Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, WWE PPV buys have decreasing and decreasing for years now. When they have a nice angle they're working on, that is leading up to a PPV, they sometimes get good numbers, but usually, the numbers are pretty sorry. I mean, Summerslam 10 years ago used to get 700,000-800,000 buys, and now, with one of the hottest angles in years, they were happy with 300,000 buys. That's a HUGE drop for just a 10 year period. Usually PPV get 200-300k buys, which sucks because one-branded PPVs used to get more than that just 5 or 6 years ago. Apparently the bad economy is hurting them, but what else could WWE do to increase their PPV Revenue? I read in an article that WWE has to get around 120,000 buys just to BREAK EVEN, and when they get 200,000 or less, they're not making much profit. So, what do ya think??

1) Lower the prices
. This is a no brainer. I think it's like $45 a PPV. That's way too much. Very few people will spend that on a 3hr WWE PPV, which is why they have the bad PPV numbers. 10 years ago, when they getting awesome numbers, the PPVs were much cheaper, I'm sure that had something to do with the high amount of PPV buys. Make the PPVs $29.99-$39.99. I would rather have it at $29.99, but they just need to lower it.

2) Online WWE.com Live Stream. I know they have this, but it's so damn dumb because it also costs $45. If I was going to order a PPV, why would I want to watch it online, if it will cost me the same as watching it on the TV? Halve the price or something. Make it $24.99 to watch it on WWE.com, and $34.99 to watch it on TV. It's a much better system.

3) Put focus on ALL the matches. I'm sure people don't want to spend almost $50 on just one or two matches. When they see the card, they'll be more tempted to buy the PPV if the WHOLE card has a storyline and/or a good match associated with it. No one would spend $50 when they know that they'll be bored for 75% of the PPV. Of course.

So, what else ya got? I think my options were pretty good.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Your three options are the same ones that come to mind for me. The building of the mid-card is a HUGE factor, the last 3 PPV's I will admit I did not pay for, simply because I only wanted to see the main event... which all three were C.M Punk. Three PPV's and all I gave a shit about was what was happening with Punk.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I used to buy them a lot back when they went for $24.99-$29.99. So far I've only bought 1 at the $49.99 rate (WM 20) and was pretty satisfied with getting what I payed for. The fact is though, they ppv match line-ups rarely have more that 1-2 matches that I'm the least interested in anymore, and I can't justify spending that kind of money for what they're throwing at us these days. If they went back to the $29.99 price, I'd be a lot more likely to take the chance on it being a bust show overall.

·
Registered
22,764 Posts
Cut down the number of PPVs so people will have enough money for the ones that are left
Build the midcard
Give a little bit more variety with the main event

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
1) Fewer PPV calibre matches on TV. People see John Cena, CM Punk, Randy Orton etc wrestle the other main stars, sometimes each other, on TV every week. Why pay $44.95 in this economy when you can see Punk vs. Cena on Raw two weeks after the PPV? Hell, they even book the majority of title changes on TV. It's not like they are stopping the ratings decline.

2) A maximum of one PPV every six weeks.

3) 3 for 2 offers on non-big 4 events.

4) Free T-shirt, DVD, action figure etc with every purchase.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Cut down the number of PPVs so people will have enough money for the ones that are left
Build the midcard
Give a little bit more variety with the main event
Hadn't thought of that when I posted, but that would be a big one. Right now, there's so many PPV's, they don't feel special anymore. Back when WM was the only ppv, you'd want to buy it because you knew something special would happen, and because there were matches in it that you wouldn't see any other time. When they added some new ppv's to the line up it was still a good thing, because they brought different match types, such as Royal Rumble match, or the elimination matches at Survivor Series. Now there's so many, everything just kind of blends together, and half the time the matches end up as rematches of the same people who fought at the previous PPV.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) Fewer PPV calibre matches on TV. People see John Cena, CM Punk, Randy Orton etc wrestle the other main stars, sometimes each other, on TV every week. Why pay $44.95 in this economy when you can see Punk vs. Cena on Raw two weeks after the PPV? Hell, they even book the majority of title changes on TV. It's not like they are stopping the ratings decline.

2) A maximum of one PPV every six weeks.

3) 3 for 2 offers on non-big 4 events.

4) Free T-shirt, DVD, action figure etc with every purchase.
You got some very good ones here.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
2) Online WWE.com Live Stream. I know they have this, but it's so damn dumb because it also costs $45. If I was going to order a PPV, why would I want to watch it online, if it will cost me the same as watching it on the TV? Halve the price or something. Make it $24.99 to watch it on WWE.com, and $34.99 to watch it on TV. It's a much better system.
This simply won't occur. I agree with you that $45 is excessive for an online stream of anything other than Tori Black's bedroom. However, WWE doesn't want to cannibalize its traditional PPV buyrates. Now that people can watch online streaming on their huge TV's via a PS3, XBox, or CPU hookup, so many people would opt for the cheaper version that WWE would lose money hand over fist.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quit having Cena and Orton in the title matches all-the-time. Isn't that obvious?!? :D
That would work the wrong way. If people won't pay to see Cena or Orton, they definitely won't pay to see anyone else.

·
Registered
516 Posts
This sounds bad but honestly fuck paying them. Lower the damn PPVs to $15 and the bigger ones to $30 and then I'll consider it. Paying $45-55 is way to fuckin' much. Why not have the In Your House PPVs or maybe even just have like a non-HD version that cost less? Until then I'll continue my free live streams.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Something I'm surprised WWE isn't doing:
Testing out different prices to get the most amount of money.

EX-Lets say right now they get 200,000 people at $45, that equals $9M. But if WWE found out that $35 would get them on average of 300,000 buys($10.5M),then they should really lower the price.

That's one of the main things that WWE is really behind in compared to most companies in north america. Most of those companies have strategies like that where they have people doing research to find out the best price to have their product at, WWE should be doing the same thing instead of increasing it.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something I'm surprised WWE isn't doing:
Testing out different prices to get the most amount of money.

EX-Lets say right now they get 200,000 people at $45, that equals $9M. But if WWE found out that $35 would get them on average of 300,000 buys($10.5M),then they should really lower the price.

That's one of the main things that WWE is really behind in compared to most companies in north america. Most of those companies have strategies like that where they have people doing research to find out the best price to have their product at, WWE should be doing the same thing instead of increasing it.
Lol that's funny cuz I opened a thread saying exactly something like that. I did those exact calculation too. But yeah, definitely agree though.

I sometimes find it hard to believe that they can actually sell 200,000 PPVs at almost 50 bucks apiece.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
First and foremost, ditch some of them, if they want one every month, just do one, HIAC's buyrate is going to suck because it's just two weeks after NOC and Vengance is later this month.

But most importantly, put focus on all the other matches, I might be alone here but I really liked the Brand Exclusive PPV's, I thought a lot of good came from it, it was easier to get people over just look at the Undertaker and John Cena's feud back in 2003, that really helped Cena a lot in my eyes, it was a great feud and I was really into Cena at the time because he was feuding with Taker. Today we could see Sheamus/Christian, Orton/Rhodes, Barrett/Bryan on SD cards instead of Bryan and Barrett getting the shaft, we could see Ziggler/Cena, Punk/Del Rio, Swagger/Morrison on Raw.

I don't think price is the big deal, there's thousands if not over a million people who are willing to pay for Floyd Mayweather/Manny Pacqiuao and UFC events, me being one of them, WWE just needs to give us more bang for our buck so to speak. Increase the quality of their shows, they'll increase their buys.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First and foremost, ditch some of them, if they want one every month, just do one, HIAC's buyrate is going to suck because it's just two weeks after NOC and Vengance is later this month.

But most importantly, put focus on all the other matches, I might be alone here but I really liked the Brand Exclusive PPV's, I thought a lot of good came from it, it was easier to get people over just look at the Undertaker and John Cena's feud back in 2003, that really helped Cena a lot in my eyes, it was a great feud and I was really into Cena at the time because he was feuding with Taker. Today we could see Sheamus/Christian, Orton/Rhodes, Barrett/Bryan on SD cards instead of Bryan and Barrett getting the shaft, we could see Ziggler/Cena, Punk/Del Rio, Swagger/Morrison on Raw.

I don't think price is the big deal, there's thousands if not over a million people who are willing to pay for Floyd Mayweather/Manny Pacqiuao and UFC events, me being one of them, WWE just needs to give us more bang for our buck so to speak. Increase the quality of their shows, they'll increase their buys.
One branded PPVs would also lead to more filler matches and feuds though. People don't want to pay for that.

As for UFC and boxing PPVs, most of the fans who order those PPVs, are adults, who get together, have pizza and beer, and 50 bucks a month isn't a big blow for a few grown men to split. And UFC and boxing has real fights also, you can't really compare it to WWE.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Lol that's funny cuz I opened a thread saying exactly something like that. I did those exact calculation too. But yeah, definitely agree though.

I sometimes find it hard to believe that they can actually sell 200,000 PPVs at almost 50 bucks apiece.
I've been stating that fact for a few years now,so I didn't get the idea from another thread

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
How about the WWE create stories and characters that we actually care about and give enough focus to more than just the main event, also there is simply no reason why we can't have PPV's at least 6 weeks apart

1 - 20 of 31 Posts