Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the summer of 2006, this guy who's ring name was Montel Vontavious Porter debuted. His name was a bit too long and messy, so he was motly referred to as MVP, which were the initials of his name and also the acronym for Most Valuable Player. Quite clever, tbh.

First couple of times I saw him, I was indifferent. He didn't seem like a wrestler but more like an agent or a basketball player sitting in attendance who happened to be allowed backstage of a WWE event. And when I first saw him wrestle his ring gear made me raise my eyebrow. Sure, he was decent in the ring but I kept thinking "Why does this guy look like a Power Ranger?!"

...BUT, I dunno when exactly, but he seemed to quickly befriend Ken Kennedy kayfabe-wise and both became a tag team. I was a fan of Kennedy and MVP also began growing on me. The guy was solid in the ring, and his mic skills, while not loud like Kennedy's, seemed quite decent. I dunno what it was about MVP, but he had something that around 2010-2012 would be called "swag" by people under 25. I remember people comparing him to The Rock online sometimes.

I found MVP to be a pretty good US Champion. That title fit him well. He was already not too young when he debuted, so eventually I realised he'd never be a world champion, but he was definitely a solid upper mid-carder.

I didn't watch much of his tag team with Mark Henry since I took a sabbatical from WWE around early-2008 and only came back in late 2010. It seemed like an over enough tag team, though.

As silly as his Power Rangers like outfit was, fact is, I quickly overlooked it. Some people can just pull off weird looking attires. Asuka is a prime example of that too. I dunno what it was about MVP, but he definitely had charisma and legitimate enough for me to buy as a wrestler. He wasn't just another boring generic charismatic-less geek like you see so much these days.

It's strange because MVP wouldn't even enter a top 10 favourite list of mine and I don't think he was particularly great in the mic or the ring. He was simply "pretty solid". He knew his part and always did it well with the cards he was handed to. If he had debuted a few years later he probably would have won a world title. I mean, would he be more of a flop as a world champion than Sheamus, Del Rio or Swagger? I SERIOUSLY doubt.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Pretty underrated to be honest, was a great wrestler, great talker and very charismatic, isn't bad looking (no homo). Probably should have won a World Title. They missed that opportunity.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I can't say that I really saw much of his stuff tbh because he showed up around the time I really started to move away from wrestling. I remember the inferno match with kane but thats about it.

from what I remember I just found him to be pretty generic and I always hated his attire.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I thought he was decent but had potential to be so much more. Most times when I think back all that comes to mind is a flashy entrance and a catchphrase.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Loved his theme song

"I'm Cumming"
I'm cumming!
Nobody could stop me, nobody could hold me, ain't nobody control me.
I'm cumming!
I'm here to do my thing, I'm here to bring the pain, I'm never ever gonna change!
I'm cumming!
Nobody could stop me, nobody could hold me, ain't nobody control me.
I'm cumming!
I'm here to do my thing, I'm here to bring the pain, I'm never ever gonna change!

Sounded like a damn predator confession.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
WWE screwed him over big time. Other than that program with Benoit never was given an opportunity to succeed. The booking totally fucked him like it tends do with most of the wrestlers that were his shade. Im sure that was just a coincidence though.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Thought he was garbage at first.

But he won me over real quick. Liked the Benoit feud and loved the Matt Hardy feud. He was solid in the ring, good on the mic (I distinctly remember the time he outdueled Michael f'n Hayes on the mic), had charisma, and a unique look.

Definitely in my Fave Five for 2007. I thought he and John Morrison were the future of the company.

Boy was I wrong.

·
Pissing in the Mainstream
1,666 Posts
I wasn't too big on him in the WWE, but he had a podcast a few years ago on the MLW radio network and I was a huge fan of that show. Him and Ex Smackdown writer Alex Greenfield did a show once a week and MVP told some great stories both wrestling and personal life during those shows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
He said earlier this year on the E&C podcast that they were talking of plans for a world title run, but he had a ceiling on him due to his time in prison. This affected overseas tours and everything else that comes with a world champion.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I liked him as a decent midcard wrestler. He wasn’t an amazing worker or talent but he was pretty good. Would’ve liked to see him come back at some point but he never did.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts