Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To me the greatest part of the WWE-WWF and wrestling as a whole was the managers, the good ones anyway.
They added so much, my personal favorites were
Freddie Blassie

followed by
Captain Lou Albano.

Who were your favorites.
How much do you think they brought to the dance.
----------------------------

·
Registered
567 Posts
Bobby Heenan. Best of all time. No one has ever come close to him.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Bobby Heenan. Best of all time. No one has ever come close to him.
Damn you beat me to it.

Managers suck now. The game changed though when the New Generation hit, only the good managers were around through the attitude era. Now anybody with a manager is a shitty heel.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think you need to have exceptional mic skills to work as a great manager, Bobby is a great example of that as was Jimmy Hart, Jim Cornette and even Sunny to a certain extent... I thought she did a good job.

Reactions: MOUNTAIN

·
Banned
125 Posts
i disagree, if you look at the indie circuit, their are plenty of Managers who maintain rivalries between wrestlers simply because the guys their managing although talented simply aren't good enough on the mic to carry themselves.

Its just the WWE doesn't see the need for them anymore. Its viewed less like a sport (which usually has managers being the mouth piece of the outfit) and more like entertainment soap-opera with individual characters portraying, relaying and venting their feelings themselves.

Back in the attitude Era, that competitive edge was still present from the 70's,80's and early 90's which welcomed arrogant, opinionated and articulate managers to be shown as the minds behind the operation. (which personally i miss)

I'm afraid times have changed.

And with a lot of promos reaching the 20 minute mark, it kinda helps you to understand why they've decided to go with less guys talking about "my guy can whip your guy" in the middle of a lot of the sh*t they insert between matches these days.

·
Banned
80 Posts
i disagree, if you look at the indie circuit, their are plenty of Managers who maintain rivalries between wrestlers simply because the guys their managing although talented simply aren't good enough on the mic to carry themselves.

Its just the WWE doesn't see the need for them anymore. Its viewed less like a sport (which usually has managers being the mouth piece of the outfit) and more like entertainment soap-opera with individual characters portraying, relaying and venting their feelings themselves.

Back in the attitude Era, that competitive edge was still present from the 70's,80's and early 90's which welcomed arrogant, opinionated and articulate managers to be shown as the minds behind the operation. (which personally i miss)

And with a lot of promos reaching the 20 minute mark, it kinda helps you to understand why they've decided to go with less guys talking about "my guy can whip your guy" in the middle of a lot of the sh*t they insert between matches these days.
You disagreed in red and then completely stated what people have said?

I think managers are a necessity though. Like Brock Lesnar needs a manager because no matter what he does he sounds like someone that would get his ass kicked. I mean it's just reality.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, and a few more were exceptional.
But as a whole the managers added so much to wrestling it can't even be measured.
The WWE and wrestling as a whole is much less entertaining without them...

·
Registered
647 Posts
What happened to the managers?

Tyson Kidd used them all...

N.b. did anything actually come from Kidd and his ever changing manager? Seem to remember Michael Hayes and Armando Alejandro Estrada being used at one point.

·
Banned
125 Posts

Damn you beat me to it.

Managers suck now. The game changed though when the New Generation hit, only the good managers were around through the attitude era. Now anybody with a manager is a shitty heel.
You disagreed in red and then completely stated what people have said?

I think managers are a necessity though. Like Brock Lesnar needs a manager because no matter what he does he sounds like someone that would get his ass kicked. I mean it's just reality.
I was disagreeing with Jaksonian224 statement that "Managers suck now.".

How can they suck when their none existent in the Industry Leader?

I do believe that there are good managers out there such as Larry Sweeney from ROH & James Mitchell (who i always though was heavily underrated in TNA) but if the WWE isn't showcasing credible management onscreen/ringside then how can people criticize what clearly isn't there?

·
Best In The World
4,752 Posts
i for one always thought jimmy hart was the greatest manager ever, there is no denying how good heenan was but i for one always prefered him on the announce booth

·
Registered
567 Posts
i for one always thought jimmy hart was the greatest manager ever, there is no denying how good heenan was but i for one always prefered him on the announce booth
He was fantastic with Gorilla wasn't he??? Everyone should check out RR '92. He was amazing.

·
HEADBANGA
23,230 Posts
We got managers or handlers in Sakamoto, Vikie, Rosa, and Abraham Washington. They're here today but they ain't made from the same cut as the true great managers of 20 years ago.

·
Premium Member
15,037 Posts
I do believe that there are good managers out there such as Larry Sweeney from ROH & James Mitchell (who i always though was heavily underrated in TNA) but if the WWE isn't showcasing credible management onscreen/ringside then how can people criticize what clearly isn't there?
You are aware that Larry Sweeney is dead, right?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Paul Extreme Heyman,the guy's a great heel manager,did you guys see his promos with Lesnar and Big Show?he's AWESOME.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Vickie Guerrero
Sakamoto
Rosa Mendes
And to an extent, Ricardo Rodriguez.

That's all we got right now. WWE definitely need to add more managers into the table. I never got the logic that a manager getting more over than his client was "bad." Who cares? The managers heat will rub off on anyone who associates themselves with him/her.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I for one wasn't crazy about Heenan as a manager but thought he was great in the booth. My other favorites in the booth are Lawler and Ventura... When it comes to Jimmy Hart he effected my nervous system in a bad way...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts