Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With them advertising Cena coming back at Hell in a Cell, and with RVD earlier in the year (and Jeff Hardy a few years back) I often wonder whether we'll have a 'surprise' return ever again? Even Brock coming back was 'leaked' on Twitter.

I happen to think it's much more effective as a 'moment' when that music unexpectedly kicks in and the crows pops like mad (a bit like Cena returning at the Royal Rumble that time, or when Foley reappeared in the mid-2000s).

Does anyone think that it's more down to ensuring that buy-rates will be higher if they know a favourite is returning? Or perhaps to preempt any leaks? Or just doing things a different way?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
^^^ /thread

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Nonsense.

Yes the internet plays a big part but more often than not WWE go out of their way to let us know someone is returning. They even posted a picture of Brock Lesnar on Twitter backstage before his return.

Its simply to get ratings/viewers. By advertising The Rock 2 weeks in advance they can promote it everywhere and more people will tune in to see it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Nonsense.

Yes the internet plays a big part but more often than not WWE go out of their way to let us know someone is returning. They even posted a picture of Brock Lesnar on Twitter backstage before his return.

Its simply to get ratings/viewers. By advertising The Rock 2 weeks in advance they can promote it everywhere and more people will tune in to see it.
This. Of course the internet plays a role to an extent, but I'd say that the majority of casual fans probably don't go scouring the internet for backstage news and rumors. The issue is that Vince is so desperate for the ratings bump nowadays that he can't help but advertise returns in advance.

·
my socks are wet
2,971 Posts
Brock Lesnar and Y2J have had two of the biggest "Surprise" returns lately. Only they weren't really a surprise because most people knew about Brock because of the Internet, but they didn't advertise him there, which still counts as a surprise.

·
I'm Sa-Sa-Sleepy, boff!
3,375 Posts
Nonsense.

Its simply to get ratings/viewers.
By advertising The Rock 2 weeks in advance they can promote it everywhere and more people will tune in to see it.
Exactly... Vince and company just care about ratings, they're worried if they have a surprise return some fans might miss it.. It's a shame it has to be that way but its not going to change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts