Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With WWE looking to make big moves into India and China, with a combined 2.7 BILLION people in those countries, they have some huge room to grow.

India has always been super into WWE, and Great Khali is the most famous man in India. But WWE have not properly focused on them and tried to break into that market financially. That is until now.

And with China, they have almost never had any real wrestling presence there. But WWE are pushing hard and according to Meltzer there are huge plans for Tian Bing once he is ready (likely including immediate world titles runs, similar to Jinder).

I think WWE are being really smart here. People can talk about wrestling being dead or not as popular as it used to be, but why worry about 300 million people in the US with declining interest in wrestling when you have 2.7 billion people who either love it or have not been exposed to it yet. Forget dying, WWE could actually be about to reach a level of popularity far beyond anything they have seen before.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Well, honestly and personally I don't actually care.

From their perspective it's worth doing, as it provides them with more opportunities to make money. BUT I only watch Raw and Smackdown. I don't watch anything else, and I probably won't watch the UK Championship show or whatever else shows they plan on making. I want wrestling to be enjoyable and unpredictable again, and I mean unpredictable in a good way, the product needs to go in another direction or I'll probably fall off watching again soon like I did a few years ago.

For example, I enjoy Roman Reigns as a talent very much, but, it perplexes me that they just refuse to turn his alignment in the direction the fans WANT him to follow. It's detrimental to him and the show as a whole. If I didn't buy into him as much as I do as a top guy I'd probably detest him just because of management's inability to see how he could be much better used. A change like that would make the current shows the have interesting. Make the show the fans want and the show will be more enjoyable for everybody.

Now, back to the topic, unless they get their main shows in order I don't give a flying fuck about MORE poor content.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
It all depends on getting someone over as a megastar in those countries. Pushing someone just because is not enough..ask tna.

China has no history in following pro wrestling and that market is notoriously difficult to break

WWE have all of room to grow but it all depends on getting someone who connects with the audience in a megastar status. If wwe had someone as over as say rousey (when she was undefeated) that would be a game changer for them across the board

·
Going fckin' Over.. while Digging Holes-uhh and Bu
2,610 Posts
Here's the thing-uhh...

India may have a huge population-uhh, but the fact of the matter is that majority of those marks are below poverty line.

India may have top 5 GDP in the world, but they also have over a billion people there, which pretty much diminishes per capita income.

They don't even pay for PPVs, as PPVs get aired on their subscribed cable channels-uhh.

When it comes to WWE Network subscription, the numbers are not quite encouraging.

Indian marks would rather catch WWE on free media-uhh, than pay hundreds of INR equivalent of $9.99.

And make no mistake-uhh, Jinder is not even as popular there, as guys like Reigns, Cena, Taker or even Khali.

However, this publicity stunt, or The Haitch should say, troll job, of making Jinder the Jobber a world champion-uhh....

Was done to counter what that jobber federation-uhh Impact is doing in India.

Old man Vince will never acknowledge it, but The Haitch knows better.

After all, The Haitch poached so many superstars from that fed.

Impact may not be a competition in the States, but they have a significant presence in Indian market.

Better to nip them in the bud, than experience another WCW in the making.

The Haitch knows that there will not be any WCW like competitor in near future...

But better safe than sorry.

:trips2

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
As far as they want to, to be honest. They'll continue to grow as they are more developing countries to market to.

Now that I think about it, Economically, I think WWE is an inferior good. Sure, its not because WWE is cheaper, but it sure does feel that lower income brackets and less developing countries seem to enjoy it a lot more.

But then, thats more like a demerit good. So WWE programming could possibly be classified under the same group as cigarettes and alcohol. Niceedd.

Don't judge me, I have an Econs exam coming soon. I see everything in an economic perspective now.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Feeling it will be like the NFL trying to doing global. a full on league wont fly because the product it too "American" Keep it to a few shows off and on.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
They will keep trying, and its probably a good thing. But, they need to realize "one size doesn't fit all". Most every product differs from region to region and country to country. The would have greater success if they establish various branch's of the WWE in those areas with their own titles, shows, etc..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Obviously its good thing for them. I just wish they wouldnt do these anti-american gimmicks. It is good for wrestlers and commentators to mention where they are from, and they can say they are proud of it in their promos, but this isnt 80s.

Or if WWE want to make these type of gimmicks then go a bit further in to this diversity/multiculturalism thing. Of course some people might get upset, but screw them. :smile2:

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,131 Posts
Ultimately its not something that matters to me. How well WWE is doing as a business is menaingless to me as a fan when I just want to be entertained.

The product is worse than I've ever seen it when its loaded up with all these boring ass western world talents like Balor, Rollins, Reigns, etc. Cant hurt add some different nationalities. At the very least focusing on the Indian/Chinese market cant make WWE any worse than it is now.

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
Unless they scrap the women's division, or have them perform with whole body condoms, and don't show Stephanie as a woman in power, they can forget making substantial progress in China.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
I'm Just A Sick Guy.
1,884 Posts
I don't have a problem with them becoming more global as long as they find a way to fix their main shows. Although I think foreign markets would more so appreciate an authentic, homegrown WWE product with an American identity, than a superficial one constructed to appeal specifically to their particular market.

As for further growth, personally; I believe they need to find a way for the unbelievable depth of talent on their roster to have great matches on a regular basis. They have an untapped well of incredible, under used talent.

Hear me out, I understand that as a business WWE has an agenda supporting its goal of making money; this is of course the goal of any business - to make money.

On their path to controlling their competition and making money WWE has signed a wealth of the best talent in the world, talent they continue to underutilise.

The amount of fans worldwide who respect technical wrestling is being underestimated, and to give those fans an annual event with a main roster, premium feel would be the perfect gift to a sometimes under appreciated fanbase; and I'm sure that if done right; with consistently high quality matches: it would get people talking, create hype and draw attention to the product.

In 2017 a really great technical wrestling match has the ability to make the entire zeitgeist of wrestling talk (Omega v Okada, Ospreay v Ricochet) creating hype, passion, opinion and drawing attention to wherever that match took place: this is something WWE is not currently taking advantage of to further its own product or brand.

Also, they could place this tournament in that post Mania lul period, a time of year not much happens during anyway.

I think that having signed some of the best technical wrestlers out there WWE should find a way for them to perform great matches. A show/tournament for wrestling purists but with a main roster feel. A show which takes both main roster and the best NXT talent and puts them in a tournament together in a multiple day festival of great matches: like King of the Ring and NJPW's G1 rolled into one.

A tournament over many days in which great 5 star matches happen every day. With enough of the main roster having roots in indie/puro/Lucha/technical wrestling WWE could put on either a weekly/monthly show/annual tournament to showcase the very best its entire roster has to offer.

For example, this could be the list of talent in the tournament this year:

Group A

Cesaro
Akira Tozawa
Seth Rollins
Tyler Bate
Gran metalik
Kevin Owens
Johnny Gargano
Kassius Ohno
Neville
Finn Balor

Group B

Aleister Black
Shinsuke Nakamura
Cedric Alexander
Drew McIntyre
Rich Swann
Hideo Itami
Sami Zayn
Pete Dunne
AJ Styles
Roderick Strong

Set up a points system for a win, 10 wrestlers in each group; then switch from a group system to a knockout system as the bottom of each group is eliminated each round. Give everyone lots of time for their matches, remove all in ring restrictions; just let everyone put on the best match they can every match. Match quality is the primary goal here.

I guarantee an annual tournament such as this would get the wrestling world talking every year, fans would love it; wrestling purists would love it: and it would allow WWE main roster talents who come from that indie/technical wrestling scene (Seth Rollins, Sami Zayn, Finn Balor, Cesaro, Kevin Owens, Nakamura) the chance to re-connect with that fanbase at its root, and generate a fresh buzz in it without leaving the WWE unbrella.

It would also allow WWE to make full use of their talented roster, it would generate buzz for NXT; and I'm sure it would facilitate growth within a certain fanbase as the general quality of match put on would get people talking: create annual hype - and maybe even drive up network subscriptions.

Reactions: Jonasolsson96

·
Registered
204 Posts
With WWE looking to make big moves into India and China, with a combined 2.7 BILLION people in those countries, they have some huge room to grow.

India has always been super into WWE, and Great Khali is the most famous man in India. But WWE have not properly focused on them and tried to break into that market financially. That is until now.

And with China, they have almost never had any real wrestling presence there. But WWE are pushing hard and according to Meltzer there are huge plans for Tian Bing once he is ready (likely including immediate world titles runs, similar to Jinder).

I think WWE are being really smart here. People can talk about wrestling being dead or not as popular as it used to be, but why worry about 300 million people in the US with declining interest in wrestling when you have 2.7 billion people who either love it or have not been exposed to it yet. Forget dying, WWE could actually be about to reach a level of popularity far beyond anything they have seen before.
I certainly hope they are rejected, and it's not viable monetarily. We don't need this powerful brand taking over all of wrestling, it's already conquered so much, and pushed their corporate-style agenda (as well as re-written pro-WWE wrestling history propaganda).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Money Trumps borders, languages, and national identities.
Here's to corporate elitism! McWorld it is!
Ahhhh, the Plutocrats. Always discounting the simple plebs. Nationalism is more like the DDT. Not a finishing maneuver right now, but there are many forms still being used frequently and its still capable of delivering a pinfall victory. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts