Wrestling Forum banner

Which of these two PPVs is a bigger event?

• Summerslam

Votes: 38 37.6%
  • Royal Rumble

Votes: 63 62.4%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
HEADBANGA
25,277 Posts
Royal Rumble is the set up to the biggest PPV of the year. I never looked at Summerslam as anything substantial, it seems like a regular PPV to me. :-/

·
Registered
794 Posts
Rumble for me. If only for the Rumble match itself which is always great to watch. Plus Royal Rumble 2000 is my favourite ever PPV.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The Royal Rumble to me is even better than wrestlemania

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Royal Rumble, its just a legendary event, 30 men in one ring battling it out for contender-ship. Summerslam is just the summers version of Wrestlemania, at least to me. It does have some epic matches and has some of my greatest matches of all time from it but nothing beats Royal Rumble for me.

·
FAKE HAPPY
Born to lose, live to win
12,732 Posts
Royal Rumble. It's my favourite PPV. Even though Summerslam 2000 is my favourite PPV event.

·
Sleeps nude in an oxygen tent.
4,743 Posts
Probably Summerslam but I voted Rumble

·
Registered
21,660 Posts
Royal Rumble by far for me, it's always such a good show and it's the show that wrestling fans look forward to most (even more than WrestleMania.) Of course the IWC know Wrestlemania is a bigger deal but for the casual fan, there's nothing greater than the Rumble.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
The Royal Rumble to me is even better than wrestlemania
Yeah, I'd actually agree. I'm shocked Summer Slam has more than 5 votes. It hasn't been that relevant in over 10 years now. The Royal Rumble has had many years where it was better than Wrestlemania IMO.

It might be neat to go year by year since all three events began (1988 or 89, if you count the first rumble) and rank the three PPV's by year, see how many years one may pick the RR or SS over WM

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Summerslam is the bigger/better event itself. But in terms of aftermaths, Rumble is obviously better as it leads to RTWM.

And SS past few years have had the worst aftermaths in quite some time(Punk stuff fading real fast,and Nexus dying soon after summerslam)

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
The last SummerSlam that truly felt like a huge deal was 2002. Ever since then, they can call it a big show all they want, it's not. Brock Lesnar and Triple H should bring back that big time feel a little bit, but I don't know if they can fully make it feel like #2, given that Brock has already wrestled and lost, and Triple H lost his last match too (as he should've, don't get me wrong). SummerSlam should've really been his first match with John Cena, Triple H at Survivor Series, he competes in the Royal Rumble and tears everyone in half, only to be ganged up on by the rest of the participants, then he faces Taker at WrestleMania and loses and that's it for him.

The Royal Rumble is waning in prestige, since the last 5 Rumble winners have either lost or had 18 second wins, but I still consider it a lot bigger than SummerSlam. Admittedly, the Royal Rumble is my favourite match of the year, so maybe I'm putting more stock in it than it's worth, but it's the first stop on the Road to WrestleMania, and a Royal Rumble win cements you in the history books. SummerSlam is not WrestleMania mini, like they want you to think it is.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts