Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Unfortunately, Punk has become the Brock Lesnar of the wrestling media.

I dunno i think him potentially shitting on WWE and telling it like it is, is very intriguing, he had no problem shitting on that Corbin and Reigns dog costume segment, it was refreshing to hear some actual raw honesty on a WWE show, and you can tell he gives no fucks about whatever he says cause he doesn't work for Vince, that just adds a whole other level of interest to the show.
Punk shitting on the dog food segment makes his “truth” look more like that mindless negativity some people spew in order to appear smarter than they are.

Roman and Corbin are more interesting and over right now as a result of the emotional reaction they gave everyone from performing that spot.

I wouldn’t mind Punk’s nervousness on the show if he provided a unique insight of some kind, but he hasn’t even made one genuinely insightful comment, has he?

It’s just disappointing. People worship this guy, and I understand why they’d enjoy his charisma, but I don’t understand why he became the mega star people talk about.

I wasn’t watching during his run... was he really in the verge of being a Cena/Rock level star?

Is he better than Baniel Bryan? Now Bryan is someone who clearly comes across as insightful/impressive whenever he makes an appearance on a show. You can see why he’s a star.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I'm sure he has the Brock Lesnar deal...shows up when he's contracted to be there. Not paid probably exorbitantly high in ratio to Lesnar I would assume, but good money at least.

·
None. More. Hated.
5,122 Posts
Backstage is filmed in LA. There was never an chance he was flying out to LA every week.

They made it clear from day one he wasn't appearing weekly.

Maybe Punk just doesn't want to wrestle anymore and this is what he wants to do.
You could still have him on via Skype, he could shoot a 2 minute segment recapping the weeks events, etc. For him to be on once a month seems a little stupid.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,395 Posts
Then he shouldn't have agreed to do the show thats so far from where he lives so he never wants to fly out there.

At the very fucking least he could fly out to LA once every other week for the show, but its just pointless for him to show up like once every 4 or 5 weeks, people have already stopped caring about him being on there due to him never being on there. Which i assume they got him on the show to get eyes on it and interest but him never being there has kinda killed that, so signing him onto the show was kinda pointless cause him never being on it isn't getting eyes on the show.
We get it, you're pissed he's not on every week. Don't try to dole out business advice to him just because you're moody about it. Not a good look. No one's holding a gun to your head - watch it or don't.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The points of it all as best I see them..
Fox hoping for a ratings boost.
Vince hoping the ratings boost rubs off on Smackdown and or Raw.
Punk gets a payday and exposure in a cushy gig and doesn't have to work for Vince.
Punk is milking it right now. Punk is basically teasing Vince here, but this has to do more with Fox. Can you imagine how much Punk got paid? Just to show up talk a bit he made quite a bit. Honestly Punk is the biggest winner here he comes talks a bit, teases Vince's, and leaves with a nice big fat pay check.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
It’s just disappointing. People worship this guy, and I understand why they’d enjoy his charisma, but I don’t understand why he became the mega star people talk about.

I wasn’t watching during his run... was he really in the verge of being a Cena/Rock level star?

Is he better than Baniel Bryan? Now Bryan is someone who clearly comes across as insightful/impressive whenever he makes an appearance on a show. You can see why he’s a star.
Punk came at the right time with the right gimmick. His whining promos touched on a lot of the complaints fans had about the product at the time. He had a level of authenticity that made you believe him.

Nowadays, the "shoot promo" gimmick has passed. If Punk came back and cut one of those promos, it wouldn't have nearly the same impact. He'd still get a huge pop, but the minute he steps out on a WWE wrestling program again, he pretty much kills the authenticity of his gimmick, and Punk's gimmick is largely dependent on your ability to believe what he says. Him leaving the fed in bitterness was the perfect way for his gimmick to go out.

·
Southern Pride
2,824 Posts
This really isn't that important y'all.

I'm sure that Punks plan from the start was to only be on Backstage every so often. After all, he was burnt out of wrestling before. It would have been stupid for him to agree to do it every single week. Plus this keeps his appearances a lot more special. If he was on Backstage every week the same people would be like "i'm tired of him already, the excitement has worn off and I have moved on from the show".

41 - 49 of 49 Posts