Wrestling Forum banner

What do you think about matches not always ending by way of finishers more often?

1567 17
I've just noticed recently JoMo has been ending matches with moves other than his finisher Starship Pain. I remember a few months back in a tag match against the Hart Dynasty (I think) he ended the match with the C4, which is basically a flip bottom. Also these days he's been using that springboard flash kick and that running knee to a seated opponent as a means to end his matches.

Another thing I noticed was Kofi Kingston using a flying cross-body from the top-rope to win matches.

Now apart from the flip bottom these moves are very common and seem to be used in loads of matches in pro wrestling in general. So could using non-finishing moves to win matches add to unpredictability in matches?

I remember back at Wrestlemania 25 watching HBK Vs Undertaker in what was a outstanding match, I was hanging on every move, every spot. Undertaker dives head-first out the ring landing very awkwardly and I'm thinking "Holy shit, he's broken his neck! Is he actually gonna lose by a spot like that?"

I mean how predictable is it these days to sit through watching a Wrestlemania main event where superstar A has superstar B in a sleeper hold? You just know that's not gonna end the match, it's gotta be an Attitude Adjustment reversed into an RKO or a running spear thrown onto the ropes for a 619. I'm not saying Miz should beat CM Punk by hitting a basic suplex. Maybe Wade Barrett would attempt a Wasteland on Kofi Kingston but ends up having it reversed into a very nasty looking impaler DDT?

I'm not saying Finishers should be removed from matches entirely, the use of a finisher may give the guy on the receiving end a little credibility, as if say the only way Triple H could beat Sheamus was by hitting a pedigree. Maybe just OCCASIONALLY a match ends by say a worked botch from the top rope instead?

I understand that these moves are a huge part of the showmanship and psychology in professional wrestling. I just think it would maybe just make high-stakes matches more exciting in particular, possibly giving a more competitive combat sport-like feel? Instead of just a race to see who can hit their main move first. That's the best I could word it. Your thoughts?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think the balance is pretty good the way it is now. Finishers are an important part of a wrestling match because it represents the climax of the drama, and when a wrestler can nail his finisher and score the pin it just seems like a more decisive victory.

The occasional quick roll up or unconventional win is cool to keep things unpredictable, but I generally like to see my favorite guys land their signature moves.

And Kofi's cross body off the top is Amazing! The dude gets so much air it looks unreal.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Matches should start ending with Signature moves(HHH's spinebuster, Edge's Edgecution, Orton's Spike DDT and Backbreaker, Cena's top rope leg drop and 5 knuckle shuffle, etc.). Then on PPV's it should take multiple signatures and MAYBE a finisher to end the match. Multiple finnishers should be aved for monsters only, like Taker, Kane, Zeke, etc.

·
Registered
20,042 Posts
They should incorporate more non-finisher finishes into matches. Take Warrior/Savage at WM for example. Warrior didn't win through his usual finisher but instead kept pummeling and pummeling Savage until he was done for. Roll-ups can also be used to keep the loser looking credible such as when Owen beat Bret at WM.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I think what annoys me now is that so many people kick out of finishers nowadays.

·
Registered
317 Posts
What concerns me more is the present tendency for matches to be won or lost by distraction or outside interference resulting in a disqualification. It's almost as if that cuts the match off prematurely before the finisher can be hit.

I think what annoys me now is that so many people kick out of finishers nowadays.
I agree. For instance I thought having Big Show kicking out of Drew McIntyre, Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler's finishers in succession in that #1 contenders match a month ago was a poor booking - I mean these three are supposed to be future champions one day.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Yeah that's like, oh hey guys! Just letting you know if you don't get it by now, nobody can beat the big show!

Troublesome to say the least.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
If a Moves looks sick i think it should sometimes end the Match.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
69,099 Posts
Good. My biggest knock on the WWE style of working matches is the rediculous notion that each guy only has a move or two that can win a match.

I'm with the other guy who said they'd like to see Ref stoppage/KO (worked obviously) finishes.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
69,099 Posts
The thing I always loved the 90's All Japan King's Road style of working was a top guy like Misawa would beat a jobber just by elbowing the guy in the fucking face, would have to amp it up against a main eventer and bust out a move like the Emerald Frosion and against the #2 guy in the company he'd have to bust out his death move the Tiger Driver '91, and then sometimes they'd completely fake you out after that point and he'd be back to knocking fools out with an elbow to the face after all else failed.

WWE its like, oh Orton just hit so and so with an RKO so screwy finish aside this match is over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.