Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strowman takes a lot of spears from Goldberg. Then powerslams Goldberg a lot and pins him. First world title reign.

Mcintyre takes a lot of F5s from Lesnar. Then Claymores Lesnar a lot and pins him. First world title reign.

Yes there were small variations if we nitpick, but by having both Strowman and Mcintyre go over in similar fashion for their first title reigns, are they finally signifying a long term change in guard?

Could today's extended epilogue to Mcintyre's Mania moment mean that Mcintyre and Strowman have finally supplanted Reigns and Rollins as the #1 and #2 a la Cena and Batista?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Rollins was never that high in vaule, OP. Reigns, maybe, but his cancerous past and the corona pandemic are what's been holding him back for years now. That, and fans not liking him because he's not some fat manlet with an average look.

·
Baby Yoda
29,550 Posts
Neither are anywhere as popular as the other two nor do I see them staying on top.

They're going to be used as a buffer until the other two back are on top.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Pretty much, yeah. Strowman kicked out of three Spears and won with four Running Powerslams, whereas McIntyre kicked out of three F5’s and won with four Claymore Kicks. Both were fairly lackluster World Title Matches but we’re giving giving them passes because the right men won. The two full-timers went over the two part-timers at The Showcase of the Immortals. Aside from all that, the only difference seems to be that one main evented WrestleMania: Part 2 and the other didn’t main event WrestleMania: Part 1. Overall, I was satisfied with the fact that The Chosen One fulfilled his prophecy as a future World Heavyweight Champion as well as the fact that The Monster Among Men got his hands on The Championship Among Universes. Plus, it was nice to see Goldberg and Lesnar on the receiving end of squashes on the same weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Yep.
Brock and Goldberg both have larger than life personalities. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't have been champs at this time - but they're both great, great presence, and ooze charisma in front of a big crowd. Having them in a high profile match in an empty arena really takes away from their presentation. I think both matches would have been a lot better in front of fans.

The whole 'finisher spam' may not be very popular, but the only real positive about it usually is the crazy crowd reactions after each finisher. Without that, it doesn't pack the same punch.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,440 Posts
It's a hard no for me on changing of the guard. I don't think either are above Roman or Seth. Drew McIntyre feels like an experiment and/or transitional champion who was used to quickly freshen up the main event scene and give us a new match for Brock. I think even WWE are bored of Seth vs Brock and Roman vs Brock at this point. Who else was there really? Got to keep in mind Strowman was never supposed to be the champion, he is just there because Roman cannot. He didn't even have a WM match 1 week ago.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Absolutely not.

It was done to placate the two old champions. One who was never able to create a good match in the first place and nearly killed a guy trying to do his real finisher a few months ago. And the other who didn't want to be there in the first place was just going through the motions so he could get the hell out of there.

It was two old guys who didn't care about putting on a good show, but fulfilled their required duties to get paid their ludicrous salaries. Hmmm.....sounds exactly like WM20

·
Registered
23,382 Posts
Well with Goldberg, it's literally the only style of match he can do at this stage of his career.

With Brock, it's just the match he's used to since 2014. He physically can do a lot more, but he's found his bread and butter, and for the most part he sticks to it.

In the future, probably not a good idea to have 2 guys like that in your 2 World Title matches. Also, probably not a good idea to have Goldberg as champion at all.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In terms of both matches being asinine finisher spammers, then yes. In terms of changing the guard, not in the slightest.

Braun might as well should tattoo "transitional champ" on his back because that's what he is. Just another way to give Reigns the belt.

Drew, on the other hand, is going to be ruined by awful booking to the point where we'll be begging for a new champion to get said awful booking.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I keep saying, put it on Corbin and let him have a JBL type run.

Corbin is no JBL although I will say this, I was at a show in December and Corbin really got a reaction and some serious heat. I'm not opposed to putting the WWE or Universal title on him at some point in the near future. When Corbin and Reigns had that no DQ WWE title match on Raw about a year and half ago, I wasn't opposed having Corbin pin Reigns to win the WWE title.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts