Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that the WCW would have eventually have been sold anyway regardless of how successful the company was, due to the AOL merger?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Don't know. Maybe.

But if WCW hadn't lost so many fans but would have stayed no. 1 (or close), they probably would have found someone who bought them out and kept the promotion alive. Usually works this way with a successful product/company.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I would have liked to known what the outcome would have been if WCW were the no.1 promotion at the time of the buyout.
Although the reason they wern't no.1 was down to bad booking and the rise of the WWF...and not jamie kelner and AOL, which just opens up a whole other can of worms.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I would have liked to known what the outcome would have been if WCW were the no.1 promotion at the time of the buyout.
Although the reason they wern't no.1 was down to bad booking and the rise of the WWF...and not jamie kelner and AOL, which just opens up a whole other can of worms.
Like I wrote. If they would have been more successful, AOL still would have sold them. But the offer may have been better, and WCW would have ended up with an investor rather than some competitors, who used the current promotional crisis of the company (hence: lower worth on the market) to buy WCW, plunder it and kill it.

It's a only a possibility, but then WCW would have survived at first, possibly been restructured and eventually gotten a new slot on TV. McMahon only got WCW so cheap, because AOL pulled their show off TV when they were ready to sell it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think that they would have carried on being successful if they would have developed there mid card talent and pushed them to the main event scene throughout 1998 onwards?

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Do you think that they would have carried on being successful if they would have developed there mid card talent and pushed them to the main event scene throughout 1998 onwards?
It's unlikely. The mid-card guys most likely to get a push in WCW in 98 were Konnan, Disco and Kidman, none of whom had what it takes to be a headline star.

If it had been Benoit, Guerrero, Raven and the Franchise, maybe, but it was never going to be those guys.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why wouldn't it have been those guys? it was a hypothetical question, as the only guy who did get a push was goldberg. what i meant was that if they did push guys like benoit, guerrero, raven, jericho etc. (and even someone like the giant, if they were able to keep hold of him which i'm sure they would have if they pushed younger guys into the top spot) do you think they would have been a success as a promotion leading to the inevitable buyout?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't think they would've been successful, or gotten back to their 96-97 period whil Russo was on board. I mean the storylines and matches they had going on were just horrible. I was looking through some of their ppv matches last night matter of fact and the guys that were getting pushed, and the guys with crappy gimmicks were just overwhelmingly bad.

I mean, there very last PPV, Sin, the main event featured Scott Steiner, Sid Vicious, Jeff Jarrett, and a mystery opponent, and who was the mystery opponent you ask?!? Why it was Animal from the Road Warriors :/ . Sid cracked his fucking shin in half during the match, Goldberg was also "retired" in this event in a tag match after a "fan" sprayed mace in his face, and Luger hit him with a chair. There was also a "First Blood Chain Match" on the card, as well as a "Penalty Box Match". I mean what the fuck is this shit?

WCW from 96-early/mid 98 was great and I loved it growing up, but after that time frame it started going to hell rather quick. The constant matches with stupid stipulations, horrible gimmicks, older guys taking too much of a spot light, de-pushing there front runners (Goldberg, DDP, Sting, Bret) or if not de-pushing, i'd say throwing them in stupid feuds.

Another example of a stupid stipulation match, how about the tag team ladder match from Starcade 2000? The match wasn't for the Tag Titles, or even a tag team contendership. So what was it for you ask? Why it was for a shot at Chavo's Cruiserweight title for the next night on Nitro. :/ I mean come on now! A TAG TEAM Ladder Match, at the biggest show of the year, for a title shot for the CRUISERWEIGHT Title on the next nights Nitro. Just stupid as hell.

For them to really start making a good product again, it would've taken a miracle, and a COMPLETE overhaul of everything in my opinion. So many run ins, stupid stips, stupid heel/face turns, all these "authority figures", stupid "mystery opponents". It was just a huge clusterfuck, and it showed by the decreasing audience. By todays standards they were still pulling decent ratings, but I'll be damned if everyone actually liked the product. I watched it during that time every week, but I was still a huge mark and was 9-11 yrs old and didn't realize how horrible it was while it was happening.

Edit: After more scanning through some of their later PPVs, there PPV New Blood Rising from August of 2000 featured some of these fine match-ups:

Buff Bagwell vs. Kanyon, the match was, get ready for it, the match was a "Judy Bagwell on a Forklift Match". Hahahahaha Christ thats absurd.

Also on the card was a ladder match, a four corners tag match for the tag gold with THREE GUEST REFEREES, a strap match, a Mud Rip Off Clothes Match, and a Canadian Rules Match.

Horrible stuff.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
I mean, there very last PPV, Sin, the main event featured Scott Steiner, Sid Vicious, Jeff Jarrett, and a mystery opponent, and who was the mystery opponent you ask?!? Why it was Animal from the Road Warriors :/ . Sid cracked his fucking shin in half during the match, Goldberg was also "retired" in this event in a tag match after a "fan" sprayed mace in his face, and Luger hit him with a chair. There was also a "First Blood Chain Match" on the card, as well as a "Penalty Box Match". I mean what the fuck is this shit?
Russo didn't book Sin; he lost the book in October 2000 after suffering a concussion at the hands of (surprise, surprise) Goldberg. Sin was actually booked by Kevin Nash.

Also, Greed was the last WCW PPV.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Sin PPV and the horrible booking all happened because they didn't push the younger guys when they should have. Starrcade in 1997 should have represented the time when the younger WCW guys were pushed to higher mid card and main event level. When Sting beat Hogan we should have saw the eventual demise of the new world order, leading to guys like Hogan and Savage getting the elbow (no pun intended) and fresh faces taking there spot. Instead we got two more years of Hogan, Savage, Nash all on top. If they would have pushed the likes of Benoit, Guerrero, Raven at this time period, Russo wouldn't have even been needed in WCW

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Yes.

The sale was inevitable. The lucrative contracts Bischoff handed out to WWF/WWE talent to jump ship to WCW honestly made that company unsalvageable. I began seeing the cracks start around late 97 and by mid to late 98 those cracks quickly became potholes and don't get me started on 99 or the Russo era because the party was over way before then.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sale only happened though because of Jamie Kelner. Who's to say WCW couldn't have been kept around. Yes it would have had horrible booking and would have been presented as a joke but there still would have been an audiance for the product however bad the booking was, look at TNA today for the proof.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Russo didn't book Sin; he lost the book in October 2000 after suffering a concussion at the hands of (surprise, surprise) Goldberg. Sin was actually booked by Kevin Nash.

Also, Greed was the last WCW PPV.
Ok my apologies about being wrong on the booking situation, though Russo wasn't helping the product either with his almost equally as shitty booking. That stuff is beyond horrible. Good on Goldy for giving Russo a concussion too. I was going by wikipedia on the PPVs and it has Sin listed as their last PPV. Sorry.

Edit: Greed is listed as their last, I just had the Sin opened in the browser and wrote it incorrectly.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The sale only happened though because of Jamie Kelner. Who's to say WCW couldn't have been kept around. Yes it would have had horrible booking and would have been presented as a joke but there still would have been an audiance for the product however bad the booking was, look at TNA today for the proof.
If a company would've backed it after Kelner came in, then sure, it would've survived. Atleast for awhile, I doubt someone would continue to fund them with the decreasing revenue and viewership though, but thats all "what ifs" and we'll honestly never know. I'd say if Turner could've bought it he would've kept it around no matter what and that would've been it's only chance at survival (financially anyway).

·
4X Efed World Champion
676 Posts
Yeah those last few years of WCW were pretty sad. I will say this. At 1st I didn't care for the Natural Born Thrillers...but as time has moved on, and I look back, they were actually pretty good. Palumbo & O'Haire IMO were awesome. Jindrak was ok. Shawn Stasiak was kinda a dark horse. When they hooked him up with Ms Hancock Stacy Keibler and had him feud with Bam Bam Bigalow, that was the end for him IMO.

I also think at the end, that Cruiserweight divison was getting pretty good. Kidman, Mysterio, "Primetime" Elix Skipper, "Sugar" Shane Helms, Chavo Guerrero and Kid Romeo were all pretty good IMO.

I loved watching some of the legends, but I agree they should have been moved out of the spot light. It's just a shame that when the WWE bought the WCW, they didn't use it longer than they should have. If they had just booked it the right way, who knows how successful it could have become.

But because of Vince's ego, he decided since he controlled WCW, why not piss on it's history, and bury it in front of everyone to see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts