Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· SGT. AT ARMS
26,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hated it when Balor and Joe won, and i hated it when Aleister Black and Ricochet won, it just doesn't accomplish anything imo. Winning the Dusty Classic should be an accomplishment used to put over a young tag team to give them something to brag about and something to elevate them, what good does it really do for two singles wrestlers whos not gonna continue to be a tag team when its over do? absolutely nothing, the tournament might as well have never happened.

I just can't stand it, its called a tag team classic and often theres a non tag team who wins it cause they always pair up two of the top names from NXT whos way higher on the pecking order than anyone in the tag division and they always win it just because they aint got nothing else to do, its bullshit. And it always bugs me when two dudes decide to randomly team up and they for some reason just have distant chemistry and are perfectly in sync and can defeat all these other tag teams who've been teaming for years.

Its just a waste, can they please stop having two dudes that decided to be a tag team for a month enter the tournament so they can win a trophy? that needs to stop, just keep it to the actual tag teams to be allowed in the tournament not two singles guys that just wanna be a part of the tournament. Imperium or Grizzled Young Veterans deserved the win this year, and they needed it to put them over in america and show the world this little team from the off brand is legitimate and on the same level as the guys on NXT.

Just make the rules to enter be that you have to have been teaming for at least 3 months prior to the tournament and you need to have so many wins as a tag team before you can enter. Enough with these randomly thrown together teams of someone just going "Hey man wanna team up for this tournament and then never tag again after its over just so we can win a cool trophy?".

· The Empire will Reign again
18,474 Posts
The same good it does to have the tag team champions win the Dusty? None whatsoever.

Like all things NXT, I used to love the Dusty and like all things NXT, it took me a while to realize how bad it is. HHH doesn't have any fucking clue what he's doing as a booker, I'll give him credit as a businessman how he's grown NXT from nothing into the top Indy in the US but that's in spite of his atrocious booking.

· Premium Member
27,048 Posts
I agree a tag team should win. But, historically, every two single guys who won have gone on to become champ or have major storylines in NXT. No singles winner has been wasted. The winners also get a title match. It doesn't mean nothing to win.

My viewpoint is like NJPW tournaments. Winners get a trophy and title shot, I think. But, all the matches allow little stories to build. You can get dream matches. You can push a heel turn.

There's so much that happens in NXT surrounding the Dusty Classic. If the one drawback is a tag team doesn't win, I'm ok with that.

· Registered
5,329 Posts
If they keep them together as team, it could be something. But they won't, so its nothing.

What does it do? It says that a hurriedly tossed together team of 2 good singles guys > every dedicated, long term team on the roster.

Same as when on the main roster you have two (or even one ) singles wrestler not even break a sweat beating up the tag champs.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
It is dumb. A genuine team winning the Dusty Classic could set up an instant rivalry with the tag team champions and create at least a couple of months of story. All it does in current format is highlight how thin the tag division is, particularly when thrown-together teams look better than teams that have been together for years. Black and Ricochet and Dunne/Riddle were the best in their tournaments

· Registered
3,009 Posts
Imperium or Grizzled Young Veterans deserved the win this year, and they needed it to put them over in america and show the world this little team from the off brand is legitimate and on the same level as the guys on NXT.
Thank you, I agree. This match would have certified GYV as one of the best tag teams in the company, but for some reason they couldn't let them have that glory.

On the other hand, I can see in a way why Riddle and Dunne were paired. They had to do something with them and they probably didn't know where to position them in the weekly schedule other than this Dusty program, plus Riddle & Dunne are far more over than the Grizzled or Barthel/Aichner, or the rest of the teams excluding O'Reilly & Fish.

· Registered
3,577 Posts
^^^^
This. It's essentially poor booking for the NXT Tag division and lack of planning for Dunne and Riddle. Nothing to do with them, put them in a tag team. That said. I like the results so far. It isn't hurting them. They were the only thrown together team (Shelley/Kushida reunion aside). It's just they haven't developed another tag team. Singles and womens is completely stacked in NXT tag teams have gone to the way side a little.

Dusty Classic is a means to an end storyline wise but a good showcase for everyone else. I think it achieved that this year. GYV are fantastic but are heels so were never going to win. Some great tag teams there. Just no big baby faces that are built up enough to be serious challengers for UE.

Street Profits and Viking Raiders heading to the main roster left things a bit dry. BritAm Bruisers should have been involved. I think the Oney Lorcan contract/twitter debacle probably hurt them but they dropped the ball a little previous to that too. They haven't done anything with Team 3.0 except jobbing them out. There just isn't a babyface tag team.

With the pressures of Takeover to deliver Broserweights is star power and will make a great match.

· Registered
5,943 Posts
NXT tag division needs a major pop. Mustache Mtn need to be there permanently but they still need like 2 more in addition to that. I wouldn’t be shocked if The Revival would love to be back in Orlando.

· Registered
1,979 Posts
Imperium or Grizzled Young Veterans deserved the win this year, and they needed it to put them over in america and show the world this little team from the off brand is legitimate and on the same level as the guys on NXT.
1) they aren’t on the same level as the guys on NXT, not the ones you mentioned at least.
2) Imperium is only over because of WALTER
3) GYV have go away heat and only go away heat Bc of Zack Gibson. His whole “Liverpool’s #1” doesn’t matter to anyone outside of Merseyside. And I can’t for the life of me tell you what his partners name is off the top of my head.

Don’t get me wrong, they aren’t bad talents. You’re just off of your rocker if you think a team from NXTUK is going to come into NXT and win a Dusty Classic. If Mustache Mountain couldn’t do it, a couple of guys that nobody outside of the UK knows definitely won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
12,005 Posts
I think it's great, don't have a problem with it at all. Two guys who are the most over in the tournament, great in the ring, developed a good opposites chemistry - what's not to like? I don't see the downside at all - it's a feather in the cap of two of the most promising prospects out there IMO.

This is also about building the credibility of the tournament itself. You give the strongest most over guys the win - it's made more fun and will be more valued next year.

Another point is it shows there is value in winning tangible prizes that don't have to be belts. If they're smart it can be built up to something really special.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.