Wrestling Forum banner

What Would You Want?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I am the Prince of Saiyans once again!!
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was talking to a few of my buddies, and they agree with me on a few points that Pro Wrestling has strayed away from.

1.Carbon copies of wrestlers, people like DiBiase, Orton, Rhodes, Masters, Cena, Barrett and on and on look exactly the same. Cut, graphic tights, plain. Some of the best talent we've ever had weren't these abercrombie look-a-likes, talent like "The Nasty Boys", The Dudlyz, Ricky Steamboat, Andre, Sean Waltman, Bret Hart, Jack Roberts, Roddy piper, Jerry Lawler, Ted Dibiase Sr. These guys wern't in bad shape by no means, but they definetly had the build of someone you could identify with. One of the main reasons Roddy Piper is one of my heroes is that he looked like a pissed off scot and thats it. Nobody was worried about his fat % or his 6-pack.

2. There aren't anymore gimmicks. I think one of the best things about HHH v. Taker, The Rock coming back, Austin back on WWE TV is that the 'gimmicks' of these stars is what's holding the fabric of WWE together. To the point, more gimmicks = better wrestling.

3. 2 Hour shows with 2 matches. Need I say more?

So my question to you is do you like the direction the WWE is taken with the aesthetic feel of there talent and the writing caliber, or do you think we need to look back at a simpler time when face paint, accents, tassels and attitudes were reigning supreme?

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
I'm a very progressive person. However, considering I spend way more time watching old wrestling videos on YouTube than I do watching any of the current product, I make no qualms about saying that if I could snap my fingers and bring back the wrestling I watched as a kid, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

·
Childish Gambino Is #1
6,242 Posts
I don't even think this is a matter of bringing back the "Attitude Era".
Just bring back the "fun". How can I like a character.......when he's not even a character.

·
Banned
176 Posts
I'm all about the constant progress,that's why i chose the "back to good ol' days" option.There is nothing progressive about today's WWE,no innovation,no pushing the envelope.But mostly i miss colors.Everything in today's WWE is so corporate,grey and sterile.Bring back the colors.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I could point out the serious flaws in the OP's points, but I don't mean to derail the thread. To answer the poll... why in the world would anyone want to go back to what has already been done? Things progress, for better or for worse. Any change is better than retreading old ground.

Seriously though, "no gimmicks"? What show are you watching?

·
I am the Prince of Saiyans once again!!
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could point out the serious flaws in the OP's points, but I don't mean to derail the thread. To answer the poll... why in the world would anyone want to go back to what has already been done? Things progress, for better or for worse. Any change is better than retreading old ground.

Seriously though, "no gimmicks"? What show are you watching?
There's a difference between having an American Hero, A Surfer with face paint, A monster with a mask, and an overweight sumo wrestling and having a tat'd 20 something year old punt people in the head and having an italian with a uni-brow ruining a tag division.

And I thought I took off the vote for both, ill fix it.

All Im saying is that I dont want re-hash, but maybe a glance back as to WHY people liked the extrme gimmicks. Dont clone an era, but maybe learn from it, rather then ignore it. PG wrestling isn't very popular to the audience that know how to voice there minds.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I voted Leave progress alone and see what happens!

I honestly don't care about 1) and 2) in OP's post. But the fact 3) is true, is a joke. This was just a bad Raw though, it will improve in the future... hopefully.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
This was a though one but only because there really is no going back.
I would like to say that I agree. Not into cookie cutter wrestlers (Clay should have won NXT).
Gimmicks can be great but they can also be horrible. Many wrestlers have watched their career swirl the toilet following a horrible gimmick.
More wrestling please. Totally agree with that.
I'd even take it a step further. I'd like to see the way that matches are wrestled go back to the old days. You know, when guys would actually feel each other out, wrestle and tell a story. I also spend a lot of time watching old matches and a great wrestling match is timeless. Spots can be great but too much takes away from the impact (I'm thinking MCMG vs Gen Me, too much too fast with no story).

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
agree on all points, and about number 3...

every match doesnt have to be a 25 minute chain-wrestling 5 star classic. you can have a couple of squashes, to put over people - of course this would require that WE accept that some guys are jobbers. you can have a few matches end in a no-contest or double dq, just to put over the FEUD, to show us these guys hate each other, to show us WHY they need to be put in a no dq match or cage or whatever.

you could fit in a fair number of matches, and clipping a few minutes off some of the laborious promos wouldnt hurt, either.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I don't even think this is a matter of bringing back the "Attitude Era".
Just bring back the "fun". How can I like a character.......when he's not even a character.
Actually couldnt have said it better myself. This is why when we see guys like Rhodes in his feud against Mysterio, or Kofi when he was feuding RKO way back, its so refreshing to see these young midcarders show character in proper feuds rather than being put in meaningless matches week in week out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When we have so little background information about the wrestlers, and so little interaction with them outside the ring, we need them to have more clearcut characters. Otherwise the only difference between is them is their finishing move.

I dont want the gimmicks back from the late 80's, early 90's cause they were riddicoulus, and almost always a stereotype. But something current and relevant, like the attitude era (good old days i know). But their gimmicks spoke to the people of that time, with the bikers and the raw outfits and the stick it to the man attitude. We need that back, cause crowds cant get behind a wrestler if hes identical to his opponent in every way.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I like that the WWE is starting to bring in more youth and try to build on the future of the company but as you have said they all look the same. I would love to have more wrestlers with an actual character other than a tatted up guy wearing man panties. But when most of your new stars are coming from a "game show" like NXT its hard for them to have a character because they havnt had time to develop their character in the ring.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.