Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I was wondering about this. How many people attend small independent promotions these days? I know ROH has been getting some great numbers recently, like 2000+ (as much as SD lmao), but I was wondering about smaller promotions like IWA, PWG, CZW, and even smaller promotions. I'm thinking about 60 people to 200 people normally attend their shows, but what would be a good average?

·
Is a Snit Head
22,343 Posts
It really depends on the city they run in and the company. While ROH did draw 2,000 over the summer the show was in NYC and WWE's show where they drew 2,000 was in a much smaller market.

I think your estimate is a little low though. PWG draws a nice crowd every show, not sure how many people they fit into that building but it seems packed watching on DVD. CZW get a few hundred people to all of their shows. They always sell out the first 3 rows and you have 20 seats in 4 sections so that's 240 people right there.

I'm living in Philadelphia for school but my hometown has a local company that draws around 100-120 people to each show and they run in a suburban town with not that many people.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There are many different types of indies.

Some are only slightly better than backyard promotions. They might run in a real building, but their wrestlers are mostly untrained. They only draw a handful of fans, and those fans are probably friends of the wrestlers.

Some are associated to a wrestling school. Their main concern is to give their trainees experience. They occasionally bring in some veterans to help out, but usually they draw only 50-200 people max because they dont have any "stars" on their show.

Some promotions dont have their own school, so they try to bring in all the top talent within the area. The roster of these promotions usually look identical to the other indies in the same area. Numbers vary a lot. Some draw 50, but some have drawn 1500+ too, especially the ones that have regular appearences of old legends do well. But most probably are within the 300-500 range.

And then you have the 'big' indies. Unlike the other indies they try to sell DVDs or iPPVs, and because dvds arent restricted to a certain area they bring in as many top talent as they can afford, to make the dvds more interesting. Once again numbers vary a lot, ROH is like 1500-2500 at their main shows, Chikara 800ish at their ECW arena shows, DGUSA/Evolve are somewhat disappointing with 200-300ish fans, same for PWG who is around 300-400?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I used to work for a small indy company in continental Europe. House shows were always held in the same building and drew about 50 people. TV tapings were always held in different locations and drew ~150 people. You obviously can't make any money out of that, but it was fun.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
National Wrestling Superstars (NWS) which runs often here in NJ on a good show usually gets I'd say 200-300, but they do get some shows with less than a 100 people. Depends who is booked on the show, sometimes they do get recently released WWE guys and some wrestlers from the past. They did a show at my old high school gym and Tatanka and The Patriot were there, not so big draws honestly

This is the same indy which was featured on the National Geographic documentary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts