Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smackdown is considered the B show by so many that I see.

Why? What does Smackdown lack that RAW has? It has:

Longer more entertaining matches
Great mic segments
No jobber comedy segments
Current mid-card talents that are the future of the entire company
and...Matt Striker on commentary! :agree:

So really...is it only the B show because of it's lower ratings? If that's the case, then Smackdown IS the A show.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Let's see:

1. RAW is seen as the flagship show by people even outside of wrestling.

2. It has been on the same day for over a decade.

3. It was the show that carried the Monday Night Wars.

4. Most of the biggest names in wrestling are on that.

5. It's almost always live.

6. It gets higher ratings.

7. Cause Vince McMahon said so.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RAW has been around for a very long time...and I get why people SEE it as the flagship show because of it's history.

But in actuality, it shouldn't be, because it's content has begun to slip. It's become the promo show, whilst Smackdown has gone on to become the actual wrestling show.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Basically, what Hotdiggity said, though I'll add a few:

.Raw's marketed as the top dog.

.Smackdown's roster generally has more midcarders/upper midcarders. Very few stars.

.Raw has the biggest storylines.

.Smackdown has a better in-ring product and more matches. Better in-ring product/more matches = Little mainstream interest.

Raw has Cena.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did Cena debut? Exactly...Smackdown!

So whose to say that out of the mid-card talents on the show, another Cena-like superstar won't rise.

Who was Cena before Smackdown? Nobody knew who that kid was.

·
Ichi Bakayaro
9,086 Posts
There's just something about Smackdown that feels...meh. I actually look forward to Raw, as mediocre as it may be at times, whereas I usually forget to watch Smackdown. Raw just feels like more of an event, if that makes sense. Can't really explain it. I thought it had to do with Smackdown being taped, but even the live SD a few weeks ago felt pretty much the same.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Smackdown :

A.Has a STALE main event scene consisting of two guys past their prime limping through their 3rd PPV IN A ROW soon...... They could be pushing Swagger , Del Rio , etc in the main event instead of these old folks

B.Does not have stables (Stables = Ratings!)

C.Has had the SAME IC champion for what , like a YEAR straight now?

D.A good timeslot. Friday @ 8 = LOTS of people out partying or spending paychecks on something or other , and thats about dinner time for alot of people too

Overall , what RAW has that SD doesn't is a ton of new blood now being pumped through its veins! Nexus , Riley , etc is all awesome and exciting

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Where did Cena debut? Exactly...Smackdown!

So whose to say that out of the mid-card talents on the show, another Cena-like superstar won't rise.

Who was Cena before Smackdown? Nobody knew who that kid was.
Where did Cena become Hulk Hogan 2010?
Raw.

What was Cena on Smackdown?
Mid-carder.

When a mid-card talent gets really big on Smackdown, they usually go to Raw.

Cena on Smackdown then = Worthless.

If Cena was on Smackdown now = Instant ratings boost.

And that's thanks to the exposure he got, and gets, on Raw.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smackdown :

A.Has a STALE main event scene consisting of two guys past their prime limping through their 3rd PPV IN A ROW soon...... They could be pushing Swagger , Del Rio , etc in the main event instead of these old folks

B.Does not have stables (Stables = Ratings!)

C.Has had the SAME IC champion for what , like a YEAR straight now?

D.A good timeslot. Friday @ 8 = LOTS of people out partying or spending paychecks on something or other , and thats about dinner time for alot of people too

Overall , what RAW has that SD doesn't is a ton of new blood now being pumped through its veins! Nexus , Riley , etc is all awesome and exciting
A: Agreed
B: They will soon
C: I believe that within the past year the IC champs have been Morrison, then McIntyre, followed by Kofi Kingston, and now Dolph Ziggler.
D: It IS a good timeslot, as it starts an hour earlier than RAW, 5:00 on the west coast, 8:00 on the east coast. The day is debatable because it IS the start of the weekend, but it's been on fridays for a long time and hasn't been canceled yet.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where did Cena become Hulk Hogan 2010?
Raw.

What was Cena on Smackdown?
Mid-carder.

When a mid-card talent gets really big on Smackdown, they usually go to Raw.

Cena on Smackdown then = Worthless.

If Cena was on Smackdown now = Instant ratings boost.

And that's thanks to the exposure he got, and gets, on Raw.
Name 3 more talents besides Cena that went to RAW after they became really big.

Cena on Smackdown then equaled the future of the WWE that we see today. Even his debut was HUGE, and he was worthless? His debut was similar to ADR except ADR won his first match.

Plus, didn't Edge just go to Smackdown after his horrible run on RAW? Now he's doing amazing right? Swagger went to Smackdown because he became the WHC! That's not getting big for a mid-carder?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It lacks the big stories raw gets.
Celebrity endorsments raw gets (like it or not they wont just show up on SD)
viewership that raw gets
talent that raw gets in name value
time and channel that raw gets
brand recognition of raw itself

although saying that back in the summer of 09 SD was miles better than raw in terms of product and probably still is with the exception of nexus on raw. SD also has everything you could want from a wrestling company (except top names aplenty). Officially raw is the A show for the above but its up to you how you perseeve it but to the WWE (all that matters) Raw is the A show whether you think it is or SD is.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Name 3 more talents besides Cena that went to RAW after they became really big.
Ah, I posted wrong. I meant that superstars go to Raw to become big. I doubt Cena would be half as big as he is had WWE kept him on Smackdown, which has been Raw's developmental grounds for a long time.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So then why does the WWE persist in keeping it the B show by not giving it top stars and promoting it far less?

If Smackdown is looked down upon so surely as the B show, then there is no point in Bragging Rights, because we know which show is better right? Maybe if there was more of an argument to which show is better BR would be more hyped and relevant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts