Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Of the 3 face the company has had since the 80's, Hogan, Austin and Cena, both Hogan and Cena have been known to have looked after their buddies and made sure they got or are given a push. With Hogan you had Brutus and the Nasty Boys. Atm, Big E is getting a nice little push due to his buddy, not to mention Cena's current gf is getting a nice push of her own. I haven't heard of any stories about Austin doing this type of thing, has anyone else?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Did Austin even have any backstage buddies? He has a lot of wrestlers on his podcast and seems cool with everyone but he dosnt seem like the guy you can spend a Sunday at Disneyland with.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Yeah I think back then Austin was more concerned with protecting his spot more than anything else really. Also, how are you gonna include a "face of the company" list and not include the Rock? Even if you think Austin was better.... there's no denying how massively over the Rock was back then too.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I think back then Austin was more concerned with protecting his spot more than anything else really. Also, how are you gonna include a "face of the company" list and not include the Rock? Even if you think Austin was better.... there's no denying how massively over the Rock was back then too.
As big as he was, he was never considered the face of the company. If you can make a case for Rock you can make one for HHH and Taker as well.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
As big as he was, he was never considered the face of the company. If you can make a case for Rock you can make one for HHH and Taker as well.
Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree, but after the Rock won the title, the WWF quickly beat WCW in the Monday Night wars, the guy transcended pop culture in a way that even Austin has not been able to do (and that's not dissing Austin either), he'd get an insane reaction from raising his eye brow, him and Mick Foley were in the highest rated segment ever, he'd literally get the whole crowd involved with his promo's, all while not doing the usual politics and he'd actually put over guys. His reaction and ratings for me, at least definitely make him a face of the company.

·
L’APPEL DU VIDE
5,458 Posts

Well not in the media/brand ambassador etc aspect he wasn't but Stone Cold is the face of the Attitude Era and in that time was the face of wrestling as a whole.

How you could make more of a case for Triple H than Austin is baffling.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well not in the media/brand ambassador etc aspect he wasn't but Stone Cold is the face of the Attitude Era and in that time was the face of wrestling as a whole.

How you could make more of a case for Triple H than Austin is baffling.
Baffling indeed considering thats not what i said.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Yeah, he really seemed to like working with his buddy The Rock. Incidentally, all the times they worked with each other, they also made a TON of money for WWE, so it worked out pretty well.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
no, Austin doesn't strike me as that guy who would go all out for someone, I picture him having a tough mentality were wrestling is a tough business and only the tough and strong survive, and according to a lot of wrestlers he was a cool guy but it takes a while to get to know him because most of the time he keeps to himself, not that anything is wrong with that, in fact I respect him to have that kind of integrity and principle

and may I add that The Rock was indeed the face of the company from 00-02 ? look at his booking, his marketing, and his overness, no way a guy who isn't a poster boy would acquire the three.. you could argue that he shared the spotlight with Austin but it doesn't change the fact that he was the top face in wrestling at the time, especially in 01 where he was all over the mainstream media

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Who was in his kliq?

·
Banned
473 Posts
Yeah, I think Austin never really had any good friends like Hogan, Bret, Shawn/HHH, Cena etc.

Rock also never did that. He had his family Rikishi but that was it.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
You guys also have to remember that Austin's wife was traveling with him the whole time, from '99 on. Probably another reason why he didn't have a kliq of buddies. He was hanging with her the whole time.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
55,608 Posts
He was a loner. Which has it's positives and negatives in the locker room.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Rock was the face of the company after Austin injury in 99. Everything was Rock this Rock that. He was on commercials, covers, posters, commercials everything. Smackdown named after him, video game series named after him ect ect. Add to the fact he was already in mainstream media, hosting SNL, and getting a job as the Scorpion King. IF you think WWF didn't capitalize and put him in Triple H's category LMFAO at you.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Uh what? Rock was THE guy post 1999. There's no mistaking that. Rock was getting gigs hosting SNL and speaking at Presidential national conventions.. That's stuff Hogan and Austin were never able to do and Cena could only dream of doing. You can't downplay the magnitude of Rock's popularity. Comparing him to HHH and Taker is laughable.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
who did cena have pushed?

Rock was the face of the company after Austin injury in 99. Everything was Rock this Rock that. He was on commercials, covers, posters, commercials everything. Smackdown named after him, video game series named after him ect ect. Add to the fact he was already in mainstream media, hosting SNL, and getting a job as the Scorpion King. IF you think WWF didn't capitalize and put him in Triple H's category LMFAO at you.
yes this is extremely relevant to whatever the fuck this thread is about

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you talk about the faces of the company over the 40 yrs there are 4 main names

Bruno
Hogan
Austin
Cena

No one's disputing Rock's star power, just his status as an official face of the company, which he never was

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
When you talk about the faces of the company over the 40 yrs there are 4 main names

Bruno
Hogan
Austin
Cena

No one's disputing Rock's star power, just his status as an official face of the company, which he never was
And how do you do this exactly. I would like to know the process in which you describe.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts