Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Could have been world champ, should have been world champ in that era. If they could make charisma vacuums Sheamus, Del Rio, and Swagger WWE/World Champions, someone as charismatic as MVP absolutely deserved a shot.

The Playmaker finisher was a bad one, but it was better when he stuck with the Drive By boot. It's unfortunate that the in-ring highlight of his WWE run (and where he could have broke through) was the Benoit feud. Benoit died right after feuding with MVP, and because of that WWE were never able to reference some of his great matches, and where he won his first championship in WWE.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
I was never a fan of MVP. I didn't like the character, the storylines he was involved in, his moveset, his music, pretty much anything. I didn't hate the dude himself, but I just wasn't a fan of his. When I see people saying he could've/should've been world champ, I find that to be crazy. I don't know if people are saying that because they're wearing rose tinted glasses or because today's WWE is hot garbage but I just can't agree with that mindset.

·
Registered
195 Posts
He was averagely average in the ring. Had good matches with Chris Benoit, but that's nothing to hang your hat on, everyone had good matches with Benoit.

He was a pretty good promo - not top level but on the higher end of the mid card pack.

The gimmick was a good idea, problem was, you look at the guys it was modelled on at the time, various football players and boxers like Floyd Mayweather, they were cocky and hateable but also so impressive physically you had to admire them. In MVP you had a not particularly athletic guy, who did nothing visually impressive, who looked pudgy compared to how many jacked guys were around at the time, wearing an awful costume and wearing some fake looking diamonds. I've sometimes though if you combined Shelton Benjamins physique and ability to do great, athletic moves and MVP's gimmick and promo ability, you actually would have someone who could have been a main eventer, but as it was they both lacked something and the IC level was where they belonged.

But, yeah, lets not stop the "should been a champ doe, held back coz he iz black doe, Rock doesn't count as a black world champ because he's half black, but MVP would have even though he's only half black doe" from the usual geek squad.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,008 Posts
Terrible at first but improved admirably, feud with Matt was highly entertaining and I liked the overpaid star athlete gimmick. Unfortunately he was an awful babyface. :lol

I remember reading that the ill-conceived attire was to cover up his Malcolm X tattoo, can anyone verify?

·
glock lesnar
468 Posts
I thought he was in a group that should’ve been World Champions around that time with Kennedy and Carlito. MVP had it all: the swagger, the mic skills, the ring skills, the sick entrance/song, the guy was gold.

“TROPICANA, I GOT THE JUICE..”
:lenny

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
boring as a wrestler. I could talk about in ring or his look or anything else but there is no point. he was just boring to me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
He was pretty good, but his gimmick was too mid-cardish to be a main eventer.

One thing I thought was ridiculous was how so many people in the IWC wanted either MVP or Mr. Kennedy to retire Ric Flair. If that had happened, then it would have gone down forever that Ric Flair was retired by someone who didn't pan out in the long run. Shawn Michaels was a proven star, he was the right choice.

·
All good things must come to an end.
14,025 Posts
Excellent Midcard talent. Probably could/should have held a World Title if they built him up. If Mahal can hold it, MVP sure can.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
MVP was suppose to be just good mid carder back then, but looking at all the tools he had, charisma, mic skills, look and a great heel character.

Peak MVP is better than 95% of the current main event roster, yes you can not tell me 2007 MVP wasn't then thousand than better than current Seth Rollins or Kofi Kingston. Basically a midcarder back then, is more than a main eventer today.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
He was pretty good, but his gimmick was too mid-cardish to be a main eventer.

One thing I thought was ridiculous was how so many people in the IWC wanted either MVP or Mr. Kennedy to retire Ric Flair. If that had happened, then it would have gone down forever that Ric Flair was retired by someone who didn't pan out in the long run. Shawn Michaels was a proven star, he was the right choice.
That's easy to say now in hindsight. But back in 2006-2007, Kennedy seemed like a future world champion and legend. He was getting pushed hard. Go like 3 wins over Undertaker and also won the MITB.

MVP was suppose to be just good mid carder back then, but looking at all the tools he had, charisma, mic skills, look and a great heel character.

Peak MVP is better than 95% of the current main event roster, yes you can not tell me 2007 MVP wasn't then thousand than better than current Seth Rollins or Kofi Kingston. Basically a midcarder back then, is more than a main eventer today.
Yeah, it's crazy how back then, someone like MVP or Carlito winning a world title seemed like a nearly impossible task; but if both men had debuted in 2012 they'd have been multiple time world champions by now. Then again, they were around at a time where it seemed like WWE didn't micromanage everything yet. They debuted pre-Benoit and when WWE was still TV-14. Who knows how much freedom they'd have today and if they'd get similar characters, even. Carlito's "Do You Spit or Swallow" t-shirt would have never been greenlighted today.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts