Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody in the world knows Scorpio Sky is not beating Jericho for the title, just like everyone knew Darby Allin wasn't either. What's the point of these matches? If anything it just devalues a belt that is desperate for prestige by having Jericho defend it against midcarders. World Title matches are supposed to be special, it's supposed to be the best vs the best, which clearly in kayfabe this isn't.

I hate to use WWE as a reference point, but you don't see Lesnar and Wyatt defending their belts against Ricochet and Cesaro, this shit is just a waste of time.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
They’re probably doing it similar to how NJPW and ROH do it. Not just how long someone holds the belt but how many successful defenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
996 Posts
I can't understand it either. Darby was one thing, but not this joker.

He'll lose and then be back with the other two charisma vacuums.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Why everybody is so excited about the fiend vs Bryan ?

I mean everybody know that Bryan have 0 chance to win.

AEW proved that a wrestler can lose a match and be more over after the match.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why everybody is so excited about the fiend vs Bryan ?

I mean everybody know that Bryan have 0 chance to win.

AEW proved that a wrestler can lose a match and be more over after the match.
Nobody is excited for that match except Bryan haters, plus Bryan is a former 5 time world champion.

BTW, this is not a Scorpio Sky hate thread, I actually like the guy, but BUILD HIM UP to main event level before giving him a title match. I just think this kinda stuff makes the belt look like a bit of a joke. I mean why in kayfabe are Allin and Sky getting shots over Mox, Omega and PAC?

·
DON'T BE SCARED HOMIE!
114 Posts
I assume it's to ease up on the super cards and also keep the younger talents away from the big title picture. Darby was too hot of a prospect not to throw a bone, but everyone newer (MJF, Havoc, Janela, etc.) has to wait so long. The majority has just been YB's friends v. Jericho. I really dislike Jericho's schtick at the moment with The Inner Circle but enjoy his workrate. Darby felt like they were slowing down a bit and giving someone new a chance, but Scorpio feels like a complete drop from that and proves my point. It's one of many stigmas I have watching most of AEW. It's always their "clique" getting the big matches. They should have a decent match, but nothing compared to what Jericho's put out with everyone else.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
-Because they're in a ratings war and they think a world title match will help them win the night
-Because they've been slowly hinting at a big Scorpio Sky singles run since the beginning of AEW. JR calls him the best athlete in AEW in every SCU match

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,601 Posts
At some point, these 'pointless title defences' is going to lead to an upset. Set up the tropes and 'lore' of each person involved & you can develop their personal stories to the point where fans are conditioned to them.

Look towards Flair going around the world to defend in the early & mid 80s. No-one likely would take the belt off him, but it helped the guys in those territories get over with the crowd. At some point down the line, Scorpio Sky is going to have the background that warrants him being an established threat to winning the belt.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
Nobody is excited for that match except Bryan haters, plus Bryan is a former 5 time world champion.

BTW, this is not a Scorpio Sky hate thread, I actually like the guy, but BUILD HIM UP to main event level before giving him a title match. I just think this kinda stuff makes the belt look like a bit of a joke. I mean why in kayfabe are Allin and Sky getting shots over Mox, Omega and PAC?
Darby had a better record than the 3 when his match was announced.

Jericho gave the match to Sky

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To make stars you fools. Are you really that dumb not understand it.

Already Scorpio Sky looks a bigger deal, like Darby Allin looks a bigger deal. Going toe to toe with the champ was a big deal before WWE blew it. Great booking to make stars.
No it doesn't, it makes it look like anyone can get a world title match.

Let Darby and Scorpio got toe to toe with Jericho in a non-title, fine, fan-fucking-tastic.

Them wrestling for the title before being elevated to main event status makes the belt look worthless.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,366 Posts
If OP's idea of a good title reign is a brock lesnar style reign, then he has bad taste. Jericho is putting these guys over. What do you want aew to blow all their big matches weeks into the show? I miss the days when midcarders would get tv title matches like jeff hardy did for example. It makes them look good gives the champion successful defences. No one wants a champion who never defends the belt.

Most wrestling is predictable. Everyone knows brock is winning this Sunday unless cain gets involved. Everyone knows bray is winning sunday. Should you cancel those two matches?

·
Southern Pride
2,897 Posts
You are over thinking it.

Plus Lesnar doesn't wrestle on weekly TV (excluding the first FOX Smackdown episode). Wyatt is pretty much the same way too now.

It's AEW taking advantage of the momentum that Scorpio Sky has gotten since the start of the Tag Team tourney by giving him a chance to shine on his own in a match vs. the World Champ. Jericho putting him over during the match, building stars. That is the point.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I agree. It was one thing doing it with Cena back in 2015 because he held a midcard belt and the opponents were somewhat realistic winners with them being nxt callups etc. People towards the end of the match thought Cena was losing. No one thought Darby was winning. Just make it a non title match where they get a title match if they win. With that being said I trust aew in booking no matter what since they actually know what they are doing unlike that other joke of a entertainment company.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
AEW World Title should only be defended at PPV's to make them special and worth $50 bucks and should only be against opponents where there is real chance there could be a title change.

Jericho vs Allin could have told the same story being non-title. If you beat Jericho non-title then it earns you a title shot or at least rockets you up the rankings. No need to cheapen the title with throw-away title shots.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Everybody in the world knows Scorpio Sky is not beating Jericho for the title, just like everyone knew Darby Allin wasn't either. What's the point of these matches? If anything it just devalues a belt that is desperate for prestige by having Jericho defend it against midcarders. World Title matches are supposed to be special, it's supposed to be the best vs the best, which clearly in kayfabe this isn't.

I hate to use WWE as a reference point, but you don't see Lesnar and Wyatt defending their belts against Ricochet and Cesaro, this shit is just a waste of time.
I heavily disagree, OP. It makes the shows must watch, not feel like filler/skippable, and elevates both the champion and contender. I'm personally not a fan of a guy holding the belt for 500+ days and only defending it a hand full of times. More power to you if you like that kind of thing though.

Btw Lesnar defending his title against Cesaro on RAW would have been amazing a few years back (not suplex city/squash bullshit).

1 - 20 of 67 Posts