Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Narcissist/Perfect was easily the match I was most excited about. Narcissist was my guy and WWF was airing those epic Mr. Perfect vignettes.

Also had interest in Crush/Doink and Undertaker/Gonzalez.

Money Inc. vs. Mega-Maniacs was well-built with IRS in particular being a fabulous dickhead but I was dreading the outcome because Hogan.

Had zero interest in the midcard world title match that was Bret/Yoko. It didn't feel like a Wrestlemania main event. Bret didn't feel like a WWF champion. And Yoko was still a noob.

Nor did I have any interest in the matches I haven't already mentioned.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
From just finishing watching it today, I think the problem of the finish was that it was too much of a HeelMania, with some very poor finishes...
- Michaels/Tatanka & Money Inc/Hogan-Beefcake:
Those two matches could've had a DQ finish, but not both of them, 3 in one night, especially WrestleMania is not on. Honestly, I reckon they should've just given HBK a pin-fall victory and had a dirty finish in the Tag Titles match where the briefcase was used to get the pin on Beefcake, they could've done the ring clear-out and Hogan poses regardless. - Mind saying that, if there was a dirty finish in the Tag Titles match it may have meant changing the end of the Luger/Perfect match.
- 'Taker/Giant:
This one I suppose could've stayed as a DQ because I don't know how that Giant Gonzalez bloke could've been pinned, but they should've done something better than bastard chloroform, mind.
- Bret/Yoko & Yoko/Hogan:
I guess I get the whole "It's WrestleMania we need a face winning so everyone can go home happy whoop whoop!!" shite, but for them to lessen the credibility of someone in Yokozuna who they then went on to defeat people like Luger and 'Taker, albeit uncleanly, really made everyone look weak. They could've just had Bret win and do some angle involving him, Yokozuna and Hogan later on up to WrestleMania X imo, but hindsight's a wonderful thing at the end of the day, isn't it?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I remember it feeling very weird. Yokozuna was such a random seeming choice for a main eventer. Although, it actually kind of made sense in the build for Mega Maniacs vs Money Inc. to go last, since that's what Hogan always did anyway. Obviously, no one saw the Hogan ending coming.

I really thought that the Mega Maniacs were going to win the tag team titles so Hogan could a step back for Bret, like he should have at this time in the WWF.

My best guess heading into it was that Bret-Yoko was going to be a low stakes Andre match for Bret, where he conquers a giant to establish himself as the main guy in the WWF and then he'd continue down the line of challengers until he came across someone worthy.

The match I was looking forward to the most, though, was Perfect vs Lex. I thought this was actually a pretty good feud and Mr. Perfect as a babyface was still fresh at this point, and it really felt like he had some real main event potential here as a second to Bret. Same thing goes for Lex, who had a gimmick that was working for him at the time.

I was kind of looking forward to Crush getting his revenge on Doink and the Steiner Brothers making their WrestleMania debuts, but the rest of the card was just sort of there.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Yeah I was looking toward Luger vs. Perfect too. For some reason I was expecting some huge stadium show lol. It was still a nice visual though. It felt more like an All-Star Game then World Series though. I also looked forward to the Stieners match. Anyone remember that Hogan video package where the narration said Hogan "sold out more arenas than Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, and Sugar Ray combined"? For some reason I always marked for that the way he was promoted as being on those guys legendary level.

I have tried to look for it online and could never find it. It's the same way I remember hearing either Piper or Monsoon telling both Bret and HBK that their ironman match as going to be 60 minutes no matter what win, lose, or draw.

Then Bret loses in overtime lol. I always thought that in ring interview segment was going to be brought up by Hart. It never did and now I wonder if I remembered it correctly as I haven't been able to find that online either lol.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
I remember being very excited for Wrestlemania coming to my hometown. The build-up for it was great.

Tatanka had gotten a few wins over Michaels and with his undefeated streak, it made you believe HBK's time as the Intercontinental Champion was coming to an end.

The Steiners having their first Wrestlemania match.

Crush trying to get revenge on the clown for costing him a shot at the WWF title.

Razor Ramon being a jerk and that Bob Backlund, who I thought was a stand up guy and didn't know was a former WWF Champion, would teach him a lesson.

Hulk Hogan making his return to help his friend, Brutus Beefcake, and win the tag team titles.

Mr. Perfect taking this Narcissist guy to school.

The Undertaker taking on his biggest challenge yet with Gonzales. I had no idea on Earth how he was going to beat him.

And Bret Hart having the odds against him against the unstoppable Yokozuna.
It had a good card going in and with the right booking (Hart retaining, Hogan / Beefcake win the tag team titles, and Tatanka wins the Intercontinental title) and more time given for matches (Backlund / Ramon, Perfect / Luger), it could've been a great Wrestlemania instead of being the first Part 1 Wrestlemania. Randy Savage also should've been on the card.

- Vic

·
Registered
175 Posts
It felt way too Hulk oriented. I had moved on from Hogan, and think most of the audience had as well. Hulk still hadn't wrestled a match, and was suddenly being made into the main event.

The '93 was the first Royal Rumble where they explicitly stated the winner would recieve a title shot at Wrestlemania. Yoko got the win, but an actual feud with Hart never really developed. Bret was being booked as a fighting champion, taking all comers. Yoko seemed like another name in the myriad of different types of opponents Hart had beated.

I don't recall any of the other matches catching much attention, aside from Undertaker and his battle with a monster du jour.

Turned out to be a flop in my mind. Undertaker's beloved streak is sullied by a lame DQ victory here. Luger-Perfect didn't have great chemistry. They put the belt on Hogan, but he basically took his ball and went home. The best thing to come out of it, in my opinion, is Bret Hart's year long quest to regain the title - KOTR win, Rumble win, Wrestlemania X.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
i dont like having the main event as 2 first-time main eventers. Everyone in the world knows that Wrestlemania 9 had to be Bret vs Hogan, Bret vs Savage, or if you reallllly want to get this Yoko guy over, Yoko vs Hogan (with Yoko winning....and then Bret beating him later on, making Bret look great)

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I was very dissapointed at the time, for several reasons, it just did not feel like a Wrestlemania since Hogan was nt invovled in the main event.

First of all, I saw Bret as a mid carder, and Yokozuna as a big fat chickenshit heel. I watched WCW at the time and Vader owned Yokozuna big time

Hogan Hogan in mid card competing for the tag titles was beneath him, and I still Think this to this day. The Steiner Brothers should have gotten the title shot instead.

Bam Bam Bigelow was left out in favor of Doink, I hated the clown.

Bob Backlund should never have competed against Ramon, they could easilly have paired Ramon against Crush instead

WWE should have saved Mr Perfect vs Ric Flair for WM and not waste it on a RAW.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know why people felt weird about Yoko main eventing, he was crushing people from late 92-WM

And Bret was obviously the face of WWF that year as well.

Bret/Yoko and Luger/Perfect were the only matches I was looking forward to.

I was a big heel (92-94) HBK mark, but I hated Tatanka.

Still a big Hogan fan at the point (especially because you rarely saw Hogan outside of PPVs after 1990), but wasn't interested in him teaming with Beefcake (who I hated).

Reactions: promoter2003

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was very dissapointed at the time, for several reasons, it just did not feel like a Wrestlemania since Hogan was nt invovled in the main event.

First of all, I saw Bret as a mid carder, and Yokozuna as a big fat chickenshit heel. I watched WCW at the time and Vader owned Yokozuna big time

Hogan Hogan in mid card competing for the tag titles was beneath him, and I still Think this to this day. The Steiner Brothers should have gotten the title shot instead.

Bam Bam Bigelow was left out in favor of Doink, I hated the clown.

Bob Backlund should never have competed against Ramon, they could easilly have paired Ramon against Crush instead

WWE should have saved Mr Perfect vs Ric Flair for WM and not waste it on a RAW.
Agreed the Loser Leaves WWF match should have been here if Flair's contract could have been extended to here. Moreover, if the British Bulldog could have been kept around this long as well, this might have been the better place to have him drop the Intercontinental title to Shawn. Meanwhile, I'd have to agree with those who've said Bigelow would have been a better option for the Undertaker's third victim; he was athletic enough to make a challenging foe for Mark Calloway.

As for the main event, I'm of the school of having Savage hold the title till that point and drop it to Bret in an epic face on face encounter that probably would have been one for the ages. That would have instantly elevated Bret in the eyes of the naysayers--and given Savage's intense disdain for Hulk, arguably then close to its peak, he would have gone the extra mile to make sure he'd stay with his initially-agreed parameters at the event, even with his fists (if, as some theorize, he didn't before the event anyway).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts