Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I would describe the respective careers of Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes.

Let's start at Wrestlemania last year:

Rhodes & Dibiase lose against Orton in a triple threat match in the second contest of the match.

The draft:

Dibiase had been touted as a future main eventer with talk of a stable with his brother and Joe Hennig (Michael McGillicutty) called 'The Fortunate Sons' occuring, which fell through after Brett Dibiase had to have knee surgery.

Rhodes, having been punted out of action, to add insult to (kayfabe) injury, is almost unceremoniously thrown onto Smackdown, the B show without a story or anything planned (his theme said it all. Ted got the Legacy theme. Cody went back to his jobber theme, even though it sounds cool).

Mid-year

Dibiase got some air time, which started to decrease and decrease after every single week, with WWE noticing that Dibiase was getting absolutely no heat whatsoever. To find a solution to the situation, WWE firstly give him a watered down version of his father's gimmick but they then give him Maryse as a valet and of course, their chemistry is zero, zilch and none.

Rhodes for a time was confined to superstars despite winning against Morrison on his Smackdown debut (debut of his 'beautiful disaster' signiture move) and was then put onto NXT, the C show, but this is where things would change.

His promo work began to shine and he started to get some more time which morphed him into 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes, a new gimmick which Cody would play to perfection. The spine of this gimmick was the hilariously entertaining 'grooming tips' segment as well as entertaining matches and promos on both Smackdown and NXT. He also got a cameo appearance on hit show Warehouse 13.

The tides were beginning to turn.

Autumn and Winter:

Rhodes continued his rise while Dibiase continued his decline. However, all that resulted was a tag title reign for Rhodes and a US title match for Dibiase, but it was the fan reactions that showed the different. Dibiase was getting absolutely no heat whatsoever. You could hear the tumbleweed during Dibiase's entrance. The only time he got a lot of heat, or any heat for that matter was when he sang. Conversely, Rhodes' heat level continued to grow, and grow.

Now we get to 2011:

Rhodes has been in a number 1 contender's match for the World title and is now feuding with Rey Mysterio which seems set to take place at Wrestlemania 27 (Rhodes is also showing another dimension to his gimmick, reminiscent of "American Psycho" in his character). There is also the possibility he could be I.C. champ either at Wrestlemania or as early as next week or the week after considering Kofi's apparent injury (which serves the double purpose of making Del Rio look credible and getting the title off him A.S.A.P)

Dibiase on the other hand has been resigned to dark matches for the US title (which will never change hands in a dark match), not winning for a long time and being resigned to getting dumped by his rookie for a better version of his gimmick in Del Rio and now doesn't even seem set to appear at Wrestlemania! His best shot is in the MITB ladder match and even that's not set in stone with the amount of talents WWE have and seem to prefer.

So after reading this, and looking at their current position, I would find it challenging for anyone to disagree with me despite your own preferences. So we go back to the motto of this thread. What a difference a year makes.

· Banned
1,911 Posts
Creative finally realized who the real talent was in the stable. I kept telling people.

· Registered
127 Posts
good read man, have to agree with you...it's funny how peoples opinion on here change of certain people as well. When DiBiase was in Legacy everyone was loving him and wanting him to get a massive push but ever since about last year, nobody seems to care about him and I can't quite work out who's at fault for that...

...is it the WWE for his awful gimmick? Or is it DiBiase for not working on his promo/ring ability? Or is it just the surge of talent this year in the shape of Nexus/Corre, Daniel Bryan, ADR etc etc

· Registered
662 Posts
Very good read. All true.

To Be Perfectly Honest, I blame DiBiase's failure to the major increase of young talent over the past year. He's been burried on RAW by Nexus, Daniel Bryan, and even the Miz, with his sudden uprising.

Rhodes has actually had the easygoing in all of this moving to the B show, that BADLY needed the talent...and guess what, Rhodes provided it. Rhodes had his REAL chance to shine before the Corre came over to Smackdown, so he'll permanently stay in a mid-card/low M.E position. DiBiase on the other hand won't blossom for another year or so under his conditions....if EVER.

· Registered
1,694 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Everybody (myself included) thought that DiBiase was gonna be a huge star and that Rhodes was gonna be relegated to WWE Superstars. But instead, Rhodes adopted the "Dashing" gimmick and has since become one of SmackDown's regular performers (he was even named "Jerk of the Month" for the December issue of WWE Magazine).

Rhodes' good looks and narcissism as well as taunting the crowd is the main reason he is one of SmackDown's most hated heels (and I became a fangirl because of it). Case in point: "I can hear you getting fatter".

DiBiase, on the other hand gets no reaction from the crowd whatsoever and his Kevin Rudolf-inspired entrance theme is a cheesy auto-tune ripoff.

· Registered
4,026 Posts
had a nice time reading this, nicely done buddy!

i'm surprised in the good way of how much things changed...

in 2009 dibiase was pushing for a 100% babyface run, everyone was behind him, sadly wwe wasted too much time teasing the breakup so by the time it finally happened in 2010, people just didn't care anymore, to the point of making orton turn face, the whole legacy angle was a letdown in that sense... the 2 future talent were turned into the generic heels the babyface has to beat, today? dibiase has been sadly reduced to an afterthought... wasted time and wasted talent

rhodes in 2009? he was just evil henchmen Nº 2, he was having the same hell mcguillicutty and harris had in new nexus, they were just "there" in the background, he had barely any involvment in the breakup, so in the end, he seemed to be about to dissapear into obscurity... then NXT starts and... one year after wrestlemania... man... how things have changed... if you had told me one year ago that cody rhodes was going to rise like this... i would have laughed it off

· Banned
11,216 Posts
Very good point, O.P.

That being said - DiBiase > Rhodes in every single way. DiBiase could have taken the 'Dashing' gimmick and done more with it than Rhodes has. It's an easy gimmick and requires no creativity on the wrestlers part as it's all scripted (the vignettes, the brief promos).

· Registered
2,812 Posts
i agree. i like dibiase, but it's clear he isn't going anywhere any time soon. i think there's just too many people on the roster...too many younger guys...too many generational guys around. they tried to give him his father's gimmick...and honestly, his first little promo worked...but it went downhill from there. then legacy happened etc...

as for rhodes, i'm not a fan of the gimmick...but he does it very well. i think dibiase is better in the ring, but by the looks of it, cody is having and will have a much better career.

also, i wonder what would be happening to dibiase if goldust hadn't gotten hurt? they had some good tv matches and from live reports and what not, i've heard that those two tore it up at house shows...it could have been a real second coming of goldust and dibiase could have come into his own... and while i liked dibiase and brodus clay on nxt, for clay's sake, i'm glad they split the two so clay could do his own thing.

· Banned
411 Posts
Im a fan of Dashing Cody Rhodes Creative really done wonders for this guys career im onestly happy for him Ted well this makes me sad i onestly like Ted and think he should of been a face when he got marise looking back on it i was marking for him coming out with a hotty like that she's one of the few divas i dont mind watching also so im disapointed it didnt work out i also like how he BRIBED carlito to do a beatdown for him than he quit and the gimmick ended WWE SHOULD OF SAID CARLITO RETIRED FUCKING MORONS make out ted is so rich he pay for people retirements

· Registered
350 Posts
Maybe if they didn't stop the US title for 4 months then Dibiase may have began receiving heat. He is an in-ring performer and if he isn't given time in the ring then how is he supposed to draw it?

· Registered
6,883 Posts
Very good point, O.P.

That being said - DiBiase > Rhodes in every single way. DiBiase could have taken the 'Dashing' gimmick and done more with it than Rhodes has. It's an easy gimmick and requires no creativity on the wrestlers part as it's all scripted (the vignettes, the brief promos).
I honestly can't imagine DiBiase wearing a jacket with a mirror behind it, or doing that classic meltdown at Survior Series when Kofi hit Rhodes's face.

There's a hell of a lot of things Rhodes can do than DiBiase cant with the Dashing gimmick. People don't realize it since it's up to taste, but Rhodes has the more chiseled model face than DiBiase.

· Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Very good point, O.P.

I don't agree at all, Dibiase is bland. He's bland when he talks on the microphone, he's bland when he's in the ring, he's just altogether bland. In addition I don't really believe him when he's playing a character, for example the Million Dollar Belt gimmick, he could of run with that but instead bored everyone to death and thats why he's where he is at now. The guy has zero personality and isn't showing any signs of getting any, whether this is creatives fault or not I'm not really sure, but a good performer with charisma would shine through with even the shittest gimmicks.

· Registered
196 Posts
Last year I didn't really think much about Legacy but I thought that DiBiase would be the breakout simply because of his larger build.

This year I think DiBiase is a ludicrously bland wrestler and Rhodes as a rising star and someone to watch. It's kind of a shame that they seem to be taking Rhodes in a new direction. The Dashing gimmick was brilliant.

· Registered
484 Posts
Very good point OP. I think its ironic that Ted's gimmick with the million dollar belt started to go south once Cody's brother got involved. Once Golddust got involved, it took the edge of Dibiase. As good a worker as he is, Golddust turned the feud into more of a comedy angle and killed his buzz. I didnt like the way it was resolved either with Golddust just giving the belt back to the Million Dollar man on old school Raw, it just made the whole angle seem totally pointless.

· Registered
995 Posts
The Dashing gimmick is brilliant. The best thing about the narcissistic thing is that he isn't even a particularly handsome lad! But he's certainly got his mum's genes. Deffo not Dusty's, which went to Goldust. But the same eyes, no doubt.

Cody + Dusty = The US of A's answer to Jamie and Harry Redknapp.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.