Wrestling Forum banner

221 - 240 of 616 Posts

·
Administrator
501 Posts
Could you guys not have updated the software in the background to streamline it without changing the user interface?

This stupid Facebook change for the sake of change thing in the tech industry drives users away to new products.
Unfortunately, that was not an option, we had to adhere to Google's requirements for being mobile-friendly and search indexing best practices.

https://www.morriscreative.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-googles-new-mobile-friendly-website-requirements/

Jeff M

·
EXCELSIOR!
16,054 Posts
Definitely prefer dark mode in comparison. The layout isn't my cup of tea, especially in regard to avys and sigs, but it's not a deal breaker. Although I can see myself getting used to it in a few days to a week or so, the lack of rep is a buzzkill, since I "Likes" are an unimaginative and monotonous alternative.

·
Registered
9,623 Posts

·
Administrator
501 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. So basically fuck Google ?

May already have been covered somewhere, but is there a plan to bring back gif smilies?
The current smilies or emotes are what we have for now and Animated gif's not working on posts bug should be fixed tomorrow.

example:

Jeff M

·
International Purveyor Of Violence
2,417 Posts
Pros:

Had no issue logging in and the site still remembered my information.
No lost posts.
Photos I uploaded are still available in albums.
Navigation is smooth enough I suppose, easily found my favorite sub-forums (hello Wrestling Fantasy Games). The Facebook-lite appearance however is pretty uninspiring.

Cons:

No chatbox. Discord is fine but it's a pain in the ass to toggle back and forth between tabs. Sigs are botched all to hell. IIRC, animated sigs and chatbox were 90% of the reason to purchase a Premium Membership. Overall, I don't see much distinction between a regular or Premium membership, atm.

Rep is gone, and with it a fun and unique feature of the site. I expect the most virulent of trolls to run wild. Part of the beauty of this community was it's ability to self-moderate, and cull the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Admins and mods might have their hands full in the coming weeks with newcomers pushing the boundaries.

Additionally, there should be some way to reward users who offer substantive, interesting, and consistent discussion. As of now there is nothing to distinguish one poster from another. Top Contributors is a nice touch but it doesn't go far enough imo.

·
Administrator
501 Posts
Pros:

Had no issue logging in and the site still remembered my information.
No lost posts.
Photos I uploaded are still available in albums.
Navigation is smooth enough I suppose, easily found my favorite sub-forums (hello Wrestling Fantasy Games). The Facebook-lite appearance however is pretty uninspiring.

Cons:

No chatbox. Discord is fine but it's a pain in the ass to toggle back and forth between tabs. Sigs are botched all to hell. IIRC, animated sigs and chatbox were 90% of the reason to purchase a Premium Membership. Overall, I don't see much distinction between a regular or Premium membership, atm.

Rep is gone, and with it a fun and unique feature of the site. I expect the most virulent of trolls to run wild. Part of the beauty of this community was it's ability to self-moderate, and cull the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Admins and mods might have their hands full in the coming weeks with newcomers pushing the boundaries.

Additionally, there should be some way to reward users who offer substantive, interesting, and consistent discussion. As of now there is nothing to distinguish one poster from another. Top Contributors is a nice touch but it doesn't go far enough imo.
Good, solid, constructive feedback, thanks for sharing.

I will log it with the design teams as we are releasing weekly updates based upon user feedback.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Hi Gerrit,

I'm not going to bother you with complaints people have already made, mine is more specific. Since the forum has changed, it won't recognize my account, I'm currently on an alt. I forgot my password (normally kept signed in) and have tried to reset the password several times yet the site now does not recognize the email address.

Also the whole process of resetting passwords is buggy, I had to do it for this account just to be able to post again.

If you could fix this issue that would be great, I'm willing to PM you with my account details.

Thanks.
If you have not sorted this with OG Jeff, let me know and I can help :)

Have you ever seen a software upgrade before? There are always people who bitch about it at first, it's not what they're accustomed to, it doesn't have this one feature, blah blah blah. After a while people get used to it. The guy who invented vBulletin switched his forum over to XenForo because it's better.

Exactly. When I get a notification I want to be able to click some notification icon and the dropdown menu to say "WrestlingFan69 has liked your post in the thread We Are Live..." or whatever. Then I can click it and go straight to the post.
To clarify, (because I'd rather build this exactly as you want it rather than wasting time building something that you hate) are you looking to get the same exact information as the Alert tab here? or Alert and Conversation? or a new menu to aggregate new data in this place?

Give me a moment to catch up to see if I can assist anywhere that Jeff may have missed.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
22,678 Posts
Have looked through some of the site, some questions and concerns:

*Eventually need to bring some color in here as far as the background. Light and Dark don't really do it for me. I always used the Grey/Blue or Grey/Red options in the past.

*I know the original reply window had shortcuts to post tweets, youtube videos, spoiler tags, etc. I would hope those eventually return. I mean unless I'm missing something the only reply space you have is at the bottom of the page. Before you would go to a new page to post your Reply, which I honestly preferred.

*I assume there is a way to see your notifications like Likes, Quotes, etc., correct?

*The format of the site has to change eventually in my eyes. The original format was very breathable, for a lack of a better term. Everything felt more open. It was more colorful. It had features like being able to see the last thread posted in for each section. Right now the whole format just seems so crammed and generic.

*This is more just an observation. I never had a GIF for an Avitar or Signature, so personally I don't care much for that. But at the same time it did allow this place to have a lot more personality compared to other forum sites I've seen. And I think that's the biggest thing missing with this update, personality. The old site may not have been perfect, but it felt like it had personality, as weird as that is to say. I'm not seeing that so far, and I know that will take time.

·
Bleep, bloop, bloam, goodbye to your home.
7,711 Posts
So just to clarify.

Chatbox is never coming back? Or chatbox isn't coming back right now but might come back later date?

Enabling search inside threads is crucial especially for mafia players.

·
Administrator
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Admin please enable searching within threads. This is essential to a large group of members within the forum
As mentioned, I can bring this forward to development to see if this functionality can be brought out without breaking anything to drastically.

Have looked through some of the site, some questions and concerns:

*Eventually need to bring some color in here as far as the background. Light and Dark don't really do it for me. I always used the Grey/Blue or Grey/Red options in the past.

*I know the original reply window had shortcuts to post tweets, youtube videos, spoiler tags, etc. I would hope those eventually return. I mean unless I'm missing something the only reply space you have is at the bottom of the page. Before you would go to a new page to post your Reply, which I honestly preferred.

*I assume there is a way to see your notifications like Likes, Quotes, etc., correct?

*The format of the site has to change eventually in my eyes. The original format was very breathable, for a lack of a better term. Everything felt more open. It was more colorful. It had features like being able to see the last thread posted in for each section. Right now the whole format just seems so crammed and generic.

*This is more just an observation. I never had a GIF for an Avitar or Signature, so personally I don't care much for that. But at the same time it did allow this place to have a lot more personality compared to other forum sites I've seen. And I think that's the biggest thing missing with this update, personality. The old site may not have been perfect, but it felt like it had personality, as weird as that is to say. I'm not seeing that so far, and I know that will take time.
*Colour is always nice, but currently we're just working with light or dark mode, more MAY be developed down the road
*Tweets, videos, GIFs, and images can all be embedded directly into the text (See post #3 for examples) without needing that and we do have the spoiler function still
And this is the icon
Further advanced text options may be developed in the future, but you have a lot already at your disposal
*Quote notification and others can all be set in your preferences, and all viewed under your alerts
*Can you explain what/where you would like to breathe more in the lay out?
*I have been busy following up and running around to get the GIF thing looked at, and with enough coffee we hope to crack this for y'all soon

So just to clarify.

Chatbox is never coming back? Or chatbox isn't coming back right now but might come back later date?

Enabling search inside threads is crucial especially for mafia players.
Chatbox is currently not available. This software is a custom version of a software package, so to say anything is ever off the table is not always going to be true. It just may take time to develop, test and implement and we appreciate your patience as we work through those steps for you.

Unfortunately the only current way I can search within any thread is with the trusty Ctrl/Command + F function... Hope to find a more satisfying solution for you.

-Gerrit

·
Bleep, bloop, bloam, goodbye to your home.
7,711 Posts
Chatbox is currently not available. This software is a custom version of a software package, so to say anything is ever off the table is not always going to be true. It just may take time to develop, test and implement and we appreciate your patience as we work through those steps for you.

Unfortunately the only current way I can search within any thread is with the trusty Ctrl/Command + F function... Hope to find a more satisfying solution for you.

-Gerrit
Aslong it doesn't take 10 years i think we'll be fine.

As for the search thing, that hopefully get resolved quick. I find it strange how new upgrade can't handle some of the things older layout had.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Why is everything just xs on the reply field?
Can you explain what you mean by this?

Aslong it doesn't take 10 years i think we'll be fine.

As for the search thing, that hopefully get resolved quick. I find it strange how new upgrade can't handle some of the things older layout had.

Cheers.
10 years? I'd rather it not.
The fundamental foundation these sites are built on are different. This one is based in security, so even getting it this far has been work. Checking the Release notes section lets you know how much progress we're making, and how much further we'll take this for y'all :)

-Gerrit

·
Steady as she goes
5,261 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by this?

10 years? I'd rather it not.
The fundamental foundation these sites are built on are different. This one is based in security, so even getting it this far has been work. Checking the Release notes section lets you know how much progress we're making, and how much further we'll take this for y'all :)

-Gerrit
Thank you for looking into the search function. It is a mandatory function in the mafia section which gets A LOT of traffic. If it is not possible we need to know so that we can look elswhere.

221 - 240 of 616 Posts