limits him. Face Viper just isn't a working combo.

· Masonic!
1,577 Posts
It is the same thing that happend to Edge.

WWE turned them from "loose cannons" into just plain ol' fashion psychos.

Totally killed their buzz. They flip the lid at the drop of a hat and go mental when preparing their finisher.

· Registered
2,408 Posts
Orton had a handful of matches since his match with Benoit.

Singles only
Orton vs Taker WM 21
Orton vs Rey Smackdown
Orton vs Edge Raw - Debatable
Orton vs Cena SS 07
Orton vs HHH LMS
Orton vs Cena I Quit
Orton vs Cena Iron Man

· Banned
5,112 Posts
Er, he was facing Benoit. Anyway, his in-ring style was different then and little more flashy but wasn't as well rounded and individual as his current style. His style then fitted his gimmick, his style now fits his gimmick. Also, since then he's had even more shoulder injuries and problems and as a result has had to water-down his style.

· Banned
2,581 Posts
Between injuries and ditching steroids you can assume he lost some of his earlier athletic ability.

That being said his current gimmick as "the viper" is great and I think he pulls it off very well. Means he doesn't have to use the mic too often either (although I thought his mic skills were underrated).

His match against The Undertaker where he hit him with a tombstone was epic. That should have been the end of the match but they buried him.

· Banned
5,112 Posts
Between injuries and ditching steroids you can assume he lost some of his earlier athletic ability.

He's still very athletic (as he showed at the MITB PPV) but he chooses not to use it too much as it increases the chances of injury. It makes sense, I mean, a lot of guys' careers have been cut short through injury and Orton's playing the game with his brain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.