Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since his recent return to MNR, he's been nothing but absolute trash. And this is coming from a Jim Ross fan. He sounds bored, disinterested in the overall product, and lacks any enthusiasm he once had. It's a shame. Am I the only one who has noticed this?

What happened to the Jim Ross we all loved?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i agree with you 100% and i think the answer is that cole talks too much garbage. back in the day it used to be him and king...now with this idiot cole talking trash majority of the time...he barely gets to say anything

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
What happened to the Jim Ross we all loved?

hes probably saddened by the fact that even the announcers booth has become a joke. Cole is terrible, get rid of him, and reinstate the friendly Ross-Lawler rivalry/ The sooner WWE realizes this and does it, the better off they will be.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
No telling what Vince is saying to them personally in their headsets.
but JR is fine glad he's at least back on TV.

·
KILL BECKY KILL
3,192 Posts
I haven't really noticed any difference, except he stumbles more over words.

I do find it hilarious how he ignores Cole and just calls matches. What a boss.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
This seems to sum it up to me. Just watch when we are getting close to mania just watch how JR will react.
Yeah agreed. Everything seems more exciting around WrestleMania time, and I think by then we may have the "old" JR back. I also agree with the others who say he and Cole are a terrible match; it's almost as if there are two separate commentating teams. I say JR + King for Raw and Cole + Booker for SD.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Vince/Cole just "castrate" him, Cole needs to go, the most annoying announcer of all time.
Besides that, the product sucks.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,787 Posts
Beyond the point that Cole eats up so much oxygen and dominates everything, and Lawler is a approximately a waste of skin as an announcer these days, I too have noticed that JR just doesn't have his fastball anymore. He stumbles over words; he misnames wrestlers on a frequent basis, even by his old standards; his voice and demeanor are both generally insouciant and detached; he sounds like he's trying to be excited rather than being excited over much of anything; he's often reduced to being the piñata for Cole to beat up; his role on Raw is currently vague, since he seems to try to offer play-by-play but ends up being squashed by Cole's tirades and Lawler's feckless efforts to combat Cole, while Cole also tries to offer play-by-play, too.

This commentary team just doesn't function well. It's marginally better than Cole and Lawler because JR is still good enough to at least add something to that dire, never-has-worked-well team. Yet it's still a pain in the ear.

If they could simply ditch Lawler and let JR be the true play-by-play straight man who largely sides with the babyfaces while retaining his classic sense of objectivity with Cole heeling it up, I suspect it would be dramatically better than it is today. As it is, it's like the cliche, two's company, three's a crowd.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Not only does WWE not push, in a proper manner, any new talent but they have an issue with the announcement table nowadays . Bring Regal for fuck's sake !!!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Wwe announcing, in the sense of what wwe has made it, is terrible. I think all of the announcers can be good, but officials want the announcing to be done this way, with lawler and (mostly) Cole bickering over everything so you can't even focus on te match. They dint do anythingto put the wrestlers over. And of course Cole just burries everyone.

Basically, it's by JR thats the problem, it's the wwe announcing style.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,787 Posts
I agree that the announcing is a cornerstone issue with the product. You've got one over-the-top heel announcer putting down practically the entire midcard, especially the faces. Lawler is too busy bitching about Cole's bitching to even counter anything he says and JR is stuck in the middle, attempting to hold the ship together.

A dream team of JR and Foley or JR and Regal would be incredible, but for now, if they can't do anything else, just streamline it and subtract Lawler from the equation. That would beef up JR's role and probably make his passion flare up. Cole could badmouth, say, Air Boom, and JR could methodically, directly counter Cole's position. And Cole badmouthing Air Boom shouldn't be something akin to saying, "These guys are such dorks!" or whatever pablum; it should focus on them, say, bending the rules and not being as fair and righteous as they let on, or something like that--and JR should counter by emphasizing why what Air Boom do is legal and, furthermore, very exciting, etceteras. Make the audience actively, consciously choose where they stand on every single person on the roster, instead of compelling many to try to shut the announcers up mentally or with the mute button.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts