Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if the ratings keep sliding...what’s the most extreme measure fox can take. Can they cancel the contract and get a refund? Screwing wwe hardcore and would be hilariously embarrassing for them since they would lose that tv spot and leave them without a tv home..meaning they would have to crawl back to USA and take much less money.

Can fox take over all creative control from wwe? Cancel smack down?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Re: What’s the worst possible outcome for smack down on fox if they keep getting low ratings? Can fox cancel contract?

I can see them moving back to USA or putting in on SyFy. Who cares I hope they get cancelled? I don't typically root for people to fail but it's WWE.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Re: What’s the worst possible outcome for smack down on fox if they keep getting low ratings? Can fox cancel contract?

Moved to Sunday where it gets constantly preempted by football baseball and NASCAR.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Probably can't get out the contract unless there's some clause, but they could keep moving timeslot, day etc until Vince wants out and they can reach an agreement.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
2,865 Posts

well i am not a tv exec so i dont know. but i guess once contract runs out they will definitely not re-sign and then sd! has to go back to usa.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

No. They are locked into a fixed term contract. I'd be shocked if there is an "out" for Fox to take. That contract is probably iron clad. They certainly can't demand their money back!

Again, I'll remind you that SmackDown is still getting acceptible ratings for a show that's as cheap as it is for Fox. The amount of money per hour that they're paying for SmackDown is incredibly cheap when compared to just about every other show that they're paying for.

·
Registered
327 Posts
well i am not a tv exec so i dont know. but i guess once contract runs out they will definitely not re-sign and then sd! has to go back to usa.
Assuming USA Network wants SmackDown back.

I don't think they can cancel SmackDown. I don't know what the contract is like, but I don't think it wouldn't be an easy overnight process.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

This is making the mighty assumption that Fox are unhappy. Unless I’ve missed something I haven’t seen anything to indicate they are, if anything it seems they have gone all in and are happy with exactly what they are getting. I mean I know if they have eggs on their faces they aren’t likely to start preaching it, but nothing is changing so logic says they’re fine.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

We don't know if Fox can get out of it or not. If they end up getting unhappy with the ratings, they'll probably move them to a less desirable time slot.

You would think with all the money they spent, Fox would of had people research and see how bad the WWE product is now. So that's on them if they don't like the drop in ratings.

·
Bury me one foot for every inch of heel she's wear
2,392 Posts

I cant believe how bad SD is considering how stacked they are... I actually enjoy RAW as its got more promos

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This is making the mighty assumption that Fox are unhappy. Unless I’ve missed something I haven’t seen anything to indicate they are, if anything it seems they have gone all in and are happy with exactly what they are getting. I mean I know if they have eggs on their faces they aren’t likely to start preaching it, but nothing is changing so logic says they’re fine.
Lots of reports saying fox is very mad at smack downs ratings. Which is they did things like give bray the belt, get Brock out and now singing punk. Pulling a .7 is pathetic given fox is free over the air and is in much more homes than USA was and getting basically same ratings.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Lots of reports saying fox is very mad at smack downs ratings. Which is they did things like give bray the belt, get Brock out and now singing punk. Pulling a .7 is pathetic given fox is free over the air and is in much more homes than USA was and getting basically same ratings.
I haven’t seen any reports with any substance, if there are then fair enough. But like I said in a thread before the reporters said Fox wanted a Sports orientated show and nothing has changed to prove that, as you said they asked for Bray over Brock. I just think a lot of assumptions are being made based on how people think Fox should feel, I’ve yet to see the reality.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If ratings continue and start to average below 2 million viewers. Fox and wwe will coordinate a major marketing plan to increase awareness and viewers. Fox will get a little more involved on wanting to start seeing scripts and action plans. They will probably test a different night. Which will cause Vince and Prichard to change how they handle Smackdown on their end.

If that doesn't work, to honor contract obligations. FS1 could be permanent channel, but outside of that. With all the money invested, their gonna try different fixture tactics before resorting to their final options.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts

FOX probably not terminated the contract but demoted to FS1 is certain.

·
Registered
14,593 Posts

I expect FOX to step in and demand Smackdown to be better. FOX invested into Smackdown so they're going to want the show to be as good as possible.

·
Registered
11,408 Posts
Where are these reports, legit sources not dirtsheets

SD has won 18-49 demo EACH WEEK since debuting on Fox. You claim something is pathetic yet American Housewife had 0.6, Fresh off the Boat had 0.5 on ABC, Magnum PI and Blue Bloods had 0.6 on CBS and blacklist had 0.5 on NBC, all new episodes. Friday isn't a night that younger folks watch tv

·
Registered
5,273 Posts

I am just speculating here.

Major networks like Fox can cancel any show (especially on prime time) if the ratings are too low. A content provider (WWE in this case) can't force a major TV network to keep their show in the air especially if its tanking and costing the network money.

I honestly believe that Smackdown won't deliver, and Fox will most likely cancel the deal they have with the WWE. When it happens is anyone's guess.

·
THE CORPOLUTIONSTRY
1,994 Posts

I don't know that Fox has anything better to put in that timeslot to drive viewers, so it's going to have to fall a long, long way for that to happen. RAW has been a consistently terrible nightmare show for actual years and have held around 2m viewers, so that is probably the floor for Smackdown, too. Until Fox has another show that can beat that number, it really won't matter.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

Friday isn't a night that younger folks watch tv
Well WWE isn't a show the younger folks watch, so its all good then

·
Asuka
96,502 Posts

I expect FOX to step in and demand Smackdown to be better. FOX invested into Smackdown so they're going to want the show to be as good as possible.
Get better how? Vince isn't giving up power, that's the only way. He'll let this deal be cancelled before he hands his show off to someone else.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts