Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
No Mercy
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I missed out on wrestling between late 2011 - late 2015, I've been catching up on a lot of stuff I missed out on through the WWE Network. I'm going through the year 2014 (which many seem to like), and I've got to the part where Batista quit, and Rollins eventually turned heel on his Shield partners Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose. Maybe it didn't seem like it at the time, but were the faction split up too quickly or was it the right time? I've got a sense that it was maybe a bit too soon, but again - probably didn't feel like it at the time for many. However in hindsight, was there more they could have offered? Any more feuds? etc. Discuss.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The mic of the Shield was Ambrose, if they lasted a couple of years more it would be more difficult and weird the transition of Rollins and Reigns being more pushed than him.

·
Super Moderator
25,840 Posts
Yeah, they definitely were imo. Crowds were still hot for them and weren't sick of them at all, they could've easily gotten at least another 6 months out of them. Would've been interesting to see which Shield member wins the world title 1st and how the other two handle it. Missed a good storyline opportunity there. And the way they broke up was silly after domination Evolution the night before.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
It felt abrupt as they had just finished beating evolution. they were at their peak. and had a ready made feud with the Wyatt family still not fully fleshed out that they could have built about 3 ppvs around.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
No. They broke up at there hottest and I'm not sure they would be as succesful as singles if it wasnt for that. Plus the wwe needed big singles stars at that time with Punk quitting and Bryan being out with an injury. Id say they broke up at the perfect time. They did the 6 man with wyatts,evolution and every combo of wrestlers there was. Nothing left for them to do

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
I reckon so. They had a very short face run, only a few months. I would have liked to have seen it last just a tad longer. Seth still could have turned on them, but just later on in 2014 perhaps.

But then again, they would probably have run out of heels to feud with quite quickly. But maybe it's just my Shield fangirl side coming out cos I didn't want them to split, even though I adored Dean & Seth's feud afterwards.

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
From 199 to the greatest of all time.
3,654 Posts
I personally believe they were split too early. They had just turned face and begun a hell of a babyface run. The Shield would have been better served staying together for a bit longer before having their eventual split, IMO. In addition, I think they turned the wrong guy in Seth Rollins; either of the other two would have been better choices, IMO.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Yes and no.

No in the sense there was really nothing left for them to do as the Shield. They had beaten everyone on the roster. Seth and Dean have both said this in their interviews with Jericho. Yes in the sense that, second to Daniel Bryan at the time, they the most over guys on roster. So maybe a couple more months as babyfaces would've been good. But I think the break up was fine for Seth and Dean. It hurt Roman the most as his weaknesses were no longer hidden.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
They turned the wrong member. It should have been Roman instead of Seth. From kayfabe point Roman would have made more sense. He was a homegrown talent whereas both Seth and Dean came from the indy scene and both were smaller in stature which was the issue HHH had against Bryan. But from Vince's perspective he wanted Roman as his next top babyface whether he was ready or not. But Roman being anti authority was as rediculous as Cena being anti authority.

·
Moxley Fanatic
922 Posts
I think they split too early. they really had something going there as faces after having been heels for a while. would they each have been successful as singles competitors while still being a team? we'll never know.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
They hypothetically could have squeezed out a few more months as a trio, but the lemon would soon be dry, imo. As a unit, they'd washed one of the most decorated and acclaimed stables of all time in Evolution. There was nowhere else for them to go as a group and after a couple of months, many would have been calling then stale and softly yearning for a split. I think the split was timed correctly as they were still loved but got out if the act before fans had time to call for a shakeup. The biggest issue with the split was that they turned the wrong man heel. It was for shock value, because everything up until that point alluded to Roman being Evolution & HHH's target.

·
Doki Doki Literature Club!
537 Posts
Yes and no, since both The Shield and The Wyatt Family could've had a few more PPV matches in 2014, but then again... The Shield clean sweeped Evolution at Payback so the stable sat at the top of the mountain with not much to do or prove (for that matter). :quite

Roman Reigns or Dean Ambrose, instead of Seth Rollins, should've turned "Heel" honestly, but whatever. Overall, The Shield splitting up in 2014 allowed me to witness the awesome fued between Ambrose and Rollins so I can't complain too much. :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
18,164 Posts
I was talking about this with my friend the other day before the SD show and I would have to say yes. For all the reunion crap they pull with these guys it's easy to forget they were only a team on the MR for a year and a half. They just accomplished so much in such a short timespan it's unreal.

But prior to the breakup they just turnt face and had a bit of momentum going for them again after a few months in a lul period. I reckon they could have pushed the team out till the end of 2014 at least

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
No. They broke up at there hottest and I'm not sure they would be as succesful as singles if it wasnt for that. Plus the wwe needed big singles stars at that time with Punk quitting and Bryan being out with an injury. Id say they broke up at the perfect time. They did the 6 man with wyatts,evolution and every combo of wrestlers there was. Nothing left for them to do
If what the former shield members are doing right now is "success" I don't want to know what failure would of been. They have been absolutely abysmal since the break up other than a few bright spots for Rollins during his heel run.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
It's a complex question.

There was still more to milk from The Shield, in terms of things like merchandise. They were one of the most over acts at the time and they weren't getting stale. But there is a "yes" in there, as they didn't really have anyone to feud with. I mean, they could have done more with The Wyatt Family, but at some point, you needed to get them into different roles. They just haven't been the success stories -- to the extent that the WWE would like -- on their own. They're all treated like success stories though.

Personally, I think it would be fine to put them back together. You need some sort of force to give them a reason to fight on the side of good again. I don't know if you pluck SAnitY from NXT, put some enemies of each Shield member together (Braun Strowman, The Miz and Bray Wyatt seem like...odd bedfellows) or what. But I think it would serve everybody best.

Roman Reigns, ironically, needs it the least now. Ambrose and Rollins are the dudes sort of struggling. Rollins has got the well-roundedness to recover as long as he's got an opponent people are interested in. I'm just not feeling Ambrose right now. Maybe a rivalry between the two is the best direction to take them? Ambrose just cannot let go of his hate for Rollins, and turns on him? That gives Ambrose a big refresh, allows him to go back to being a bit of a lunatic (except this time one you can't trust), and allows Rollins and Ambrose to have another series more in the vein of their FCW modern classics.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Seth Rollins - baby face who gets injured everyday and sucks at being a baby face

Dean Ambrose - baby face, that acts more like a child then someone who is on the "lunatic fringe", very cringeworthy

Roman Reigns - hated by anyone whose balls have dropped, despised and total flop yet the biggest push in modern wrestling history.

Definitely a success story breaking them up.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Nope. They beat Evolution twice in back to back ppv's. There was literally nothing left for them. No team would be credible enough to take them on.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I wish they had done a proper feud with the Wyatts and that led to the downfall of The Shield. It would put Bray over at least. Plus, it would make sense to have Rollins betray them after a loss and not when they're at the top, and then call it an "evolution" of Seth Rollins.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts