Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the IWC consider to be wrestling? I ask this question because I hear people complain about wrestling being boring or a certain wrestler can't wrestle so if you wouldn't mind could you please define wrestling.

·
Registered
520 Posts
As with every forum, people will have different opinions and viewpoints. You won't find one definitive answer I'm afraid.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
You consider the ICW as one big collective Mind?

·
Registered
194 Posts
You're not going to get one answer. The IWC doesn't share a collective opinion despite repeated attempts to paint it as such. All shades of fan show up here, it's just a combination of the types who avidly follow wrestling meeting the types who like to join communities and have internet access.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Wrestle is a spectrum of different things, you can't simply sum it up.

Different people have a variety of preferences when it comes to Professional Wrestling, this means you can't pin point the exact definition of what "Wrestling" is, we aren't all one person. Some people prefer typical WWE matches in which wrestlers are normally considered limited, moveset wise. These types of matches tend to be more over the top and entertaining to the casuals and are usually finished by a sequence of wrestling moves that the crowd are familiar with and can get behind. Other people like technical matches which include a lot of submission moves and chain wrestling. It's all down to the individual.

·
Banned
852 Posts
You mean defining "wrestling" as in-ring skill?

Dean Malenko.
Truer words have never been spoken, my friend. (Y) I was going to go on about technical exchanges, mat wrestling and whatnot, but your post is really all that needs to be said.

·
Shooting the birds down from the trees
4,506 Posts
I'll explain what I think a good wrestler to be.
Someone who has an impressive move set. Very rarely botches. Can tell a story in the ring. A guy who can take bumps. Can make both himself and the other guy look good. A guy who can get the crowd going and interested in the match. Has good endurance and fitness. Can sell moves so the other guy looks good. Not essential but isn't afraid to get on top ropes and has a good finisher.

Those are some of the attributes I would want from a good wrestler.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Wrestling is an art and with art comes opinions. Some prefer Van Gogh but some dislike him and prefer Picasso. It's all about taste and the style the person most enjoys.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would say a few things you can judge as legitimate, universal concepts of in-ring wrestling ability, like:

• Ability to execute a move with technical accuracy.
  • Ability to be in the right position at the right time.
  • Ability to sell an opponent's move.
  • Ability to signal your opponent without catching attention of the audience.
  • Ability to learn new moves or seek out refreshing variations on existing ones.
  • Ability to maintain concentration/endurance throughout a match, especially longer ones.

I think regardless of why style is preferred or considered 'good' wrestling, those traits are pretty universally regarded as quality and with them you're a better wrestler.

Reactions: BULLY

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I'll explain what I think a good wrestler to be.
Someone who has an impressive move set. Very rarely botches. Can tell a story in the ring. A guy who can take bumps. Can make both himself and the other guy look good. A guy who can get the crowd going and interested in the match. Has good endurance and fitness. Can sell moves so the other guy looks good. Not essential but isn't afraid to get on top ropes and has a good finisher.

Those are some of the attributes I would want from a good wrestler.
Daniel Bryan basically.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts