Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What should they do with the guy? How do they build him up and keep him hot? Lesnar not being there is hurting the main event of Mania AGAIN. I don't even know how to go about booking the guy for the next 2 months. I feel like he needs a mini-feud of sorts that ends with a brutal Lesnar attack or something. Rollins is involved with KO/Joe and there are only so many jobbers that he can run through. What does he even do at EC?

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should be someone big, close to Brock size. They don't have to be over, necessarily.

A short Lashley feud would be nice. People would love Drew stopping Lashley and Lana being a thing.
I guess that would be the best bet. I don't see who else he can feud with until the end of March when Lesnar decides to show up. Once he defeats Lashley, Lesnar can pounce.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yeah, his promos are getting more and more generic. I'm not a huge fan of the guy but they are doing all the wrong things with him..as usual. He could be a huge star if handled correctly. Black was the right choice to win the Rumble and beat Brock for sure..

Anyway, without Brock there the build up will be underwhelming. It's simple. Have him beat whoever, doesn't matter, he needs to go toe to toe with Lesnar to build the match.

·
Registered
219 Posts
They need to have a new Paul hayman guy that Paul hires to take Drew out or to at least weaken him.

Have that culminate with a match where Drew puts his title opportunity on the line and Brock emerges to try screw Drew so that the other guy wins but Drew somehow overcomes it.

They need someone at least around the size of Drew. if Orton wasn’t in a program with Edge he would have been the perfect opponent trying to kill Drew so that he gets the title shot instead .

Besides Randy the only other option would be Seth as he has already beaten Brock and is a heel so him trying to take Drew out to get the main event would also make sense storyline wise.

It’s the only way to keep the thing going without loosing steam but they are too dumb to be creative and Brock doesn’t give 2 shits so he won’t be putting any effort in this either

·
Team AEW
2,920 Posts
Yeah, his promos are getting more and more generic. I'm not a huge fan of the guy but they are doing all the wrong things with him..as usual. He could be a huge star if handled correctly. Black was the right choice to win the Rumble and beat Brock for sure..

Anyway, without Brock there the build up will be underwhelming. It's simple. Have him beat whoever, doesn't matter, he needs to go toe to toe with Lesnar to build the match.
Well, they aren't doing ALL the wrong things. They just gave him a new, pretty badass shirt. They give him more mictime, they give him quick wins. These are all the right things. Now, the promo material could've been better, but that's WWE, they never book a good promo material, and the talent never gets to choose what to say and what not. We've heard it in numerous interviews over the years, latest example I think is Jon Moxley, he told that there's a CONSTANT fight with Vince about some words in a promo and stuff like this, it just tiresome, so a lot of folks just say what they are scripted to say.

He's cheesy, yeah, but I think they just go for a more friendly persona so people could relate. But when he gets serious - he really gets serious. He is still intense, when he needs to be. Of course he jokes around with the geeks, but when it comes to Brock, he's dead serious. I actually like that he has different sides of his character, just don't go overboard with it. I hope people don't think that when the actual feud starts (after Saudi show, or Chamber, or whenever), the jokes will dominate, I don't believe that's going to happen. Brock needs to be on the shows more, you're right about that, and come next month, I think he'll be there. Especially if they intend this match to be the main event.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Well, they aren't doing ALL the wrong things. They just gave him a new, pretty badass shirt. They give him more mictime, they give him quick wins. These are all the right things. Now, the promo material could've been better, but that's WWE, they never book a good promo material, and the talent never gets to choose what to say and what not. We've heard it in numerous interviews over the years, latest example I think is Jon Moxley, he told that there's a CONSTANT fight with Vince about some words in a promo and stuff like this, it just tiresome, so a lot of folks just say what they are scripted to say.

He's cheesy, yeah, but I think they just go for a more friendly persona so people could relate. But when he gets serious - he really gets serious. He is still intense, when he needs to be. Of course he jokes around with the geeks, but when it comes to Brock, he's dead serious. I actually like that he has different sides of his character, just don't go overboard with it. I hope people don't think that when the actual feud starts (after Saudi show, or Chamber, or whenever), the jokes will dominate, I don't believe that's going to happen. Brock needs to be on the shows more, you're right about that, and come next month, I think he'll be there. Especially if they intend this match to be the main event.
You are right. It's funny, Drew is not one of my favorites but I KNOW he is a star in the making and I hope I'm right. The guy can pretty much do it all, I didn't enjoy his heel run because his promos were monotonous and he never backed them up (booking, obviously) he's better as a Face. His role is a badass Face, not a pandering, "good guy' hopefully they stick with that. We will see.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
It’s hard to guess whether the crowd before and at ‘mania will:

• cheer him
  • become ambivalent towards him
  • or turn on him.
I have no idea which way it’ll go, so that makes it kind of interesting.

I don’t mind his promos because I expect that from any top babyface in WWE. He does the cheesy stuff better than Roman, but not as good as Cena

·
Premium Member
11,921 Posts
I like Drew but I agree he's in dangerous territory right now. They need to protect him but if he gets an easy ride to WrestleMania the crowd will turn on him.

·
Team AEW
2,920 Posts
He's getting annoying trying to be a cool tweener. Have him come out, destroy people and leave.
Nah, he's not a tweener. The thing about his gimmick is - nowadays, everybody needs to be "relatable", or whatever. You can't just be someone like Austin: enter, kick ass, leave. There's a different kind of connection with the audience these days, it's PG, there's a lot of casual women and kids. Ideally, the aim is to target all of them, so you'll take money out of their pockets. Look, he played the Terminator gimmick, and gained nothing out of it. Now he's got another chance, and look at that - he's suddenly over. He's still a badass, though. You saw it tonight, he joked around, was in a good mood, but when it was time to be angry - he showed the needed amount of intensity and kicked the shit out of his opponent. I think the gimmick works really well, actually. He kills 2 birds with 1 stone. First he is being friendly with audience, so when he beats somebody - they actually care. Good stuff, imo.

They're trying. He was getting crickets as a badass heel and at least as a pandering face hes getting some crowd reaction, but he still doesnt feel like the guy who should be challenging Lesnar at a Wrestlemania.
What would you do here if you'd be in Heyman's place? What will make him a competent challenger to Brock in your opinion?

·
Registered
219 Posts
In an ideal world he would have a mini feud with the IC title holder and win the title- currently I don’t even know who is holding it that’s how irrelevant it feels.

Have Drew win it and hold it until a few weeks before Mania. He can play the gimmick of a fighting champion throwing jabs at abscent Lesnar that he is being the Champion Lesnar never was.

Have him have some open challenges where he fights different guys every week until about 2-3 weeks before mania where Brock comes and interferes causing Drew to lose the title and adding a lot of fuel into the feud.

From that point on they can start the real feud- brawls , bear downs etc.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You know I was pondering something that could be suicide or it could be something to keep the buzz going. Brock’s a Heyman guy, right? Well remember who proclaimed Drew a future champion yadda yadda (I was only half watching at the time so forget the specifics)? As soon as the start of his theme hits and you get that walk the crowd drink it up, so why not have Vince have a spot proclaiming Drew his guy at some point?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts