Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michael Jackson's music seems to range from various genres. I know his monkier for being called "The King of Pop" but that moniker sounds like he was soley a pop artist. His music seems R&B, Funk, Dance and even rockish in certain songs (Dirty Diana comes to mind). So does he have a difinitive genre?

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I see pop (which, btw, is an abbreviation of popular) as a catch-all term which can include many different genres. As you point out, Jackson's music took in numerous different genres so it falls into the pop category imo.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
he does. it's Pop.

EVERY great pop artist takes a lot from other genres. but that doesn't change the fact that they are ultimately pop artists. and he's the King of Pop, so, yeah.

Pop doesn't have a definitive sound like R&B or Hip Hop or somethng. Pop could be Miley Cyrus, or it could be Michael Jackson. it's what they take from other genres that make their music.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I see pop (which, btw, is an abbreviation of popular) as a catch-all term which can include many different genres.
See, I don't agree with that. For many years Eminem, Slipknot, Megadeth, ACDC etc were all popular but weren't pop. Pop doesn't mean popular, not anymore.

I think MJ was defined for being a genre hopper, he was open to all and actually prevailed in many, many different aspects from, as the OP stated; R&B, Funk, Dance, soul, innovation,, the list goes on with Michael Jackson.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
See, I don't agree with that. For many years Eminem, Slipknot, Megadeth, ACDC etc were all popular but weren't pop. Pop doesn't mean popular, not anymore.

I think MJ was defined for being a genre hopper, he was open to all and actually prevailed in many, many different aspects from, as the OP stated; R&B, Funk, Dance, soul, innovation,, the list goes on with Michael Jackson.
You misunderstand, being popular doesn't make it pop, being aimed at a widest possible audience does. Often this results in whatever individuality the performer has being reduced to the point where they are indistinguishable from one another. While the word popular has always been used, populist would be better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts