Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone legit been body slammed on a real ring? I know everyone talks about it hurting a ton, just wondering what it is comparative to?

·
Actually in The Business
1,057 Posts
I worked in pro wrestling for 4 years and it really depends on how you land. If you take a single bad bump every single one after that hurts that much more. It depends on the ring and how well it was put together. How thick the padding is, where in the ring you land. The center of the ring has more give which would make it hurt less. So there are really a ton of factors that effects how much it hurts.

You certainly feel it, it's not like landing on a pillow like many people think. It does hurt and just something you have to deal with.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Imagine being slammed flat on your back on a carpet floor with a tiny bit of give... pretty much what it feels like. It certainly isn't as "fake" and cushy as people seem to assume. Bumping is honestly probably the most exhausting part of training. It takes a ton out of you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I took a powerful bodyslam once on grass in my younger days and that hurt like a bitch lol.. It literally took all the wind right out of me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Really it only hurts if you're not taking it properly and/or you are doing it for the first time. Otherwise, your body gets used to it. It's a back bump, and if you go to wrestling school you'll take plenty of those.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
It still amazes me watching a simple wrestling match, knowing that there's no way a body slam doesn't hurt like hell. But then taking into account slams off the top rope, off of ladders, etc... It's amazing that these guys can do this nearly every single night for years at a time. I don't see how more guys aren't in wheelchairs.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It still amazes me watching a simple wrestling match, knowing that there's no way a body slam doesn't hurt like hell. But then taking into account slams off the top rope, off of ladders, etc... It's amazing that these guys can do this nearly every single night for years at a time. I don't see how more guys aren't in wheelchairs.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Well, it's not really surprising when even Mick Foley isn't in a wheelchairs ( and I'm glad about that, it would be so sad if he had to )

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Has anyone legit been body slammed on a real ring? I know everyone talks about it hurting a ton, just wondering what it is comparative to?
Put like 3 or 4 normal sized carpets on top of one another. Then of course, they also know how to fall, like flatten your shoulders out.

·
Premium Member
8,546 Posts
Trained exactly once in a real wrestling ring for a try-out.
Definitely depends on where in the ring you bump. I had the misfortune of being made to do a rapid fire bumping drill probably close to or directly on where one of the main ring support beams was located.
Guess how that turned out?
The trainer was a bit of a dick and not the most professional. I'm thinking he knew that that location would be bad, especially over and over. I took it though and didn't quit. Barring that incident, it was overall still a good experience and satisfied my curiosity of the day in day out toll that a ring could take on one's body.

I'd consider re-training elsewhere except I have chronic/semi-severe lower back problems already (very possibly made much worse from that incident) so it's probably just not meant to be.

·
Da Warthog!
3,275 Posts
Go into the next public swim hall and just let yourself drop from the middle towers backwards, landing flat on the back and extended arms to get an approximation

1 - 19 of 19 Posts