Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not surprised that WWE would hire someone this painful to listen to. Does anyone here like him? I never thought I'd miss Joey styles and Josh matthews as much as I do when I hear this guy.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,731 Posts
There's 2 ways to do play-by-play in wrestling, you can either call every move, translating the action from a visual medium to a sonic medium, or you can focus on telling the story of the in-ring action and the characters backstories. Mauro excels at the former and marks love him for it because he makes it feel like a real sport. Young Boy Tom excels at the latter, he gets over stories and characters but he doesn't know what the fuck an omoplata is.

I never understood having traditional sports style play-by-play in wrestling since it's not a sport you can listen to on the radio so you don't need the commentary team to paint a picture of the action for you.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,841 Posts
He has a crisp, clean way of calling things, rarely makes verbal missteps, and is basically the prototypical straight man in the booth. Nothing remarkable, but definitely a useful piece.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hes fucking horrible. At least I cant get past his voice and the zero emotion he puts in his commentating. Hes the perfect example of a generic robot.

·
Southern Pride
3,229 Posts
Tom Philips is okay. He is just a product of WWEs style of doing things. I'd rather listen to him any day over Josh Mathews in 2020.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts