Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1997 up until the end of WCW saw what is generally seen as the greatest Cruiserweight Division in wrestling history. With talent like Dean Malenko, Juventud Guerrera, Rey Mysterio, Jr., Blitzkrieg, Jushin Liger, Ultimo Dragon and Psychosis, they would often open WCW shows with amazing matches. There was a multitude of six man tag matches, awesome 3 way dances and electrifying singles matches. They put on some of the most technically sound matches mixed with dangerous high flying maneuvers that you won't see anywhere else. They brought us several classics, most notably Rey Mysterio, Jr. vs. Eddie Guerrero at Halloween Havoc 1997.

They hardly get discussed around here, but I know that they have a large following. Here are a couple of my favorite matches from the division:

This match sees my two favorites in the division(excluding Malenko, who basically WAS the division) putting on a great match. There are so many fantastic sequences, and the finisher was as brutal as they come.

Awesome tag-team moves(6:35 especially) and amazing displays of agility. Words really can't do justice to some of the great sequences in this match.

Were you a fan of the WCW Cruiserweight Division? If so, what were some of your favorite matches? Who were your favorites in the division?

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
I agree that the CW division over on WCW was the best action from around the world, the best Cruiserweights from all over the globe came to wrestle there. Jericho, Malenko, Eddie, Rey, LA Parka (one of my personal favorites), Kidman, Chavo and more. It was something that you couldn't miss.

But what I don't like about that title is that it keeps those wrestlers in a deadend division. It's what was wrong with WCW not pushing newer stars like the ones I mentioned above, the main reason why most of them came to the WWE/WWF at the time. If your fighting for the CW title your not likely to go anwhere else while if you don't have a CW title, those selected guys can go to divisions higher up and showcase themselves somemore.

There isn't really a point in that division besdies curtian jerkers, let them go to the mid card/tag team division instead.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I definitely agree that it held them back. A select few (Dean Malenko with the US Heavyweight and Tag Titles comes to mind) made it beyond the division while in WCW, but most of them were held back. A large majority of the wrestlers in the division were highly skilled technically, and would have fit very well going for the US Heavyweight or TV titles.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,070 Posts
Rey Mysterio is not only my favorite cruiserweight ever but one of my Top 10 favorite wrestlers of all time. A one of a kind performer that mixed US and Lucha style better than any and that's no disrespect to the Guerrero family especially Eddie who is phenomenal in his own right. I love Mysterio because he knows how to sell being an underdog with every being in his body. He already has the size of an underdog but he can also exude the struggle of a match so well threw the mask and that's why so many fans rooted for him, and I think that separated him from guys like a Juvi or Psychosis. Rey can structure the substance with the thrilling moves to tell great stories and he pretty much perfected the style once he hit the WWE. He probably had to because of the injuries he suffered over the years. Mysterio is an amazing high flyer and storyteller but he's also genuinely one of the nicest wrestlers I have ever met. I'm rooting for him because he's going through a lot in life and I want to see him come back for another strong run or two if his body allows him to.

Some of my favorite Rey Mysterio WCW matches:

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (Mask vs. Title), WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Halloween Havoc 1997

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Psychosis, Bash At The Beach 1996

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Dean Malenko, WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Halloween Havoc 1996

Último Dragón vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., J-Crown Cruiserweight Championship, World War 3 1996

Kidman vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Juventud Guerrera (Triangle Match), WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Starrcade 1998

Kidman vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Monday Nitro 03/15/1999

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Psychosis vs. Blitzkrieg vs. Juventud Guerrera (Four Corners Match), WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Monday Nitro 04/19/1999

Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Great American Bash 1996

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Super Caló, WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Fall Brawl 1996

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., WCW Cruiserweight Championship, SuperBrawl Revenge 2001

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Último Dragón, Spring Stampede 1997

Juventud Guerrera vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., WCW Cruiserweight Championship, Thunder 01/15/1998

Rey Mysterio Jr. & Kidman vs. Eddie Guerrero & Juventud Guerrera, Monday Nitro 12/28/1998

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio Jr., Monday Nitro 12/21/1998

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I agree that the CW division over on WCW was the best action from around the world, the best Cruiserweights from all over the globe came to wrestle there. Jericho, Malenko, Eddie, Rey, LA Parka (one of my personal favorites), Kidman, Chavo and more. It was something that you couldn't miss.

But what I don't like about that title is that it keeps those wrestlers in a deadend division. It's what was wrong with WCW not pushing newer stars like the ones I mentioned above, the main reason why most of them came to the WWE/WWF at the time. If your fighting for the CW title your not likely to go anwhere else while if you don't have a CW title, those selected guys can go to divisions higher up and showcase themselves somemore.

There isn't really a point in that division besdies curtian jerkers, let them go to the mid card/tag team division instead.
I think you maybe confused with the TV title. The Cruiserweight title didnt necessarily hold the wrestlers down, especially as it was built around certain ones.

Still, an immense roster.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mysterio vs. Malenko was my favorite feud in 1996. You'd be hard pressed to find a single truly bad match that Rey worked in WCW.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i say WWE should bring back this division ... it gave a lot of "small guys the chance to show their stuff with speed and agility ... gives us a break from all the "meat and beef" of the heavyweight division

·
Banned
254 Posts
By the late 90s the CWs were the only good thing about WCW, although the rest of the program did start to look up again at the very end.

·
Banned
882 Posts
The CW division was really the greatest thing Bischoff ever did. The NWO angle ended up killing WCW, but the cruiserweights were one of the one reasons people kept watching all those years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts