Wrestling Forum banner

What CM Punk should've said.

1560 17
Alright. As you can see I'm a huge fan of revenge storylines, especially when the person exacting it is two years behind on his payback. CM Punk's whole feud with Randy Orton is based on the fact that Randy cost him the World Heavyweight Championship in 2008. Yes, we're all convinced of how awesome of a plotline it was that WWE could think 2+ years ahead when they could foresee this happening.

Seriously, there was a ton of material to work off of. Why was CM Punk's rationale so flawed? Why is the most (supposedly) intelligent and conniving heel in the WWE fed some of the most idiotic motivations to portray? This is what CM Punk should've said:

"They say you never forget your first love. Likewise, in this industry there's something else you don't quite forget: your first World Heavyweight Championship. None of you people know how hard I've worked, and to truly be recognized for it is beyond any fleshly pleasure that you people lust after.
"But my memory of that sacred moment is tainted... by the face of the Viper. September 7th 2008, the night of Unforgiven... Well, Randal, I'll never forgive and I'll never forget. You punted me in the skull and forced me to forfeit my title, and I wasn't ready to say goodbye, Randal. My spirit was broken that night. All my struggles gone to waste because of some rogue pariah.
"But that would be too easy, wouldn't it? It's what... you people would've done. Given up and cried yourselves to sleep each night, praying for a better future. But not me. I am CM Punk. My greatness shone through even in the face of adversity. I ascended to a level beyond what any of you could ever hope to reach, all because of that day. Because of that day, I made my three vows.
"Vow number one had to wait, because I couldn't touch you, Randal. No. You had surrounded yourself with your newly made friends. Call them Legacy, you did. I had to think long and hard before it became clear. My path to you was impeded, not due to the difference in skill between us, although that difference will become apparent soon enough, but because of faceless nobodies that clung on to your every word, innocent people that you brainwashed.
"In order to attain vow number one, I had to make vow number two. I had to find friends of my own to fight against you, Randal. I looked everywhere but nobody wanted to help me. Everybody was afraid to stand up to big, bad Viper. And then my path forged itself, because of vow number three.
"I had to regain what you'd stolen from me. I had to regain my World Heavyweight Championship. Repeating my feat from the year prior, I did exactly that, and suddenly things started falling in place. My straightedge society was at my beck and call. I thought I could do anything I wanted. How wrong I was! It was a blessing for me that the walls of the brands separated us because I soon found out that my society was built upon the lies of nonbelievers. I had no choice but to start from scratch.
"Then, as if sent from the heavens, an unmanned Nexus comes to my door, ask for my help, my incomparable leadership qualities. They believed in me, like you will soon, and I knew the time had come.
"I'm a patient man, Randal, but nature itself wants me to put an end to your tyranny, and I can think of no better time and no better opportunity that right now. Now I'm the one with support and you, the lone prey. Randal Keith Orton, enjoy the road to WrestleMania, because after it's over... you will also be over."

^ Basic draft.

tl;dr? Punk = badass.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
201 Posts
There's a time and a place for that and after a great post like that it was in my opinion disrespectful.
That's your opinion. I was watching the movie while reading this and I thought It would be worth a chuckle or too

· Registered
10,291 Posts
That was pretty good, I like how WWE used something from 2 years to start a feud, I just wished they had gone more in depth with it. The night of the slammy's were CM Punk said there was someone backstage that he had unfinished business with, who turned out to be Cena, it should have been Orton all along, would have made more sense.

· Registered
5,747 Posts
Translation; I love punk, but he needs to be on the mic for even longer to get his point across. I don't mind the curtness of his 'rant'.

· Premium Member
286 Posts
There's a time and a place for that and after a great post like that it was in my opinion disrespectful.
Some people sure are sassy these days. Smile a little bit it tends to help sometimes.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
What would have been even better would be if WWE stopped giving their talented mic workers scripted promo's to do and allowed them to cut a promo off the cuff. I remember watching or listening to an interview with Stone Cold Steve Austin not so long ago in which he said that one of the main problems now with wrestling is that people are not allowed to cut their own promo's and everything is scripted.

He said that when he wrestled he did everything on the fly although he would have a rough idea on where he was going to go with what he said and he also said that back then everyone from Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Mick Foley through to The Rock, Paul Bearer and even Vince McMahon would work unscripted. He said that the best promo's to have ever been done in the wrestling business were the ones from the heart and that you could see the emotion in them and this is something that we now don't see.

Think about how much attention the promo's by The Rock upon his return and a week later John Cena in response have got in the last few weeks and that is because they were ones that were unscripted although both men did use old material in a couple of things. Everything between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart in 1997 was unscripted as was Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and Triple H in between 1998 and 2001 and what we saw was around five years of great promo's and great feud building.

Now CM Punk is one of the people who wrestles today that is a great talker and can build a feud unscripted as anyone who saw his work in ROH will testify too so i would like to see CM Punk let off the leash in the feud with Randy Orton because in my opinion the only way the feud can be built up is through CM Punk talking and Randy Orton hitting RKO's on The Nexus. On topic though and that was a very good promo that you had written and better than anything i have seen WWE put out for someone to do on Raw or SmackDown.

· Premium Member
501 Posts
That was pretty good, honestly. I would've liked that. It even managed to take in some heelish qualities.

The ONLY thing I would change is the last line. "because after it's over...you will also be over"

There's just something that sounds a bit weak about "you will also be over" Just a slight alteration like maybe
"because after it's over...you will be over too." "because after it's over...you will be too" "because after it's over...you will be over"

It's just that having also in the sentence gives it a bit of a strange rhythm, and ending on a plosive consonant like "t" sounds a bit stronger. It sounds alright the original way, but I think to truly give that speech a real finality or exclamation at the end, you would have to chop the rhythm up so that almost each word is pounded. "because after it's over...You will Also be over

Just a small thought.

· Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,603 Posts
That was really good.

I must be in the minority, to feel this feud is a last minute slap up job. This would've given Punk more conviction and strengthen the program no doubt. It also puts over the WHC title. Rather than a punt with so little substance. This will not only bring nice plausibility, fans might even understand CM Punk further fueling this feud.

It might not be too late. After and inevitably Orton punts every Nexus member, Punk would do a confession. The only reason he attached himself to Nexus was to enforce the destruction of 'Randal Keith Orton'.

· Registered
2,817 Posts
What would have been even better would be if WWE stopped giving their talented mic workers scripted promo's to do and allowed them to cut a promo off the cuff. I remember watching or listening to an interview with Stone Cold Steve Austin not so long ago in which he said that one of the main problems now with wrestling is that people are not allowed to cut their own promo's and everything is scripted.

He said that when he wrestled he did everything on the fly although he would have a rough idea on where he was going to go with what he said and he also said that back then everyone from Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Mick Foley through to The Rock, Paul Bearer and even Vince McMahon would work unscripted. He said that the best promo's to have ever been done in the wrestling business were the ones from the heart and that you could see the emotion in them and this is something that we now don't see.

Think about how much attention the promo's by The Rock upon his return and a week later John Cena in response have got in the last few weeks and that is because they were ones that were unscripted although both men did use old material in a couple of things. Everything between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart in 1997 was unscripted as was Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and Triple H in between 1998 and 2001 and what we saw was around five years of great promo's and great feud building.

Now CM Punk is one of the people who wrestles today that is a great talker and can build a feud unscripted as anyone who saw his work in ROH will testify too so i would like to see CM Punk let off the leash in the feud with Randy Orton because in my opinion the only way the feud can be built up is through CM Punk talking and Randy Orton hitting RKO's on The Nexus. On topic though and that was a very good promo that you had written and better than anything i have seen WWE put out for someone to do on Raw or SmackDown.
They don't give Punk scripted promos - he's given a rough outline (which he says often ends up in the bin) by the writers and then he goes out and pretty much says what he wants, because Vince trusts him on the mic. He said he's always ad-libbing and changing stuff on the fly.

· Registered
489 Posts
That was pretty good, honestly. I would've liked that. It even managed to take in some heelish qualities.

The ONLY thing I would change is the last line. "because after it's over...you will also be over"

There's just something that sounds a bit weak about "you will also be over" Just a slight alteration like maybe
"because after it's over...you will be over too." "because after it's over...you will be too" "because after it's over...you will be over"

It's just that having also in the sentence gives it a bit of a strange rhythm, and ending on a plosive consonant like "t" sounds a bit stronger. It sounds alright the original way, but I think to truly give that speech a real finality or exclamation at the end, you would have to chop the rhythm up so that almost each word is pounded. "because after it's over...You will Also be over

Just a small thought.

I agree as well, instead of that final line, you should have something to do with natures law, it seems like the promo uses "nature" alot, so this kinda ties in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.