Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,319 Posts
aren't ruthless/pg era kinda intertwined since lesnar was to be the top guy when rock passed the torch but he left within 2 years and cena took over since brock and cena came out at the same time
Depends on the definition of an Era. There are more factors that come to play. The Chris Benoit incident and WWE going PG was a drastic change to the business, and played a huge factor in a making of the new Era. At that time, it didn't matter that the same guy was the face, the other factors were so drastic that the whole business changed and it created a new Era. Something we haven't seen since then.

It will change at Wrestlemania, i'm not saying Roman will conquer Brock to usher a new blissful environment where big bad Lesnar will finally disappear, but someone will take the reign( no pun) from Brock(..and Cena :jordan5)
I doubt Cena's gonna pass the torch to Reigns just like that. :cena5 My prediction says, at least three more years of Cena as the top guy. Reigns can always job after WM, just like many did to Cena, and just like Bryan vacated his title after winning it at WM without even trying to be the new face of the company.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
It will change at Wrestlemania, i'm not saying Roman will conquer Brock to usher a new blissful environment where big bad Lesnar will finally disappear, but someone will take the reign( no pun) from Brock(..and Cena :jordan5)
i hope so it needs to end soon come wm31 it will be the 10 year anniversary of john's 1st wwe title win:faint:

·
Banned
2,319 Posts
A change in general philosophy, a new direction / focus for the WWE or a new face of the company.
I just hope we don't hit the Directionless Era by 2019 :ti

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Depends on the definition of an Era. There are more factors that come to play. The Chris Benoit incident and WWE going PG was a drastic change to the business, and played a huge factor in a making of the new Era. At that time, it didn't matter that the same guy was the face, the other factors were so drastic that the whole business changed and it created a new Era. Something we haven't seen since then.

I doubt Cena's gonna pass the torch to Reigns just like that. :cena5 My prediction says, at least three more years of Cena as the top guy. Reigns can always job after WM, just like many did to Cena, and just like Bryan vacated his title after winning it at WM without even trying to be the new face of the company.
No not this time, everything fall right in place. 2014 has been more eventful than the last 3 years combined. Cena has 1 more year on the top at best, then he will slowing slide down. You have to add the fact he's already 15x champ, what you telling me in those 3 years you said, WWE will give more title run( 3 years on top means wwe championship reigns). So he will be like 23x world champ at least? :Jordan.

·
Being What's Best For Business
2,271 Posts
I believe that the changing of an era is when a groundbreaking moment happens. RA turned to PG when Raw went PG. PG turned to Reality on June 27th 2011, so on and so forth.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I believe that the changing of an era is when a groundbreaking moment happens. RA turned to PG when Raw went PG. PG turned to Reality on June 27th 2011, so on and so forth.
No lol, attitude era didn't began when Stone cold said the KOTR promo lol. It has be structural, or ensemble of thing.

Reactions: zeromaru

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I don't think it's really possible to define an era till it's clearly over. I don't think we'll be able to clearly identify what era we're in until years after the fact. Nobody really talked about the "Attitude Era" until maybe 2003? I mean, they were still running story lines like Katy Vick and doing hardcore matches? The Ruthless Aggression thing was a tag I only really read about after that Era was clearly over too.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I believe each era is divided up based on the Main Eventers that ran the scene. But also as media spreads more thought and memory is directed toward 1980 onward, with Hulkamania running wild all those years up until the New Gen. Bret, Shawn, Diesel. The Attitude Era with Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind, Triple H. I guess Undertaker is the exception to different Eras. Then Ruthless Aggression with Brock, Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, Angle, Batista, really a lot of big names. Then that wore off and became the PG Era with Cena, Edge, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan. So Wrestlers can transfer over into another era, but once some big names pop up that change the game, like Stone Cold, Cena, that's the dawning of an era.

Anyone remember "The Age of Orton"?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I don't think it's really possible to define an era till it's clearly over. I don't think we'll be able to clearly identify what era we're in until years after the fact. Nobody really talked about the "Attitude Era" until maybe 2003? I mean, they were still running story lines like Katy Vick and doing hardcore matches? The Ruthless Aggression thing was a tag I only really read about after that Era was clearly over too.
true

most people say attitude era ended at wm 17 but austin and rock were still on top and brock didn't get the torch passed to him till summer 2002

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
true

most people say attitude era ended at wm 17 but austin and rock were still on top and brock didn't get the torch passed to him till summer 2002
Yeah, I personally use WM17 as the end of the Attitude Era too but it didn't feel that way at the time. It took people a long time to get into the idea of a new Era at all. Many fans only started watching wrestling during the late 90's so they assumed that's just how it was always going to be. This Era stuff tends to mean less if you're old enough to have lived through many - you don't get so hung up on one in particular.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
When changes in the programming add up to the extent that it is a significantly different product overall. This current one is tricky because there hasn't been a particularly 'neat' end to the what is known as PG era. Partly because in the minds of some, that era only ends once the PG rating is scrapped (never happening) or when Cena is no longer the top dog, which doesn't make sense because he was that for a significant part of RA as well.

Also significantly because there was no neat and decisive date that is universally considered as the moment the PG era ended, not like there is for the end of the Attitude era for example. That's probably not something that will be agreed on for several years to come now since a lot of people point to how WWE went pretty same-old-shit after Summer of Punk passed. It became tangible around about the time Bryan had his rise to the top, so you kind of have to sketch out a tentative 2011-2013 time frame for when that era would have been considered over.
No lol, attitude era didn't began when Stone cold said the KOTR promo lol. It has be structural, or ensemble of thing.
Oh, that's actually a really brilliant point that draws yet another parallel between the two promos. Punk's shoot was similar to Austin 3:16 because they were a glimpse into the future of sorts, rather than a definitive start to the time.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I think time may show that the introduction of the Network and new logo may begin a new era...but if John Cena remains on top it's still very much the old guard.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts