Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking back, despite having some soap opera-ish moments and long, boring promos, they were entertaining as hell for me as an 11 year old. WWE attempted to recreate the story arc with La Familia in 2008 and The Authority in 2013, but neither were nearly as good.

· Butter My Arse
16,424 Posts
I thought it was alright. The Steph heel turn at Armageddon was a typical SWERVE but I thought it made sense in the end.

The faction itself made sense, with Triple H moving away from his adolescent DX phase and turning into a serious force, although I think it would have made things a lot more legit if Road Dogg and X-Pac abandoned their DX colours and became more serious as well. Retain the ring names but adopt new attitudes. Nobody cared about DX in 2000.

The MHF worked because while Triple H was being treated as the top heel, Steph at least allowed herself to look vulnerable. The Authority sucked because Steph got away with murder and she was untouchable, and the top heel of the group was treated like dirt.

Once Steph started to get her dirty fingers into the writing pie, creating love triangles and shit, then it started to turn rotten.

· Registered
6,703 Posts
That time period was a great time to be a fan. I’ll always remember talking about wrestling with people at school every day (the days when all the cool kids watched wrestling). However, I wasn’t so hot about McMahon / Hemsley. They would get too much tv time, cutting 30 minute promos to start a show, and HHH won a few matches that he probably shouldn’t have (eg Wrestlemania 2000, Fully Loaded 2000)

518 Posts
This was the first sign of WW(F)E going to shit. This was right after Russo/Ferrera bounced up outta that motherfucker and things were never the same again. I've always been of the opinion that the start/end of the Attitude Era was actually Survivor Series 1997 to Survivor Series 1999. Started with the screwjob, ended with Austin being run over. Nothing was the same before or after.

· Registered
2,970 Posts
It brought new life into the show. The product wasn't good from May 99 to the end of the year. Vince sucked as a face, HHH's push was flopping, Austin was too banged up, Taker was in need of a reset, and Russo's booking destroyed the mid cards. Rock was really the only thing saving it.

HHH's long promos were a bit of a bore but with the addition of Stephanie they got his run over. Then you add in Angle, Jericho and the Radicals and 2000 ended up being a very strong year for the company.

· Registered
2,680 Posts
It was an entertaining storyline, and served it's purpose of getting Stephanie McMahon over as a heel, and establishing HHH as the top heel of the industry. It also served as a perfect foil for wrestlers like The Rock and Mick Foley initially, and later helped establish Jericho and Angle as legitimate contenders for the WWE title. I just wish the angle ended sooner than it did.

· Registered
591 Posts
As with The Authority, Stephanie's heel work carried Triple H and actually got him heat. It was a good era, mostly because The Rock got to prove himself as the face that everyone knew he was, Mick Foley got one of the best send-offs and Jericho got over as a face after a debut that barely worked. As a whole, it was a success.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts