Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was reading the thread bout the time it took for WCW to explode after Hogans contract was signed, pretty much saying that Hogan didnt do sh*t it was the angle they found after so long.

So i was thinking.
What angle can really do it for TNA?
One idea i thought, and since it basically was what WCW done in 96' in the first place was take a big idea that happened in Japan and apply it in the states. So i thought. Could TNA be invaded again? not as an inside thing like the NWO were what if they were invaded by a company like ROH (like Noah, NJPW and Dragon Gate have been doing more recently). I know for whatever reason theres no chance of it ever really happening, but if guys like Daniels, Aries, Hero and Castagnoli showed up and got al in the faces of something like Fortune for instance then that COULD draw some genuine heat, and the moment of believability because ROH is a completely different entity all together. Just an idea.

What do you guys think can do it for TNA? (thats sounds a little dirty but whatever) wether it be an angle, a big name, a buy out, anything.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I always dreamed that TNA could do cross promotions storyline like the ROH vs CZW feud.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
Hmmm... they blew chances of a Wrestling Entertainent 2.0 invasion with Hardy, RVD and Anderson, but perhaps it could be done.... WITH VANCE ARCHER!

·
Registered
306 Posts
There is not one angle that could make TNA. They just need to pick two guys, on heel and one face and make them the biggest in the company through consistent booking. They should not face for a long time, but when they do, it should be well built up and put Bound for Glory on the map like Hogan Andre did for WM.

Now spot the parts of the above paragraph that mean this will never happen :(

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
There is not one angle that could make TNA. They just need to pick two guys, on heel and one face and make them the biggest in the company through consistent booking. They should not face for a long time, but when they do, it should be well built up and put Bound for Glory on the map like Hogan Andre did for WM.
This.

·
8,232 Posts
No dude, no more power struggles/invasion angles.

TNA just needs to focus on feuding the right guys against one another and making it mean something.

Buyrate for Angle/Joe Lockdown proves that. Make it MEAN something, simple as.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
It would'nt work since ROH are'nt on the same level as TNA.
People would just be thinking "who da f*ck are these guys ?"

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Get out of the monotony of the impact zone and have the show in a different place each week. I like the stories and wrestlers in TNA but even I get sick of watching it all happen in exactly the same setting with a crappy theme park crowd each week.

You'll notice that around the time WCW blew up, they had recently shifted their main TV show from the taped WCW Saturday Night show in a tv studio to the touring Monday Nitro show. Yes, the NWO angle was big, but it probably wouldn't have had the same punch if it happened in a tv studio.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Booking team in which at least 1 person has a brain. That's what TNA needs. Hogan, Russo, Bischoff, they can't do shit properly and they proved it time after time ove the course of lat 15 years. Yes, WCW was succesful for year or two, but then they lost all this money because of Eric Bischoff, the 'greatest' mind in wrestling history and others like him.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
IZ is TNA's cancer.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The Sheikuation™;9086149 said:
No dude, no more power struggles/invasion angles.

TNA just needs to focus on feuding the right guys against one another and making it mean something.

Buyrate for Angle/Joe Lockdown proves that. Make it MEAN something, simple as.
agreed. What TNA need to do now is book this Immortals v Rest of TNA to a good standard, and move on from there. TNA can make MR Anderson v Jeff Hardy their Stone Cold vs Corporation if they book it right and produce a pay off for once, it would help the company alot and best of all they won't need to sign more wrestlers like in an Invasion angle for example.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
An ROH invasion wouldnt do jack shit...in fact, i bet the ratings would probably go down if anything.

For starters, you have got to go live every week. That to me, is the single most important thing...even more so than getting out of the Impact Zone. Being live changes the entire feel of the product. Now, i understand that the amount of the potential audience that reads spoilers instead of watching is probably quite small, but if you get those people watching...and they in turn tell their friends to watch (if they like it that is)...thats how your audience starts to grow, little by little.

·
Registered
167 Posts
look as far as angles hardy antichrist is as good as it gets.
IF matts gonna join tna and have a good brother vs bad brother feud
n thats just wat it is, tna cant get any better!
i jus dont see tna blowing up n being equal to wwe!
dun get me wrong i hate wwe ... but tna is about as good as it'll get.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
They need to get out of the Impact Zone,which would be fine for a B show.One solution would be to tape 4 episodes between two tapings - at different venues I mean.Still,running a taped wrestling show in the internet age leaves you at a huge disadvantage.

But their marketing is terrible too,so without improvements they won't draw on the road.

A new booker! Russo is stuck between the mid to late 90's and what McMahon taught him.I don't see how producing a lowbudget WWE lite wrestling show featuring a number of veterans from 20 years ago has any sort of future,mostly because there is 5 hours worth of WWE on television.The likes of Hogan,Flair and Foley were overexposed a decade ago!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why does TNA need to "explode" and become the number one wrestling company in the world or even be on par with the WWE? I'll never understand why people are so bent on TNA being #1. There's nothing wrong with them playing second fiddle and being basically an alternative to the status quo. If they put on good shows and have good matches, what difference does it make?

Back when Heyman owned ECW, it was the most intriguing and entertaining product in the business. Not because they had huge names and huge PPV buys or because they sold out Madison Square Garden, but because they were a smaller company and they were allowed more freedom. They also had great matches. ECW didn't care about conquering the wrestling world, they just wanted to put on a damn good show for the few rabid die hard fans they had. Why can't TNA do this? Instead, people would rather them wage a war they cannot win which brings us to the crappy, watered-down product they have today. TNA's product was much better before this silly Bischoff/Hogan experiment and before Dixie got a hard-on for being number one. That futile, short-lived Monday Night War of hers was embarrassing.

Personally, I hated the WCW when they were number one. I hated Monday Nitro. I thought it was boring as Hell. I much preferred the old NWA show in the 80's that was taped in that little television studio in Atlanta Georgia and aired Saturday afternoon on TBS. It was different than the WWF programming I was watching and that really seemed to be the whole point.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
New Management
Whilst Dixie Carter and Panda Energy have kept TNA around for years, they have made horrible decisions for the company, some actions that have tarnished the company. TNA needs a new owner with someone in charge who actually knows how to run a wrestling company properly.

New Creative Team
Vince Russo shouldn't have a job any more, yet he's still booking horrible shit that nobody wants to see. It's 2010, not 1998!

Cuts to Roster
TNA has around 70 on their roster for a two-hour weekly show. Try and get rid of at least 20 who aren't cutting it, can't wrestle, too expensive or there's nothing for them. This includes Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff, who have helped make the company into WCW 2010.

New Location
TNA have spent more than six years in a tourist attraction and it really needs to end. They need to go out there, find a better venue and look at going on the road frequently.

Better Promotion
Does house shows and the like actually get promoted well? They don't, which is why shows get low attendance and papering happens a lot at PPVs. I mean, look at Lockdown 2007? That had at least 5,400 in attendance and in 2010 at the same arena, they barely got above 3,000. That's a huge problem.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
It's 2010. The company invasion angle is almost as stale and over-done as the abusive authority figure. It doesn't need to be reapplied again. No matter how well it's done at this stage, it isn't going to be as big as it was before.

No authority figure is going to be as big as the Mr. McMahon character. Likewise, no rebellious babyface is ever going to catch on like Stone Cold did. Furthermore, no invasion angle will work as well as the New World Order. It just won't. I don't care if Bischoff claims it's been in the works for 8 months or not... it doesn't matter. It's been done to death on a major scale.

Wrestling needs a new concept. That's what leads to big boom periods. In the meantime, it's still possible for TNA to be successful without having to reinvent the game or create any new concepts themselves. All they've got to do is create stars.

Babyfaces and heels are still built by consistent booking. I don't care what the dirtsheets may claim, what the analysts may say, or anything else. Stars aren't made by five-star matches. If that were the case, everybody on the street would know Nigel McGuiness, KENTA, Davey Richards, and Bryan Danielson by name.

Newsflash. They don't. But they know John Cena.

Cena is a perfect example of someone who was built and legitimately MADE into a star by consistent booking. It took the dreaded Superman push that all of you claim to hate, but it works. Like it or not, winning matches still means something. To create a big star, you have to book them to WIN matches.

Instead of swerving people and having run-ins cost the babyface a match, have the babyface overcome all odds and win DESPITE the interference. Instead of trying to make every babyface oppose "the system" of Hogan and Bischoff, they should focus on building a great, natural rivalry instead.

Rather than making Bischoff and Hogan the prime villains, they should have a guy like Pope or Morgan oppose guys like Styles and Hardy in the ring. Think Piper/Hogan all over again. Create some chemistry with these guys. Give them genuine reasons to hate each other. Keep them strong. Book them strong. Don't have them lose for months or longer when possible.

Consistent, strong booking creates stars. It is tested and true. It has worked over and over again. It always will.

Besides, the idea of an invasion isn't what put WCW over the top - it was the Hogan heel turn that did it. The New World Order would've been a big deal either way, but there's no way in hell it would've had the staying power that it did without the fuel from Hogan's heel turn.

Hall and Nash still would've been a big deal. And, before people figured out they were actually signed with WCW and not the WWF anymore, people bought it. But think about it. If they would've been paired with Sting, Savage, or Luger, it wouldn't have had nearly the same effect.

The big culture shock of seeing the all-time good guy hero, Hulk Hogan, turn heel and side with them is what made the angle larger than life. Without Hogan's heel turn, it loses a lot of luster. I don't care how you spin it. That was the beginning of Attitude.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I would replace the entire current roster with MMA guys, have them fight for real with unscripted outcomes, but give them scripted storylines and feuds to build up the fights. Basically, do it like a normal wrestling show with scripted promos and segments and gimmicks, except have the fights be legitimate. Lean more to the sports side of sports entertainment.

Not sure how successful it would be, but its the kind of game changer they need to overtake WWE.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.