Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking these fourms for quite a while now, and one thing that kept comming up during the weekly turn John Cena heel topic of the week was that it would be disastrous for merch sales. This never made much sense to me. If heels couldn't sell merch, why would they even bother making it for them? Is it only for Cena that this is a common opinion or something? If so, I still have to question why. I mean this theory hasn't even been tested before has it?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I don't think they would drop as drastically as people think, but they would probably see a bit of a drop. But a lot of people like the heels, because most people understand they are just characters, kids included. If they like a wrestler, no matter face or heel, they will buy their shit.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Miz is a heel and he doesn't have a problem selling T-shirts. And Triple H sold a great deal of shirts during the Attitude & Ruthless Aggression Eras. So why is it different for Cena.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Because Cena's fanbase are kids, they all think WWE is real and if he's going to turn "on them"? there's nothing left for him.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,084 Posts
kids make up less than a quarter of the viewership.

The top guys will always sell merch regardless of face/heel alignment.

·
Banned
63 Posts
By being a face, the crowd is more behind you. A lot of people like the face, he's the hero, the one that everyone likes. So it only makes sense that a lot of people are behind him and will want his merchandise, which makes him sell more. Compared to the heel. I mean, sure, a lot of people like heels too, but the face usually has more fans (women, kids, generally people who just look up to the face as a role model).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By being a face, the crowd is more behind you. A lot of people like the face, he's the hero, the one that everyone likes. So it only makes sense that a lot of people are behind him and will want his merchandise, which makes him sell more. Compared to the heel. I mean, sure, a lot of people like heels too, but the face usually has more fans (women, kids, generally people who just look up to the face as a role model).
Lets analyze this shall we. Lets take Orton for instance who at the moment is a face. Now if memory serves me right sometime last year he said he would punt his own, or was it Sheamus' grandmother. I'm glad we have men like that for kids to look up to right? If his merch can sell as he is than why can't a heel's?

·
Old School
4,783 Posts
Because no one's going to buy a t-shirt and represent someone they hate. Since Cena's moving the most merch, this would obviously hurt WWE's merch sales. Then again, it could be balanced out by his newly gained adult male fan base. You never know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts