Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
36,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After seeing Bryan vs. Rollins, it's become even more clear to me that we need a brand split to maximize the talent potential within WWE. The company has made it very clear that Reigns will be at the forefront of everything and that anyone not named John Cena can get fucked, so it's time to put everyone where they can get a chance to shine. They've also made it clear that they won't be pushing Daniel Bryan, and if they do put him in the main event, it's against Kane, Big Show, and possibly Sheamus. It's a complete waste of his talent to be in these boring recycled feuds and it's a waste of your time to keep demanding he gets put there. "BUT REIGNS WILL FIGHT THE SAME GUYS!!1!" No, he wont. When Reigns turns heel he has the options of Cena, Ryback, Ambrose, Ziggler, and [FACE]Rollins. That's plenty to keep him busy. Bryan doesn't have that luxury because he's seemingly stuck as the smiley underdog for life. With that said, the top technical wrestlers should be moved to Smackdown, and Vince's Sports Entertainers should remain on RAW. Here are the usual arguments you'll get against the brand split:

Ratings: We've been told many times by Bryan fans that he's the biggest ratings draw and an absolute necessity to the show, despite ratings increasing for several months in his absence with Reigns in the main event, but that's a different argument for a different time. The main issue is that SOME of these same fans are saying Bryan shouldn't be put on the B show because no one watches it. Hold on a minute playas :woah
. If Bryan is such a huge draw, then shouldn't he have no problem bringing fans over to watch Smackdown? You can't have it both ways.

The World Championship is Secondary: It's better than having NO championship. There are less than a handful of people with a chance in hell of holding the WWE title on the current roster. That's REALLY unexciting. I don't want to look at what's supposed to be a feud for the most important prize in the company knowing that A. It's going to get dragged on for a long time because there are no other worthy contenders. B. It's just a filler feud because the challenger has no chance of winning. It's better that Daniel Bryan faces the likes of Dolph Ziggler, Seth Rollins, Cesaro, and Sami Zayn for a secondary World Championship than fight Kane for no reason.

An All Workrate Show is Unappealing: Smackdown outdrew RAW last decade with a heavy focus being on workrate. If you have the right people in charge, it CAN be appealing. If you're working under the assumption that no one wants to sit through a heatless 15 minute match, you're right. I am the biggest Sports Entertainment enthusiast on this site and I love NXT's indy wrasslin because it's presented properly. The storylines make all of the matches matter. If I can get behind a good story, I can sit through a 15 minute match. Put guys like Paul Heyman, Dusty Rhodes, Triple H, Zeb Coulter, and the NXT staff in charge and you'll get some compelling stories to go with some great wrestling. If Rollins vs. Bryan isn't enough to sell you, just think of the potential Bryan vs. Zayn, Bryan vs. Itami in WWE, Bryan vs. Balor, etc.

Bryan Deserves to Be The Face of RAW:
. Simple as that. The company has made their stance on Bryan VERY clear for the last year, and the only reason he got pushed is because Punk walked out. They just told you fans did it so you can feel important. It contributed, but that's because they had no real choice. You can keep complaining about it, and they'll keep giving you "Main Event" matches with Kane on the Roman Reigns show.

The Roster is Too Thin: That is by design of WWE. They have potential out the ass and it's all been wasted. Just look at the last Lumberjack match between Cena and Rollins. You saw a bunch of jobbers who haven't been on TV or won a match in years. Vince buries his entire roster for the sake of 3 guys, 2 of which will be used to put over 1 guy. It doesn't matter how many people join the roster, they'll all be buried. See 80% of the NXT talent. Again, put guys like Paul Heyman, Dusty Rhodes, Triple H, Zeb Coulter, and the NXT staff in charge and everyone will be handled much better. Hell, in their current states, Smackdown and RAW looked like parallel universes for the longest with meaningful promos being on Smackdown and the Ambrose and Wyatt feud, albeit mediocre, having its best moments over there. Remove Vince from the equation and stars will be built. Heyman turned Vince's trash into his treasure before and he can do it again. Believe That.

Now I'm sure we'll have some geniuses coming in and accusing me of trying to get rid of Bryan to protect Reigns. Look, Reigns is set for at least a year. They've made it very clear that this push is happening whether the minority of dissatisfied smarks likes it or not. If you peek your head into the PPV section, you'll see I'm the one who made the thread for Reigns vs. Bryan. I welcome the mixed reactions. It just shows fans give a shit about both guys in the ring. When was the last time we had this, Punk vs. Cena? Anyway, the brand split is your best option for getting the best results out of Bryan and other IWC favorites without them becoming stale due to bad, lazy booking[Ziggler getting beaten up before every match, Bryan fighting Kane, etc.], and without you seeing the same boring matches over and over again. Don't let me, a fan of the pageantry of wrestling, be able to see more potential in this than workrate marks.

·
Banned
7,451 Posts
Instead of RAW vs Smackdown.

Drop Smackdown (Ooooh No he didn't).

So it's just RAW.

Then announce the return of WCW on Spike TV. Start out with WCW Saturday, which will eventually lead to them moving to Mondays as WCW Nitro.

It will all be owned and operated by WWE, Inc.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,082 Posts
If done right, a brand split could work. That being said, it's never going to happen again. It just isn't. Especially when Raw is still 3 hours long and they have to fill that time up. They're not going to cut the roster up with that being the case.

Also, if we think shit is stale right now, it would get even more stale with less possibilities with certain wrestlers on certain shows. And I know you can have a re-draft another year in or something. But the last 6-9 months of the draft would be stale, too. With a roster cut in half for each show, they'd probably run out of ideas in like 3 months flat.

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
I'll always be in favour of the brand extension. I loved the early 2000s and mid 2000s brand split. It was so fun to watch both shows. It also gave a lot more valuable time to develop wrestlers in their own special angles.

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
If done right, a brand split could work. That being said, it's never going to happen again. It just isn't. Especially when Raw is still 3 hours long and they have to fill that time up. They're not going to cut the roster up with that being the case.
Unfortunately, this. I can't see WWE ever bringing it back...especially not anytime soon.

·
Banned
7,451 Posts
Well I loved the Monday Night Wars of the late 1990s. The Brand-split always felt like a sorry immitation, where as Smackdown is not a rival to RAW, it's suppose to be an extension of RAW (like it is today).

The problem is WWE today is not that big as it was in the late 90s early 2000s.

Haven't you noticed the main event seem to float around the same guys , including Big Show and Kane being follies against those same main guys. WWE needs an injection of talent from other brands to mix it up with what we currently see as the main talent. I'm talking about some stars from TNA, RoH, and maybe NPJ invading WWE. So that the roster is filled with a large card selection so the idea of splitting up the company in two would be profitable not just to the company but the viewer. Who wants to watch an already thin roster split between Smackdown vs RAW?

60,006 Posts
After seeing Bryan vs. Rollins, it's become even more clear to me that we need a brand split to maximize the talent potential within WWE. The company has made it very clear that Reigns will be at the forefront of everything and that anyone not named John Cena can get fucked, so it's time to put everyone where they can get a chance to shine. They've also made it clear that they won't be pushing Daniel Bryan, and if they do put him in the main event, it's against Kane, Big Show, and possibly Sheamus. It's a complete waste of his talent to be in these boring recycled feuds and it's a waste of your time to keep demanding he gets put there. "BUT REIGNS WILL FIGHT THE SAME GUYS!!1!" No, he wont. When Reigns turns heel he has the options of Cena, Ryback, Ambrose, Ziggler, and [FACE]Rollins. That's plenty to keep him busy. Bryan doesn't have that luxury because he's seemingly stuck as the smiley underdog for life. With that said, the top technical wrestlers should be moved to Smackdown, and Vince's Sports Entertainers should remain on RAW. Here are the usual arguments you'll get against the brand split:

Ratings: We've been told many times by Bryan fans that he's the biggest ratings draw and an absolute necessity to the show, despite ratings increasing for several months in his absence with Reigns in the main event, but that's a different argument for a different time. The main issue is that SOME of these same fans are saying Bryan shouldn't be put on the B show because no one watches it. Hold on a minute playas :woah
. If Bryan is such a huge draw, then shouldn't he have no problem bringing fans over to watch Smackdown? You can't have it both ways.

The World Championship is Secondary: It's better than having NO championship. There are less than a handful of people with a chance in hell of holding the WWE title on the current roster. That's REALLY unexciting. I don't want to look at what's supposed to be a feud for the most important prize in the company knowing that A. It's going to get dragged on for a long time because there are no other worthy contenders. B. It's just a filler feud because the challenger has no chance of winning. It's better that Daniel Bryan faces the likes of Dolph Ziggler, Seth Rollins, Cesaro, and Sami Zayn for a secondary World Championship than fight Kane for no reason.

An All Workrate Show is Unappealing: Smackdown outdrew RAW last decade with a heavy focus being on workrate. If you have the right people in charge, it CAN be appealing. If you're working under the assumption that no one wants to sit through a heatless 15 minute match, you're right. I am the biggest Sports Entertainment enthusiast on this site and I love NXT's indy wrasslin because it's presented properly. The storylines make all of the matches matter. If I can get behind a good story, I can sit through a 15 minute match. Put guys like Paul Heyman, Dusty Rhodes, Triple H, Zeb Coulter, and the NXT staff in charge and you'll get some compelling stories to go with some great wrestling. If Rollins vs. Bryan isn't enough to sell you, just think of the potential Bryan vs. Zayn, Bryan vs. Itami in WWE, Bryan vs. Balor, etc.

Bryan Deserves to Be The Face of RAW:
. Simple as that. The company has made their stance on Bryan VERY clear for the last year, and the only reason he got pushed is because Punk walked out. They just told you fans did it so you can feel important. It contributed, but that's because they had no real choice. You can keep complaining about it, and they'll keep giving you "Main Event" matches with Kane on the Roman Reigns show.

The Roster is Too Thin: That is by design of WWE. They have potential out the ass and it's all been wasted. Just look at the last Lumberjack match between Cena and Rollins. You saw a bunch of jobbers who haven't been on TV or won a match in years. Vince buries his entire roster for the sake of 3 guys, 2 of which will be used to put over 1 guy. It doesn't matter how many people join the roster, they'll all be buried. See 80% of the NXT talent. Again, put guys like Paul Heyman, Dusty Rhodes, Triple H, Zeb Coulter, and the NXT staff in charge and everyone will be handled much better. Hell, in their current states, Smackdown and RAW looked like parallel universes for the longest with meaningful promos being on Smackdown and the Ambrose and Wyatt feud, albeit mediocre, having its best moments over there. Remove Vince from the equation and stars will be built. Heyman turned Vince's trash into his treasure before and he can do it again. Believe That.

Now I'm sure we'll have some geniuses coming in and accusing me of trying to get rid of Bryan to protect Reigns. Look, Reigns is set for at least a year. They've made it very clear that this push is happening whether the minority of dissatisfied smarks likes it or not. If you peek your head into the PPV section, you'll see I'm the one who made the thread for Reigns vs. Bryan. I welcome the mixed reactions. It just shows fans give a shit about both guys in the ring. When was the last time we had this, Punk vs. Cena? Anyway, the brand split is your best option for getting the best results out of Bryan and other IWC favorites without them becoming stale due to bad, lazy booking[Ziggler getting beaten up before every match, Bryan fighting Kane, etc.], and without you seeing the same boring matches over and over again. Don't let me, a fan of the pageantry of wrestling, be able to see more potential in this than workrate marks.

I wish I could rep you now. 100% in concordance with you. LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!! very impressive post. :clap

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Here's an argument. And it's a legitimate one too.

In 10 years when the kids who grew up in this era with no brand split grow up we won't have "bring back brand split" threads every week for no reason. And that's a fucking positive.

/ End argument.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,082 Posts
Also, WWE wants all their stars accessable for both shows. They want as much star power as possible on both shows, especially Raw. Daniel Bryan is the most popular guy in WWE right now and has been for a couple of years or so, and that isn't changing anytime soon. If anything, they want to be able to put him on both shows, not limit him to just one. I also don't think anything is set in stone for the next face of the company. I don't even think they are going to have a set face of the company after Cena. They might have tried or try with Reigns, but even Cena wasn't getting booed as a face BEFORE he won the title. If he has a run of his own, it's not going to be long. I see the title being passed around alot, tbh. I think it will be a set group of 3-4 guys who lead WWE into the next generation. Not just one like it's been with Cena for the past generation.

·
Since Day One
9,907 Posts
We've essentially had a brand split if you think about it. For about two months, on the top of the card, we had Ambrose and Cena as the top babyfaces. And on the heel side, we had Rollins, Kane, and Orton. If creative could've handled the overall booking of the show better, then Ambrose vs. Rollins wouldn't have prop comedy and hot dogs, Kane would be nowhere near the Main Event, and Orton wouldn't be playing second fiddle. But that's just it. That's the only difference you need; better writers. You don't really need to have a brand split so Bryan, Ziggler, and Ambrose get their chance.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
They just need to use their 3 hours of lonnnng ass showtime to actually develop the guys they have. Raw this week was good cause Seth, Reigns and Bryan lead the way. All 3 with different things to bring to the table. I like a different variety of styles and sizes. I like the different match ups. I dont think a brand split is necessary to develop guys. if anything just actually use smackdown to further stroylines or showcase people who didn't make it on raw at times. Theres still something special about live television, Smackdown will always suffer because of that. I stopped watching full time during the last brand split, so that may have something to do with my feelings towards it as well.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
36,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Also, WWE wants all their stars accessable for both shows. They want as much star power as possible on both shows, especially Raw. Daniel Bryan is the most popular guy in WWE right now and has been for a couple of years or so, and that isn't changing anytime soon. If anything, they want to be able to put him on both shows, not limit him to just one.

The show survived without Bryan last year and it can do it again. Making him a Smackdown exclusive will increase ratings for that show if what I'm told about his drawing power is indeed true. Triple H sees NXT as an alternative to the main product, and he can also make Smackdown his baby so his callups aren't ruined by Vince.

I also don't think anything is set in stone for the next face of the company. I don't even think they are going to have a set face of the company after Cena. They might have tried or try with Reigns, but even Cena wasn't getting booed as a face BEFORE he won the title. If he has a run of his own, it's not going to be long. I see the title being passed around alot, tbh. I think it will be a set group of 3-4 guys who lead WWE into the next generation. Not just one like it's been with Cena for the past generation.

Reigns' reaction on Monday was great and I see him getting mixed reactions at the WORST from here on out spare a few smark crowds. It's becoming more and more clear that Philly was an anomaly. We were told Reigns would be booed in every arena like Batista and it isn't happening. With that said, he's still turning heel, so it doesn't matter anyway. I would like there to be 3-4 guys on top, but that isn't happening either. They're putting all of their stock into Reigns.

We've essentially had a brand split if you think about it. For about two months, on the top of the card, we had Ambrose and Cena as the top babyfaces. And on the heel side, we had Rollins, Kane, and Orton. If creative could've handled the overall booking of the show better, then Ambrose vs. Rollins wouldn't have prop comedy and hot dogs, Kane would be nowhere near the Main Event, and Orton wouldn't be playing second fiddle. But that's just it. That's the only difference you need; better writers. You don't really need to have a brand split so Bryan, Ziggler, and Ambrose get their chance.
It's very half assed and even more irritating because for awhile all the good stuff happened on Smackdown and no one saw it, but they watched all of the trainwrecks on RAW. You DO need a brand split so Bryan and Ziggler get their chance, because they aren't getting it any other way. Putting the technical wrestlers on Smackdown to be BOOKED CORRECTLY and upstage RAW would light a fire under Vince's ass and force him to compete with himself again. We'd in turn get increased quality from both shows. Even if Smackdown doesn't outdraw RAW, the casuals would have their show and the hardcore workrate marks would have an alternative. All viewers would be relatively satisfied with the product.

·
Since Day One
9,907 Posts
It's very half assed and even more irritating because for awhile all the good stuff happened on Smackdown and no one saw it, but they watched all of the trainwrecks on RAW. You DO need a brand split so Bryan and Ziggler get their chance, because they aren't getting it any other way. Putting the technical wrestlers on Smackdown to be BOOKED CORRECTLY and upstage RAW would light a fire under Vince's ass and force him to compete with himself again. We'd in turn get increased quality from both shows. Even if Smackdown doesn't outdraw RAW, the casuals would have their show and the hardcore workrate marks would have an alternative. All viewers would be relatively satisfied with the product.
At most, I see Reigns hogging the world title for almost a year like they were song with Cena and Batista. That's really not that long before a title reign for those guys is possible, especially if Reigns is turning heel. I figured you'd want them on the same show as Reigns as losing the belt to one of those guys surely sounds better than John "Cut You Off From The Knees" Cena.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.