Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its bullshit how people call the WWEs watered down wrestling a "style". Its not a "style" its just wrestling watered down because of their busy road schedule. A real difference in "style" would be like Lucha Libre, or Puroresu, or Hardcore, etc.

So what do people exactly mean when they call it WWE style? Personally I think its just a sugar coated way of saying "Watered Down Wrestling". If the WWEs schedule was so demanding we wouldnt have the wrestlers so limited to a few moves.

And I understand that psychology and the storytelling is way more important but could you guys imagine if they were allowed to use their complete arsnel of moves and at the same time use a great amount storytelling? Wed probably see Pro-Wrestling is its most evolved state. It really sucks that WWE schedule is so demanding...

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Tell a story. The WWE has perfected that to the absolute T. I don't think you realize how hard and demanding it is to tell and story and do their arsenal of moves every single week, every single year. The WWE has created the perfect way to engage the fans while making sure their wrestlers are healthy.

Don't believe Cornette or other people who bash the WWE because they water down wrestling. It's needed because it's difficult to continue 5-star matches every single time. Look at TNA, their roster puts out gorgeous matches, but not only does it NOT attract more viewers, but it gambles with the wrestlers lives.

You want the WWE to stop live events every week just to watch 3-5 star matches just for TV? hell no.

·
Registered
559 Posts
hmm well i think there style is basically like what vince wants. its the wrestlers dumbed down to prevent injuries and burning themselves out. there were some incredible matches in the early 90s but there were shit loads of injuries. so yea its watered down, but for a good reason. but with all the new talent i think the next era will be revolved around wrestling unless thats wishful thinking

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell a story. The WWE has perfected that to the absolute T. I don't think you realize how hard and demanding it is to tell and story and do their arsenal of moves every single week, every single year. The WWE has created the perfect way to engage the fans while making sure their wrestlers are healthy.

Don't believe Cornette or other people who bash the WWE because they water down wrestling. It's needed because it's difficult to continue 5-star matches every single time. Look at TNA, their roster puts out gorgeous matches, but not only does it NOT attract more viewers, but it gambles with the wrestlers lives.

You want the WWE to stop live events every week just to watch 3-5 star matches just for TV? hell no.
Sorry but thats a bunch of bullcrap. There are many promotions out there who can tell stories and have an arsnel of moves within the match at the same time. If you don't believe me watch anything that Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko did in japan. Even more recently take Joe vs Kobashi in 05 for example. That match told of story a Japansese Legend trying to take down a hugley established monster and you believed that every second through their movements. and at the same time they were both able to do whatever the hell they wanted technically.

Im not expecting them to kill themsevels every week, because I don't feel more moves necessarily means more risk. Its just why can't the WWE do more submissions, more chains locks, more move variations, etc.?

·
Registered
128 Posts
As I see it, the WWE has a very mainstream audience (especially that it's PG) so it's like a hybrid of different styles. We don't see predominantly submission or hardcore matches mainly because the shows appeal to a wide range of demographic; concentrating on only one style will alienate the other viewers who prefer another style.

As for the watered-down thing, it's a necessity especially with the very demanding schedule. Of course we don't want to see guys especially the young ones occasionally sit out for months due to surgery and rehab. Especially with the deaths involving WWE wrestlers (Eddie, Benoit, Umaga, etc), the company is forced to keep improving the working environment in order to deter bad press, and one way of doing that is by toning down the matches.

·
Registered
319 Posts
How much Japanese wrestling have you actually watched? Kenta Kobashi vs. Samoa Joe is the worst example of Japanese match psychology you could have chosen. You go on and talk about wrestling moves and psychology, but more than half of that Kobashi/Joe was chops and Samoa Joe ripping off every Japanese wrestling he could think of. Additionaly, "Puroresu" is not a style. King's Road (AJPW 72-00), Strong Style (blanket term for what NJPW), Ark Style (NOAH's blanket term) are "styles" and they're all different.

WWE's main event matches are (obviously) stuctured and styled after AJPW 90's in terms of false finishes. That's thanks to Johnny Ace. In terms of the actual quality of the work, that's a different matter.

With that said, I don't enjoy most WWE matches. The problem with them are the wrestlers, not the "style." There are a handful of people that can work WWE's style perfectly fine.

Pro-Wrestling at it's most "evolved" state was All Japan Pro-Wrestling from during the 1990s.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Sorry but thats a bunch of bullcrap. There are many promotions out there who can tell stories and have an arsnel of moves within the match at the same time. If you don't believe me watch anything that Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko did in japan. Even more recently take Joe vs Kobashi in 05 for example. That match told of story a Japansese Legend trying to take down a hugley established monster and you believed that every second through their movements. and at the same time they were both able to do whatever the hell they wanted technically.

Im not expecting them to kill themsevels every week, because I don't feel more moves necessarily means more risk. Its just why can't the WWE do more submissions, more chains locks, more move variations, etc.?
For the love of... *shakes his head*

And oh, I see. This thread was pretty much a "Agree with me or it's bullshit" thread.

Alright. I'm done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts