Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remembered me and my dad watching ultimate warrior, bret hart, hulk hogan,yokozuna and undertaker with me. He even got me that wwf toy ring and wwf action figures to play with and it was a great childhood memory of mine. Wrestling was on prime time free tv on saturdays here in singapore at 7pm and we got the PPVs on air.

However, once the attitude era kicked in i was around 7-8 years old. Protests came in and wrestling got pushed to past 11pm and eventually went to just cable. We only got WWE afterburn and velocity at 12am. My dad and uncles started to ban me and my cousins/siblings from watching. But of course we would sneakily watch afterburn and velocity together at 12am with the volume turned way low. Everyone at school played the raw deal trading card game and we all saved money to get the WWF dvds and the most popular guy in class was the guy with the WWF Smackdown PS 1 game.

On hindsight I understand why my dad banned me. I mean the sable stuff was pretty strong for an 8 year old but of course once you ban something the more kids want something. I can totally understand Vinces desire to go PG but 2017 kids are more exposed than ever.

Curious to hear from this forum about their experiences.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was older, in my teens, so we watched it. My dad thought it was hilarious. My mom tolerated it because sitting and watching it was pretty much the only time my younger brothers and I got along and interacted with each other.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
I wouldn't know, I was born around then. But what I do know from asking my parents, uncles and grandfathers is that they weren't really that into it. One of my uncles could list a lot of the wrestlers pre attitude era and in the golden age, but could barely list the attitude era wrestlers. My father also used to watch Hogan, superfly, Piper but barely knew anyone post that and he isn't even that old. I think my country in general wasn't a fan of the thrashy Attitude era style tv. My mother knows it as this thrashy form of enterntainment which possibly comes from the stigma the Attitude era has over here.

·
Baby It's Violence
8,708 Posts
My father loved it and watched it constantly, flipping between Nitro and Raw if I remember (I was pretty young at the time). He's always been a huge fan of wrestling in general, he grew up watching stuff in the territories in the 70s and 80s, and apparently a family member of mine was actually a pretty big time promoter in New York who let him and my uncle sit on a lot of different shows.

I remember doing the middle finger thing Stone Cold did when I was really young, like 7 or so, and getting yelled at, but in a more laughing matter because he thought it was pretty hilarious at the time :lol

Reactions: Saturn and lagofala

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
My dad got me into it lol so he seemed to really enjoy it. His favorite was Bret Hart and taker as well, I remember the first time watching wrestling with him HHH was on the screen, so I know my dad enjoyed it, and my grandma would watch it once in awhile as well.

So I think he enjoyed the attitude era quite a bit.

·
Banned
1,315 Posts
It led to a house divided as my dad would watch Nitro and I would watch RAW. Would still record Nitro and watch it later but had to see RAW live.

·
Registered
17,556 Posts
Raised by my gran. She loved the AE and watched Smackdown with me on Saturday mornings and the PPvs. When I go and see her she literally remembers everybody! But now she says the current roster look like "basic bitches'.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
21,165 Posts
My dad has never really liked wrestling so he never watched but me, my brothers and my mum would watch Raw on Friday nights.

That's when it aired in the UK, was never live like it is now

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
My dad was a very old school wrestling fan, he hated the Attitude Era. My dad grew up with British wrestling in the 70 and early 80's so he preferred the more traditional style. My dad would moan constantly at the long promos, "All these Americans to is talk" he would say :p

I remembered my mum saying how silly it looked, but outside of that I don't think she cared, she never really watched it herself.

·
Registered
32,262 Posts
My mom thought shit like the Sable vs Jaqueline, Godfather, and Val Venis weren't for me. I could watch as much WCW as I wanted, WWF not so much lol. Lucky for me she never seen the Nitro girls

·
Registered
11,965 Posts
I lived with my mom growing up but my mom enjoyed it and didn't stop me or my brother from watching it, and in fact we constantly had friends over every time there was a pay per view on.

·
Registered
959 Posts
me and my dad watched nitro and later raw together. he was in his early 40s, i was in my mid to late teens.

my mom thought it was kinda retarded, she liked 60s and 70s rasslin' when it "was real".

oh mom...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.