Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean looking back even just a few years ago there was an abundance of starpower wrestlers. The ones that were relevant and had charisma. With recent departures from Batista and HBK it got me thinking just how low they are on starpower. Rumors of Jericho leaving is astonishing as well. Both the main event scene and the undercard really needs some more starpower and I feel these guys and girls can give the WWE roster more depth:

Shawn Michaels
Rob Van Dam
Dave Batista
Brock Lesnar
Booker T
Kurt Angle
Trish Stratus
Bill Goldberg (at least for WM)
Shelton Benjamin (for undercard depth)
Charlie Haas (see Benjamin)
Jeff Hardy
Mickie James
John Bradshaw Layfield
The Rock (I know he won't but man I wish)
Bobby Lashley (could have been a major star)

I know I'm missing some names anyone else could add to this. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Well, I think that its like everything else out there nowadays. There is a need for renewal from time to time and lets face it while some of these guys could still go (HBK comes to mind) they get old and the sands of time are unforgiven.
I agree completely with you that right now there is no star power or at least very few star power, but lets give guys like Drew McIntyre time and eventually and with good booking they will succeed. At least thats my view on things atm

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
And all that starpower is gone, hence why WWE is making new stars out of guys like Drew McIntyre, Wade Barrett, The Miz, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler, Kaval, "Dashing" Cody Rhodes, etc.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Depth and star power are not the same thing. The WWE roster is EXTREMELY deep now, so much so that a return to a single brand seems almost absurd at this point. Also, remember that many of those guys and gals had years and years in pro wrestling, both in WWE and elsewhere, to develop that star power.

To answer your question...it's very likely that NONE of those people will return to WWE anytime soon. Look at the list:

Shawn Michaels: vows to stay retired, and probably will other than maybe the odd appearance to talk or be a ref.
Rob Van Dam: committed to TNA. If/when TNA dies, he'll probably be too old to be useful.
Dave Batista: vows never to return, and I believe him.
Brock Lesnar: MMA's going WAY too well.
Booker T: too old and broken down. Scott Steiner's got a better shot.
Kurt Angle: again, committed to TNA
Trish Stratus: has enough going on outside of wrestling.
Bill Goldberg: a possibility, but some fans didn't really take to him in 2003, and even fewer fans will care about him in 2010.
Shelton Benjamin: probably the best chance on the list, if only because of his raw physical ability.
Charlie Haas: They've tried twice, and it never works.
Jeff Hardy: Too volatile. WWE would probably take him back if the opportunity presented itself, but I can't ever see Jeff leaving TNA unless it goes under.
Mickie James: country singing career.
John Bradshaw Layfield: got his own thing.
The Rock (I know he won't but man I wish): got his own thing.
Bobby Lashley: I doubt WWE has any interest.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
That is the way the WWE works. People come in, people leave, and very few people stay for a while. I was amazed by the number of people who have left or been future endeavored, but that is the way business works. A youth renewal was much needed, though.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the way the WWE works. People come in, people leave, and very few people stay for a while. I was amazed by the number of people who have left or been future endeavored, but that is the way business works. A youth renewal was much needed, though.
Yeah your right it's just depressing for me, pro wrestling used to be very fun to me but when you have a cookie cutter guy like Evan Bourne who lacks charisma its hard to keep up and care anymore :(

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
Yeah your right it's just depressing for me, pro wrestling used to be very fun to me but when you have a cookie cutter guy like Evan Bourne who lacks charisma its hard to keep up and care anymore :(
Evan Bourne is just like Kaval both of them don't need mic skills to get over, they got over because of their wrestling skills. Same reason how Jeff Hardy got over because he took all those daredevil moves. Not everyone needs charisma to get over.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Wait, is your issue star power or charisma? Those are NOT the same thing. You listed RVD, Lesnar, Goldberg, Haas, Benjamin, and Lashley, all of whom have less charisma than I do in my pinkie toe.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I wouldn't agree with all the names you listed. I think WWE have a handful of games who have real star power and they are HHH, Orton, Cena, Taker & Rey (you could maybe include Edge, Big Show, CM Punk & Kane). Apart from that there isn't really anybody else.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Evan Bourne is just like Kaval both of them don't need mic skills to get over, they got over because of their wrestling skills. Same reason how Jeff Hardy got over because he took all those daredevil moves. Not everyone needs charisma to get over.
But the thing is with Evan Bourne well at least for me I just want to the SSP and that's about it. With Jeff Hardy he had a good arsenal of moves and storylines to make you care about him, thus he got over which makes him charismatic. I never said mic skills is the only way to show off charisma, its one of the most effective attributes but isn't the be all end all. Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, RVD and among others got by through showing off their in ring arsenal lof moves so they found their way to show charisma.

Evan Bourne doesn't really have that he doesn't do much outside hurricanranas and SSP which are the only moves I see from him to care for. Bourne doesn't have the charisma or the mic skills for main event. Jeff Hardy may not have mic skills but because he has charisma he went as far as he did.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Wait, is your issue star power or charisma? Those are NOT the same thing. You listed RVD, Lesnar, Goldberg, Haas, Benjamin, and Lashley, all of whom have less charisma than I do in my pinkie toe.
LOL @ RVD, Goldberg and Lesnar lacking charisma.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RVD, Lesnar, and Goldberg were for sure charismatic wrestlers they gave the audience a reason to care in their respective careers. My issue is lack of starpower AND DEPTH which is why I included the likes of Benjamin, Haas, Lashley and etc. Lashley is a tough call though as he was at a point where he was about to break the glass ceiling and would have been very big.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Most people realized they could do much bigger things outside WWE.

They use WWE to get recognized and a good starting salary, then go on afterwards to other things.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
LOL @ RVD, Goldberg and Lesnar lacking charisma.
You have SEEN a Lesnar promo, haven't you? As awesome as he is in the ring, RVD sounds like he's reading off cue cards or a script every goddamn time. As for Goldberg, INTENSITY is not the same thing as charisma. Goldberg simply jumps off your screen with his intensity, but can you name a single memorable promo of his? For that matter, can you name one for any of those three? Probably not.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I wouldn't agree with all the names you listed. I think WWE have a handful of games who have real star power and they are HHH, Orton, Cena, Taker & Rey (you could maybe include Edge, Big Show, CM Punk & Kane). Apart from that there isn't really anybody else.
I would include Jericho in that list. He's one of the few WWE superstars who have had some success outside of wrestling.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
It just so happened that WWE had so much star power all at once. Now it is time WWE star building up new stars, and that is why there are not only so many new faces, but so many new faces getting substantial pushes.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Over exposure as well as poor booking and harsh treatment has meant the WWE have lost a lot of star quality and failed to make new stars of the same standard as the ones of yesteryear

·
Registered
114 Posts
You have SEEN a Lesnar promo, haven't you? As awesome as he is in the ring, RVD sounds like he's reading off cue cards or a script every goddamn time. As for Goldberg, INTENSITY is not the same thing as charisma. Goldberg simply jumps off your screen with his intensity, but can you name a single memorable promo of his? For that matter, can you name one for any of those three? Probably not.
Mic skill =/= Charisma

Being able to DELIVER a great promo is not the same as being charismatic. Being and acting charismatic is a way of making people give a shit about you. Jeff Hardy has never done a single memorable promo much like the ones you mentioned, but he is jammed full with charisma just like they are. Chris Benoit is another excellent example. You could even include John Cena as an example. He's a good mic worker, good in-ring worker, but what really makes him excel is the fact that he has charisma shooting out from every hole in his entire being.

Mic skills as well as in-ring skills can contribute, but it is always far more too it than that. Charismatic people have a unique presence about them. You can teach someone to deliver a solid promo and you can teach someone to become a solid in-ring worker. But you can NEVER teach someone charisma.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Lesnar and Golderg didn't need to work a mic brilliantly. Because they didn't need to sell themselves as you already knew what their characters were about.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You could say charisma =/= presence. Think Lesnar and Goldberg had a look, a presence and an innate athletic ability. I wouldn't necessarily say that translates to charisma.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts