Wrestling Forum banner

What to do?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found myself in a situation where I am watching wrestling with a full on mark who does not know wrestling history, how wrestling works, wrestling terms or anything of the sort. I've been living with my current roommate for a few months now. He saw me watching Raw and wanted to watch with me. We've been watching it together since then. His only knowledge of wrestling is seeing a few things here and there. As I watch with him, I see him marking out over the stupidest of shit because he just does not understand the world of wrestling. I end up bursting his bubble and explaining how shit really works.

Here is my question and the point of this thread... should I let him continue to be a mark or should I pop the cherry and fill him in on how things really work? Once the curtain has been pulled, there is no going back. You can't un-see what you have seen. The bigger question is: what's better... being able to buy into it or knowing what the deal is?

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
I'd say, don't fill him in. Let him enjoy it however that is. He'll have that child like innocence about wrestling that we had at one point before we all became complaining assholes on a forum who could book better than Vince.

·
Banned
853 Posts
Let him be a mark. Absolutely the right thing to do. Its so much fun when you don't know the insider crap. My little brother always enjoys the stuff we usually call stupid and bitch about.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Don't ruin it for him man. Only when you know he's sucked in for sure, start talking to him about pushes and backstage politics and all that shit.

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,522 Posts
Tell him! My father told me that it's fake the very first time I've seen it. He probably didn't want me to like it, but I fell in love with wrestling, even though I always knew it was scripted.

·
No Kings
422 Posts
I watch wrestling with similar people. They know wrestling is scripted but still mark out over pretty routine stuff. While they sometimes question some wins/losses I never bother to explain the politics of booking or the like.

Yeah, I'd say just let him continue being a mark. Sometimes I wish I didn't know about the politics/backstage stuff and just were just able to enjoy it as if it were real.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
I watched the entire Austin vs McMahon feud not knowing WWF was scripted.It was such a wonderful experience.The moment I knew wrestling was scripted,the joy wasn't the same again.Though I have become more obsessed with wrestling.Lol

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell him! My father told me that it's fake the very first time I've seen it. He probably didn't want me to like it, but I fell in love with wrestling, even though I always knew it was scripted.
See, this is kinda what I was thinking. I don't think I would still be a wrestling fan if I had remained a mark. Oftentimes, he'll get upset over so and so getting beat up but when I explain to him how it's a good thing, so the face getting beat up can get his victory at the PPV, he appreciates it a little better.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Don't ruin it, he watch it exactly like he should. I think the best memories of many wrestling fan are when they didn't knew it was fake or when they were new to it and thought that a jobber could beat a Main-Eventer, NEVER ruin it, just wait for him to see it himself.

·
Super Moderator
25,840 Posts
I'd say, don't fill him in. Let him enjoy it however that is. He'll have that child like innocence about wrestling that we had at one point before we all became complaining assholes on a forum who could book better than Vince.
:lol

Yeah, just let him stay a mark. Hell, with how dead kayfabe is these days, it's nice to see some people still mark for it like it's real.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Telling someone it's 'not real' isn't really making them a Smark. Nor is it 'popping their cherry' of mark-dom either :lol.

I've known since the first episode I watched in around 03-04, but still was emotionally invested in characters like a true mark until about 09.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Telling someone it's 'not real' isn't really making them a Smark. Nor is it 'popping their cherry' of mark-dom either :lol.

I've known since the first episode I watched in around 03-04, but still was emotionally invested in characters like a true mark until about 09.
Yeah, it's not like he thinks it's real. He knows it's scripted. He just doesn't know the full on smark stuff like pushes and backstage politics.

·
From parts unknown
23,267 Posts
Kids gotta learn eventually that Santa Claus isn't real.

Probably best to let him figure things out on his own. Until and unless you think that telling him will improve his understanding, and thereby give an opportunity to both of you to discuss things in greater depth. You can't "ruin" wrestling for someone imo. You just change how they view it, and I honestly see nothing wrong in doing that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts