Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Goldberg: "That was Hogan and that was Nash playing their own little games against the wrestling world and they were emphamize for doing that."

Hulk Hogan: "Kevin Nash and I came up with this big scam within the NWO to fool everybody that business wise the finger poke of doom seemed like a great idea but at the end of the day that was a horrible idea."

Kevin Nash: "You can say it killed the business. It did this it did that I mean I didn't set the pieces in place. I just tried to make it make sense. There was no way to make it make sense."

Bill Apter: "Nash just laying down come on pin me that was one of the ends of that real era of WCW. People looked at that and just go what are these guys doing"?

50:14-51:08

·
Registered
395 Posts
Simple.

WCW wanted Goldberg to have a run with the title. Hogan agreed on the condition that the title was returned in 6 months time or less. Nash was promoted as one of the head bookers, and wanted to be the one who finally ended Goldberg's streak, which he did at Starrcade.

So Nash won the title at the end of December, and under the legal agreement Hogan had written in his contract, he was to be given the belt back on, or before January 6, 1999. Nash, not wanting to look weak, probably got together with Hogan and Bischoff, and devised a plan that would have given Hogan the belt, made Nash not look weak or be beaten clean. The solution they came up with, was the fingerpoke of doom.

The big problem is WCW had advertised on the prior Nitro that a rematch of Starrcade between Nash and Goldberg would take place at the Georgia Dome. When that did not happen, the fans were pissed off. Even worse, the substitute match (Hogan vs Nash), was a lame finish that angered the fans even more. So 40,000 people left the arena feeling ripped off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nash was very over at the time, really over, I didnt have any real problem with him being the man to break the streak

But putting the belt back on Hogan was a very bad idea as he was getting staler all the time, I mean it's not like Hogan ever put himself into contention by beating a host of opponents was it?
I have no problem with Hogan naturally wanting to preserve his legacy and his spot but ultimately it wasnt good for business, WCW or wrestling in general

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple.

WCW wanted Goldberg to have a run with the title. Hogan agreed on the condition that the title was returned in 6 months time or less. Nash was promoted as one of the head bookers, and wanted to be the one who finally ended Goldberg's streak, which he did at Starrcade.

So Nash won the title at the end of December, and under the legal agreement Hogan had written in his contract, he was to be given the belt back on, or before January 6, 1999. Nash, not wanting to look weak, probably got together with Hogan and Bischoff, and devised a plan that would have given Hogan the belt, made Nash not look weak or be beaten clean. The solution they came up with, was the fingerpoke of doom.

The big problem is WCW had advertised on the prior Nitro that a rematch of Starrcade between Nash and Goldberg would take place at the Georgia Dome. When that did not happen, the fans were pissed off. Even worse, the substitute match (Hogan vs Nash), was a lame finish that angered the fans even more. So 40,000 people left the arena feeling ripped off.
Only reason Eric Bischoff took the belt off of Goldberg was because Kevin Nash politic'd and since Eric was "tight" with Nash he agreed to put the belt on him and plus Kevin Nash had creative control so that was another reason.

Hulk Hogan wanted to be the one to take it off of Goldberg, but Kevin Nash beat him to the punch because Hogan and Bischoff agreed to put the belt back on Hogan later because he was supposed to get his win back. So instead of it being Hulk Hogan vs Goldberg in a rematch it instead became Kevin Nash vs Hulk Hogan which ultimately led to the finger poke of doom. Giving away Mick Foley's WWF title win was another dumb decision by Eric and it ended up costing Nitro 500,000 viewers who switched from Nitro to Raw.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
ugh wcw was so great yet so stupid sometimes.

nwo had run it's course by 98 and instead of ending it all together they split. i know there are some Wolfpack fans out there and yes they were popular and what not, but it should not have existed, and given that it only existed for a few months made it meaningless. Sting being part of any nwo was not smart.

Bret should have been the guy to end Goldbergs streak and win the title at starcade 98.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
ugh wcw was so great yet so stupid sometimes.

nwo had run it's course by 98 and instead of ending it all together they split. i know there are some Wolfpack fans out there and yes they were popular and what not, but it should not have existed, and given that it only existed for a few months made it meaningless. Sting being part of any nwo was not smart.

Bret should have been the guy to end Goldbergs streak and win the title at starcade 98.
The Wolfpac were massively over, as was Nash.

98 should have been the year for the NWO to split, but I don't have a problem with them being 2 feuding sides. Add Raven's Flock,The Horsemen and a potential Hart Dungeon and they could have had a great faction war in 98.

·
Registered
395 Posts

98 should have been the year for the NWO to split, but I don't have a problem with them being 2 feuding sides. Add Raven's Flock,The Horsemen and a potential Hart Dungeon and they could have had a great faction war in 98.
They really dropped the ball on a Hart Foundation faction. They could have called them the "Stampeders" considering most trained or competed in Stampede Wrestling. Bret Hart, the British Bulldog, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, and Jim Neidhart. They could have even brang in Lance Storm.

This faction made far more sense than two nWo groups (only one elite nWo group was necessary), the Latino World Order, or Raven's flock.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

i know the wolpack was super over, but long term, wasn't a great idea. like i said it only lasted a few months anyway. to me it would have been better to end the nwo or at the very least just keep the original but have Nash and a few others break away. having 90% of your roster be part of an nwo faction was not smart to me especially having Sting there which to me made little sense.

a Hart faction could have been really good. would have been a little similar to 97 but thats ok lol. just another thing they messed up with when it came to Bret

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I’m not a fan of Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash or the nWo in general, but Hogan vs. Nash was probably the way to go. If you like money.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Fingerpoke of Doom was silly but on it's own wasn't problematic.

NWO Wolfpac vs. WCW babyfaces had legs. Superbrawl IX was a decent show too. Unfortunately Hogan and Nash were playing to the crowd all the time and injuries left the storyline with nowhere to go. Then they did the confusing double turn with Flair and Hogan in March. I mean, Hulk's babyface turn should have been way bigger than it was. Spring Stampede 1999 was the last hurrah before Nitro became as middling as Thunder. Complete with incoherent alliances and monotonous promos. The next three PPVs were poor too. Babyface Kevin Nash feuding with Sid Vicious didn't inspire confidence and the return of Hulkamania was good for a one night pop. WCW had become a nostalgic relic of the early 90's in the edgy late 90's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts