Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
:lmao

Wow, this "DEAD CROWD" meme is getting really out of control.

Last night's crowd was decent. There really isn't that much difference between today's crowds and the Attitude Era crowds. It was only during the big moments in that era that the crowd went absolutely bonkers.
/thread

Go watch the shows, kids. The rose-tinted glasses people have towards the Attitude era is absurd.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Book better shows.

Push newer talent with effort.

Send Cena back to FCW.

Take the belt off miz.

Give a damn about the tag team and divas division.

Make the IC title just as important as the WWE title.

A slew of things will they do it?? Probably not :no:
Stopped reading there

Creative: Hey, lets send our biggest star, who always invokes a reaction from the crowd, back to the training facility

Vince: Yeah, that'll make the crowd more excited. Take out the guy who gets the biggest reaction

·
Registered
272 Posts
The crowds are bland and lifeless because what their watching is too. I went to a house show recently and it was almost silent throughout the whole thing apart from when Cena came out.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I thought SmackDown had this screaming pop and boo sound used everywhere?
Yeah, they do. They play it on Superstars as well.

Also, I'm sure they keep the canned pop for Cena. There's too many people booing him now.
You can actually work out in advance how the crowd are going to react to Cena if you know the size of the arena. When the capacity is around 10-15 thousand the majority of the crowd are kids and their parents. As the crowds get bigger the demographic tends to shift in favour of adult males and those are the people who shit on him. If they really want everyone to cheer for him they need to stick to smaller venues.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think less scripting would help. I care when I feel like the guy in front of me cares, when what he's saying comes from the heart. I want him out there pouring his personality and his character and his passion into the performance. I want him acknowledging the audience, but not in a patronizing, corporate fashion... in a way that lets the audience participate, in a way that feeds off their energy. Involving the crowd in a nonscripted, spontaneous way, and getting them to care about you, is the way to get the audience to cheer and boo and all the rest. IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
1) Have some fecking matches. Less squashes, less screwy finishes just two guys in the ring looking for the 1-2-3. Strangely enough, crowds get more interested in wrestlers and matches when they see stuff happening so make stuff happen.

2) Mic time. Unless the promo has a very tight script for interruptions and so on (as with this week's Raw leading into the Gauntlet match) let the wrestlers improv their way through stuff, let them see what works for them and gets the crowd going. Also, try and put some limits on how long promos are going to be. Long promos are generally boring and people only remember the pithy quotes, get to the point or get out.

3) Cut back on the "WWE style". Slow pace and lots of rest holds dulls the crowd down badly.

4) Stop being so damned embarrassed about yourselves. Call them wrestlers and call yourself a wrestling company because that's what you all really are. Wrestling is how you entertain people, when I act I call myself an actor, when I sing I call myself a singer, when people wrestle I call them wrestlers. People will appreciate the honesty and they'll suspend their disbelief more easily.

Plus it saves on botches like Michael Cole calling himself a "wrest*cough*superstar" which would have been hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Gimmicks are not bad. PG is not bad. Screwjobs and odd match stipulations are not bad. The trick to any artistic endeavour is to know what you're making and to have a good editor to reign you in when you're running too wild. Creative need to be constrained and corporate need to take some of the leashes off.

Wrestling, just like it's nonviolent cousin, the commedia dell'arte is all about people working through a fairly standard set of plots using their own skills to embellish on those basic principles. A good company understands this and provides it. A bad one tries too hard to b something else and fails to be either.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts