1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
485 Posts
https://www.wrestlingforum.com/raw/1060073-cody-screwed-when-goldust-leaves-10.html#post78020272

Not allowed to bring up old threads that are now relevant apparently.

But, look at how many people hated on Cody back on then.

It's quite amazing to see how far Cody has come since those 6 years ago.

From "being screwed" to one of the most over faces in wrestling lmao.
People can grow. Just because he is good now it doesnt mean he was good or great then. He also wasnt in the correct position to really be utilized with his strengths which weren't nearly as visible as they are now.

He is very talented now and I am personally happy that I get to witness his best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
He's pretty good at everything, but truly exceptional at nothing. My view on him hasn't changed much. He was always good enough to be a champion in WWE, they just didn't like him for whatever reason.

The best run of his WWE career was probably when he was IC Champ. I thought he was set to become a big star, but they started jobbing him out.

·
Banned
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
People can grow. Just because he is good now it doesnt mean he was good or great then. He also wasnt in the correct position to really be utilized with his strengths which weren't nearly as visible as they are now.

He is very talented now and I am personally happy that I get to witness his best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more.

It's amazing to go back to a thread like that and see how things have changed.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
He's pretty good at everything, but truly exceptional at nothing. My view on him hasn't changed much. He was always good enough to be a champion in WWE, they just didn't like him for whatever reason.

The best run of his WWE career was probably when he was IC Champ. I thought he was set to become a big star, but they started jobbing him out.
He’s an exceptional character wrestler - the stories he tells are next level

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I'm one of the people who saw him as nothing more than a career midcarder... and if he stayed in WWE that's all he would have been because having seen what he's become it's clear now that WWE has no idea how to present people as stars. I've done a complete 180 on him. He is a legit main eventer now.

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,222 Posts
Cody should have at least 2 or 3 world title reigns. He's the biggest face in the sport today. I actually was one of the few who said he would be the one from Legacy over Ted Jr. to go on and have a career as a main eventer and world champion.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
https://www.wrestlingforum.com/raw/1060073-cody-screwed-when-goldust-leaves-10.html#post78020272

Not allowed to bring up old threads that are now relevant apparently.
But, look at how many people hated on Cody back on then.

It's quite amazing to see how far Cody has come since those 6 years ago.

From "being screwed" to one of the most over faces in wrestling lmao.
was he in wwe 6 years ago ? To bad fair wwe is a entire different place and most people dont come off as great because they stop people from being characters and force a continued style of brand throughout its roster. I would have hated him in wwe cus he would have been a snowflake.

Though he crys a lot about his family so hes a bit of a snowflake still LOL. But i respect all the work hes doing trying to make something happen for us

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My biggest problem with Cody was thay he seemed average at everything.

He now seems to be much more well rounded.
The thing is a normal person in a group of giants looks small, in a group of midgets, he is the giant. And for me this is 100% matching Cody for me.

Just because he created an environment around him, which makes him look better, doesnt mean he is better.

·
Premium Member
4,078 Posts
I guarantee when Steve Austin started as Ted Dibiases Ringmaster everyone thought he was nothing, then look what happened a few years later.

Not saying Cody is the next Austin but time is a major factor with these things.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The thing is a normal person in a group of giants looks small, in a group of midgets, he is the giant. And for me this is 100% matching Cody for me.

Just because he created an environment around him, which makes him look better, doesnt mean he is better.
In this forum you consistently find out new ways to spell stupid...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
In this forum you consistently find out new ways to spell stupid...
So you call me stupid for my opinion? Thats classy.

But just look at the facts, in WWE Cody was what? like one in 20 people with the overall stats he had. Now there are only 2 or 3 singles wrestler which are the same or better. Which by default make him better, even without him actually being better.

And honestly when he came out to his theme at All-In I got goosebumps. But after three matches the Cody character just got stale FOR ME. He always could talk, so nothing changed there, but take away the blading in the match against Dustin, what do you have? A normal match. Take away all the spotlight and promos for the Jericho match, what do you have? A normal match. So all he does now compared to his WWE time is he gets more time and is presented as a big player, so basically Cody didnt change, he now gets shown more prominently.

But yeah I know I´m stupid.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Cody should have at least 2 or 3 world title reigns. He's the biggest face in the sport today. I actually was one of the few who said he would be the one from Legacy over Ted Jr. to go on and have a career as a main eventer and world champion.
So was I. He should have been a main eventer with the Disfigured gimmick, but then they made him generic again for no reason, had him lose to everyone, gave him a mustache gimmick, he continued losing to everyone before turning face, gained momentum, and they "capitalized" by making him Stardust (which came off as a ripoff of his older brother's gimmick), then turning him heel, and having him lose to everyone again. Cody was always a good wrestler, but his booking was terrible throughout (he was booked the strongest in his run by far when he was extremely generic, had a generic theme, and was teaming with Bob Holly!) and outside of the Dashing and Disfigured gimmicks, either had no gimmick or terrible gimmicks (Stardust, mustache). It's no surprise that he's been a big deal in ROH, Japan, and AEW since leaving WWE, as he's actually been used to his full potential in those places.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
So you call me stupid for my opinion? Thats classy.

But just look at the facts, in WWE Cody was what? like one in 20 people with the overall stats he had. Now there are only 2 or 3 singles wrestler which are the same or better. Which by default make him better, even without him actually being better.

And honestly when he came out to his theme at All-In I got goosebumps. But after three matches the Cody character just got stale FOR ME. He always could talk, so nothing changed there, but take away the blading in the match against Dustin, what do you have? A normal match. Take away all the spotlight and promos for the Jericho match, what do you have? A normal match. So all he does now compared to his WWE time is he gets more time and is presented as a big player, so basically Cody didnt change, he now gets shown more prominently.

But yeah I know I´m stupid.
It is NOT an opinion, it's a false and ignorant statement, so yes, on this I do call you stupid, you're 100% right.

He is GREAT storyteller, his match with Darby, Dustin, Jericho the reason they are all great is because he is a masterful storyteller, he doesn't go 1000 miles an hour or jumps around everywhere, everything he does has a purpose and creates emotional investment.

Your point is completely moot when you see the fact guys like Bryan and Punk "midgets" that thrived in this so called land of the giants and was the most over people at the height of their career are the biggest stars WWE have had since Cena and most will probably say they even surpassed Cena in popularity, Bryan never had longevity because of what happened, but he was by far the hottest act since Punk and there isn't a close second.

Cody never got a real chance in WWE to shine, when he had a half interesting character like Dashing Cody Rhodes he was never used for anything, then they turned him into a joke like Stardust, he was never treated like a main even player, never treated like someone that could become something but there were people that saw potential in him. If you also add up the facts that so many people going into WWE with so much hype behind them and amounting to nothing after being AMAZING everywhere else should make you put 1 and 1 together and get two, WWE is the issue, not the talent.

Another example is people LEAVING WWE, Cody is by far not the first to get massive success and become interesting/compelling/great after leaving. Juice Robinson, Pac, Mox and I am sure I am forgetting a lot, the only real "failure" in my OPINION that hasn't lived up to what some thought he could is Shawn Spears and he has been given the same chance to get over as everybody else in AEW, is not booked like a joke and wasn't introduced as one, he has just not been able to connect with people from what I can tell.

Maybe stupid was wrong, maybe you're just ignorant and don't understand how things go together, to be stupid you have to first understand how things work and then deny it, so might have jumped the gun. You were, however, absolutely factually wrong with your comment regardless of stupidity or ignorance.

I didn't even bother touching on this, but if you take away all the ingredients from a match/character that makes it/them compelling whether it's the promo's, the wrestling, the spots/whatever then EVERYTHING becomes boring. In your "logic" I can just take out everything about the rock that made him compelling and ask you the same idiotic question of what do you have left when you strip him of everything that made him special? I am leaning more towards my original thought of stupidity at this point because this is too basic.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It is NOT an opinion, it's a false and ignorant statement, so yes, on this I do call you stupid, you're 100% right.
And that is your opinion, still I dont call you stupid for that, because you can have a different opinion

He is GREAT storyteller, his match with Darby, Dustin, Jericho the reason they are all great is because he is a masterful storyteller, he doesn't go 1000 miles an hour or jumps around everywhere, everything he does has a purpose and creates emotional investment.
That again is your opinion. I dont see him as a great storyteller. As I said, take away the blood the match was mediocre with Dustin. The Darby match was good because of Darby, to be honest. And for me the match with Jericho was nothing different to the match with Dustin, just changed blood for betrayal. And this is my opinion, but again I guess this is stupid.

Your point is completely moot when you see the fact guys like Bryan and Punk "midgets" that thrived in this so called land of the giants and was the most over people at the height of their career are the biggest stars WWE have had since Cena and most will probably say they even surpassed Cena in popularity, Bryan never had longevity because of what happened, but he was by far the hottest act since Punk and there isn't a close second.

Cody never got a real chance in WWE to shine, when he had a half interesting character like Dashing Cody Rhodes he was never used for anything, then they turned him into a joke like Stardust, he was never treated like a main even player, never treated like someone that could become something but there were people that saw potential in him. If you also add up the facts that so many people going into WWE with so much hype behind them and amounting to nothing after being AMAZING everywhere else should make you put 1 and 1 together and get two, WWE is the issue, not the talent.
Honestly you are countering your own statement. Because the midgets like Punk and Bryan did, what Cody couldnt. Connect to the audience and make them like them for what they are, even in medicre segments and with not much chance given. Cody, even with the Rhodes last name was never seen as a success by the fans. Honestly, Bryan hugging it out, Punk having "shave your head" stipulations and still both grew into main eventers themselves because THE AUDIENCE loved both, not so much for Cody. And that is a fact, because I never saw the crowd give Cody a reaction, besides in tag matches with Dustin or in the faction with Orton.

Although you are right, Cody was never given the opportunity, the two others you mentioned also didnt get it, but still succeeded. That is the difference.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts